Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How Not To Be That Guy

Message Subject: How Not To Be That Guy
Flambeauski
Posted 5/3/2017 3:10 PM (#860598 - in reply to #859659)
Subject: Re: How Not To Be That Guy

You know what annoys me? When someone invites me to join them in their boat and then get peeed every time i fart or cough or have a smoke or accidentally drop a weed in the boat or don't clean all the sand off my shoes or don't pony up for their lunch or pay for 2 weeks of their gas.

Don't people fish with each other because they enjoy the company anymore? Take the good with the bad?
esoxaddict
Posted 5/3/2017 3:25 PM (#860601 - in reply to #859659)

Sometimes the most enjoyable part of fishing is the fact that there is nobody else around...
Posted 5/3/2017 4:27 PM (#860615 - in reply to #860598)

Flambeauski - 5/3/2017 3:10 PM

You know what annoys me? When someone invites me to join them in their boat and then get peeed every time i fart or cough or have a smoke or accidentally drop a weed in the boat or don't clean all the sand off my shoes or don't pony up for their lunch or pay for 2 weeks of their gas.

Don't people fish with each other because they enjoy the company anymore? Take the good with the bad?
Yes very anal.I would bet most the anals are divorced too ,and it was the ex's fault.Flambeau another good post as usual.
North of 8
Posted 5/3/2017 6:22 PM (#860642 - in reply to #860598)

As I read some of the posts, I thought the same thing: Don't you invite people because you enjoy their company? This is fishing, not brain surgery. I understand being organized, and keeping the decks that way but sheesh, lighten up folks. Life is short.
Schultz345
Posted 5/3/2017 7:59 PM (#860664 - in reply to #859659)

This is a long list that reminds me how much I love being out alone on the lake. No one to be concerned about except yourself. Until you catch a fish.
banditman
Posted 5/12/2017 11:01 AM (#861466 - in reply to #859659)
Subject: RE: How Not To Be That Guy

I went on a short trip the other day with "That Guy".  It was just a day trip but the other guy broke just about all the rules. First, he wasn't late, but when I woke up an let the dogs out he was standing in my back yard smoking an hour before I told him to be there. We get to the lake that day and no glasses and no sunscreen. Thats Ok, I keep extra in the boat. While we are out fishing he is on his phone constantly. While we are talking he doesn't believe a dam thing I say and has to google everything to fact check me. Starting to get annoyed at this point. This is the first week of the season, so small twitch baits, gliders,  and small bucks should be the lures right? Nope, he wants to throw cowgirls and BIG topwater. I'm OK with that . whatever trips your trigger man. Ill just focus on actually catching a fish. Now its time for lunch. There a nice looking bar, we'll go there. No offer to buy a drink for the guy whos boat you've been fishing out of all day. not even an offer to leave a big tip, just pays his bill and and back to the boat. Really annoyed now!!! Back to fishing for a few hours then pack up and head home. Takes him forever to pack up with his crap spread all over the boat. takes me about five minutes.  Get to landing and  we put the boat on the trailer. No offer to help get the boat ready to travel. Just sitting on a bench starring at his phone. ARRRGH!!!! On the way home now and he's sleeping about ten minutes into the ride, Thats ok until he starts snoring. We get back to my place and he unloads his stuff and leaves. No offer of gas money, no thanks for the day of fishing. Nothing!!!! Last time that joker ever steps foot in my boat!!!!   

jonnysled
Posted 5/12/2017 12:20 PM (#861470 - in reply to #859659)

how many fish did you catch?
DBJr
Posted 5/13/2017 9:25 AM (#861549 - in reply to #859659)

Some would call it "anal", I call it common courtesy & respect. Treat people & their personal property as you & yours would like to be treated. Kind of like that "Golden Rule" deal. If I've had problems or should I say repeated situations with certain "friends", they don't go with me anymore.
Jeremy
Posted 5/13/2017 9:06 PM (#861576 - in reply to #860598)

I agree with most of what you said but....I got a nice boat...you should always knock the sand of your shoes when ya step into a nice rig. I do. And I vacuum my boat carpet once a season B/4 vacation with the family. A clean rig is nice.

And I don't wear shoes in my my home...or anyone else's either!

It's just respectful.
Mudpuppy
Posted 5/15/2017 7:02 AM (#861645 - in reply to #861576)

Yep, its the all a out me generation. Call it anal, but the money we have invested in boats and equipment, sheeesh. I Like Jeremy's attitude.

Mudpuppy
Mudpuppy
Posted 5/15/2017 7:05 AM (#861646 - in reply to #861576)

Yep, its the all a out me generation. Call it anal, but the money we have invested in boats and equipment, sheeesh. I Like Jeremy's attitude.

Mudpuppy
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 5/15/2017 8:28 AM (#861655 - in reply to #859659)

Instead of complaining about excessive flatulence, why not just keep some Beano in your rig?

Yes, I am sponsored by Beano. Hope this doesn't violate the board's posting policies.
darbogast90
Posted 5/15/2017 2:17 PM (#861715 - in reply to #859659)

I don't hate everyone, that came off way too harsh, though, didn't it? I am misunderstood and that is okay. All I'm getting at is that I don't care for one to complain that they aren't seeing any, when they haven't been doing much. That's all.
Posted 5/15/2017 8:35 PM (#861773 - in reply to #861715)

I think most here should fish by themselves..If I ask someone to go I don't expect them to pay .If they feel like offering money or food ,fine. If they don't thats ok too.Sand in your boat bothers you?Keep it in the garage like one famous board member here does to keepit well preserved from that guy.Alot of you here sound like that girl, not a hardcore musky angler.
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/18/2017 1:54 PM (#862053 - in reply to #861773)

I've noticed that most slobs call people who like to stay reasonably clean and organized "anal". 

I personally don't care about a little sand in my boat, same with weeds or stuff laying around when in use... but I do like to stay more organized than most.

Yesterday, while walking into a customers high-end home I noticed that he took off his shoes, I followed suit and took mine off... was easy enough to follow his lead even though I don't normally take my shoes off in my own house. 

IMHO boat guests being lazy about putting stuff away, or not spending 30 seconds to clean sand or mud from their shoes is simply bad form IMHO I also consider it rude when somebody doesn't make a reasonable offer to share expenses. Now, it doesn't necessarily mean I will accept, but for some clown to think that just because I invited them to go fishing they are entitled to a free roll is wrong on so many levels it would be an effort in futility to try to explain it to "that guy".

short STRIKE
Posted 5/18/2017 2:32 PM (#862056 - in reply to #862053)

Then isn't it reasonable to say the failure is in the question when some people are expecting a monetary donation towards the trip?

Shouldn't the dialogue read "Do you want to split expenses with me on a fishing trip?"

rather than...

"Do you want to go fishing with me?"

Just me, but if I invite someone out to dinner, it isn't so they pick up their half of the check.

Edited by short STRIKE 5/18/2017 2:35 PM
North of 8
Posted 5/18/2017 6:14 PM (#862066 - in reply to #859659)

I wonder if the tables are ever turned, where a neat organized guy is invited to fish in a boat where the owner throws everything from empty beer cans to sandwich wrappers in the bottom of the boat and doesn't pick up between trips.

I thought of this because of a guy I had contact with at the boat landing as a clean water volunteer. It was about ten years ago and a lot of people had questions about why we were there. Most were great when we explained and gave them some literature about invasive species. One guy I talked to twice would swear a blue streak, say he didn't have time, even though most people just answered while readying the boat. He had a seasonal site at a nearby campground and came up on weekends. His boat looked like the other campers had used it as a dumpster during the week, with empty beer and soda cans, a bunch of empty cigarette packs, candy bar wrappers, and assorted other trash covering pretty much every flat surface. I sincerely have no idea how he walked around in there without stumbling, tripping. Had I been invited to fish in a boat like that, I think I would have been grabbing the nearest plastic bag and tossing stuff in. Apparently he didn't have time to pick anything up, in addition to not having time to speak to us.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/18/2017 7:39 PM (#862073 - in reply to #859659)

I think you can tell a lot about a person by looking at the inside of their boat, or the inside of their truck. If they don't care enough about their own environment to keep it looking decent, they're likely not going to give other people much consideration either.
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/18/2017 8:11 PM (#862079 - in reply to #862056)

short STRIKE - 5/18/2017 2:32 PM Then isn't it reasonable to say the failure is in the question when some people are expecting a monetary donation towards the trip? Shouldn't the dialogue read "Do you want to split expenses with me on a fishing trip?" rather than... "Do you want to go fishing with me?" Just me, but if I invite someone out to dinner, it isn't so they pick up their half of the check.

Yep, I think it's still bad form not to “offer” something when invited, even if it's just lunch or dinner. Again, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be accepted, it's just proper etiquette for some of us along the lines of bringing the hostess a gift when invited over to someone's house party.

Getting back to inviting somebody to go fishing, I think we're talking apples and oranges here because some of us have to travel long distances to fish, at least that's my frame of reference.  If you're talking about meeting somebody at a local boat ramp for a day on water, I tend to agree... but I would still bring a gift lure… or something for the boat as a thank you.  Maybe that's just me?

However, keep in mind that when some of us ask someone else if they want to go fishing, it's a trip of hundreds of miles and for a long weekend. Now if you jump into a vehicle with the boat and gear ready to go, travel hundreds of miles, and then don't offer anything along the way… well, I’d guess that would be the one and only invitation for most of us reading this.  

A quick review of the original post of “how not to be that guy”. “Oh and if you get invited out regularly, offer to chip in for gas. A gas station gift card is the easy way to make this happen.”  

Posted 5/19/2017 9:16 AM (#862116 - in reply to #862079)

Most of you should fish from shore.Besides being anal you're cheap too.
short STRIKE
Posted 5/19/2017 9:41 AM (#862117 - in reply to #862079)

Jerry Newman - 5/18/2017 8:11 PM

short STRIKE - 5/18/2017 2:32 PM Then isn't it reasonable to say the failure is in the question when some people are expecting a monetary donation towards the trip? Shouldn't the dialogue read "Do you want to split expenses with me on a fishing trip?" rather than... "Do you want to go fishing with me?" Just me, but if I invite someone out to dinner, it isn't so they pick up their half of the check.

Yep, I think it's still bad form not to “offer” something when invited, even if it's just lunch or dinner. Again, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be accepted, it's just proper etiquette for some of us along the lines of bringing the hostess a gift when invited over to someone's house party.

Getting back to inviting somebody to go fishing, I think we're talking apples and oranges here because some of us have to travel long distances to fish, at least that's my frame of reference.  If you're talking about meeting somebody at a local boat ramp for a day on water, I tend to agree... but I would still bring a gift lure… or something for the boat as a thank you.  Maybe that's just me?

However, keep in mind that when some of us ask someone else if they want to go fishing, it's a trip of hundreds of miles and for a long weekend. Now if you jump into a vehicle with the boat and gear ready to go, travel hundreds of miles, and then don't offer anything along the way… well, I’d guess that would be the one and only invitation for most of us reading this.  

A quick review of the original post of “how not to be that guy”. “Oh and if you get invited out regularly, offer to chip in for gas. A gas station gift card is the easy way to make this happen.”  

I'm picking up what you're laying down, and I tend to follow the same etiquette guidelines as yourself... All I am saying is that not everyone has the same social mentalities, experiences, or history. Some people may not realize that it is proper procedure to offer some type of assistance in the days expenses, or a "gift lure" to show appreciation. And that is where my point is coming from... If some type of "cost sharing" is expected then it is the responsibility of the inviting party to make that known ahead of time.
North of 8
Posted 5/19/2017 3:57 PM (#862173 - in reply to #862079)

Jerry Newman - 5/18/2017 8:11 PM

Certainly, if you are traveling several hundred miles and overnight, what you expect from an invited guest would be different than someone coming out for an afternoon on a local lake but still seems reasonable to let them know ahead of time what your expectations are as far as cost sharing.
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/21/2017 11:45 AM (#862307 - in reply to #862173)

Point taken and maybe explaining expectations to the inexperienced is more warranted than I first thought, especially first timers. However, I'm still of the opinion that there's kind of an unwritten mutual understanding between more experienced anglers that costs ect. will be shared. IMHO even if it's just a day on the water, the invited guest should at least “offer” to pick up lunch or something as previously mentioned in this thread.    

On a slightly different front but along the same lines; what about a guest who stupidly breaks something expensive, loses an expensive lure, or loses a rod/reel over the side? Should this potential expense be explained before the trip too? It's my opinion if you break something you should pay for it, but in the real world that's obviously a slippery slope, especially for those who are clueless about what some of this stuff costs to replace.   

I know a guide who had a client drop a fairly new and expensive rod/reel combination over the side. The guide told him the good news is he gets a nice discount on his tackle, the bad news is it's still $_x_, and at the end of the day his clients paid him for the trip, but only gave him the exact $_x_ to cover the rod/reel.  According to my friend, they had a great time and had high praise, but questioned the charge of the “used” rod and reel.

Anyway, I'm guessing most of us reading this would have paid for the rod/reel, and still tipped the guide. I’m also guessing some reading this think it was wrong for this guide to still expect a tip. In my world tipping is not something that a guide should ever have to explain as an “expectation”, and is along the lines of at least “offering” something when you fish out of somebody else's boat. One of those unwritten rules that shows appreciation.

I had a guy trash a down east rod holder a while back, he was a newer friend but this was probably his fourth or fifth fish that trip and about our fifth trip together, he jammed on the rod like a freaking Neanderthal and bent the rod holder so bad that it was un-repairable (I still can hardly believe he didn't break the rod in two). When I informed him of the cost of a new DE (after allowing him plenty of time to pony up), he looked at me sideways and asked with a little attitude “how old was that thing”, like it was defective or something. Well, I had gotten somewhat use to him being on the lazy, unorganized, and cheap side, but that little incident was the last straw for both of us and we haven't talked since.

Conversely, I had a good friend bash the side of my boat hard into the dock when he missed driving it on the trailer, and after we looked at the damage he said “get it fixed and send me the bill”. Although I told him not to worry about it, it was “the gesture” that was appreciated here, and not so much the cost of the repair. My point is this; I shouldn't have had to ask the DE guy, nor should I have had to inform him that if he ignorantly breaks something he should volunteer to pay for it.

A long time ago I hit a rock with my lower unit on Lake of the Woods and later got a check in the mail from my boat partner with a note “to help cover the cost of damage”, he did this even though it was 100% my fault. I called him and explained this, but he insisted we should share the cost. In sum; these are not the type of good character gestures you will ever get from “that guy”.

I think the article is basically training wheels for "how not to be that guy” and more geared to try to help the inexperienced who might think that someone who runs a tight ship is anal, or the host expecting some type of goodwill gesture is just being cheap. Perhaps I’ve just weeded through my boat partners enough through the years, or maybe the guys I typically fish with now are not only great people, but also seasoned veterans that know enough about the expenses of maintaining and operating a boat to always “offer”.

Jeremy
Posted 5/21/2017 1:53 PM (#862316 - in reply to #862307)

Nice post Jerry.

I'm always amazed at the difference in people and their expectations when they use other peoples eqpt.

I don't know what some people expect but it all simply (hmmm..??) comes to being a gentleman and trying to imagine what you (they) would do if the given situation were reversed and the eqpt. were their own.

Basically it's common sense and overall decency but there-in lies the conundrum as people vary so much. Pity too because it spoils it for the rest.

"It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack!"

I'd fish with ya...if I weren't so danged cheap to have to hire a guide. It'd likely pay dividends for my learning scale. But...I'm such a cheap bugger...;)

Have a good season, man.

Jeremy.
Posted 5/21/2017 3:48 PM (#862328 - in reply to #862307)

Jerry Newman - 5/21/2017 11:45 AM

Point taken and maybe explaining expectations to the inexperienced is more warranted than I first thought, especially first timers. However, I'm still of the opinion that there's kind of an unwritten mutual understanding between more experienced anglers that costs ect. will be shared. IMHO even if it's just a day on the water, the invited guest should at least “offer” to pick up lunch or something as previously mentioned in this thread.    

On a slightly different front but along the same lines; what about a guest who stupidly breaks something expensive, loses an expensive lure, or loses a rod/reel over the side? Should this potential expense be explained before the trip too? It's my opinion if you break something you should pay for it, but in the real world that's obviously a slippery slope, especially for those who are clueless about what some of this stuff costs to replace.   

I know a guide who had a client drop a fairly new and expensive rod/reel combination over the side. The guide told him the good news is he gets a nice discount on his tackle, the bad news is it's still $_x_, and at the end of the day his clients paid him for the trip, but only gave him the exact $_x_ to cover the rod/reel.  According to my friend, they had a great time and had high praise, but questioned the charge of the “used” rod and reel.

Anyway, I'm guessing most of us reading this would have paid for the rod/reel, and still tipped the guide. I’m also guessing some reading this think it was wrong for this guide to still expect a tip. In my world tipping is not something that a guide should ever have to explain as an “expectation”, and is along the lines of at least “offering” something when you fish out of somebody else's boat. One of those unwritten rules that shows appreciation.

I had a guy trash a down east rod holder a while back, he was a newer friend but this was probably his fourth or fifth fish that trip and about our fifth trip together, he jammed on the rod like a freaking Neanderthal and bent the rod holder so bad that it was un-repairable (I still can hardly believe he didn't break the rod in two). When I informed him of the cost of a new DE (after allowing him plenty of time to pony up), he looked at me sideways and asked with a little attitude “how old was that thing”, like it was defective or something. Well, I had gotten somewhat use to him being on the lazy, unorganized, and cheap side, but that little incident was the last straw for both of us and we haven't talked since.

Conversely, I had a good friend bash the side of my boat hard into the dock when he missed driving it on the trailer, and after we looked at the damage he said “get it fixed and send me the bill”. Although I told him not to worry about it, it was “the gesture” that was appreciated here, and not so much the cost of the repair. My point is this; I shouldn't have had to ask the DE guy, nor should I have had to inform him that if he ignorantly breaks something he should volunteer to pay for it.

A long time ago I hit a rock with my lower unit on Lake of the Woods and later got a check in the mail from my boat partner with a note “to help cover the cost of damage”, he did this even though it was 100% my fault. I called him and explained this, but he insisted we should share the cost. In sum; these are not the type of good character gestures you will ever get from “that guy”.

I think the article is basically training wheels for "how not to be that guy” and more geared to try to help the inexperienced who might think that someone who runs a tight ship is anal, or the host expecting some type of goodwill gesture is just being cheap. Perhaps I’ve just weeded through my boat partners enough through the years, or maybe the guys I typically fish with now are not only great people, but also seasoned veterans that know enough about the expenses of maintaining and operating a boat to always “offer”.

Unreal Now he has people paying for his faults too.No wonder noone liked Newman on that show.I hope you sell used cars but you probably wine too much to be good at it.I wonder why one has so many problems with boat partners?Maybe it is the boat owner?I don't know that is just my thoughts.Have a good season all and read the contract before you hop in someone's boat it might not be worth it if you fish with some on this board. You might be liable to buy them a whole new rig.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/21/2017 4:15 PM (#862332 - in reply to #862328)

I can see not thinking about offering to pay for gas or buy lunch or whatever - that's just not thinking. But if someone throws an $800 combo overboard, it should not have to be discussed beforehand that said person would pay to replace it. Accidents happen, but if you break someone's #*#* or lose it or whatever? Wow.
Sidejack
Posted 5/21/2017 5:21 PM (#862341 - in reply to #859659)

I think bringing expectations at all to any kind of relationship, long or short term is recipe for failure.
I mean.. once you move in together, if they're spending the night somewhere else you could at least expect a call from them to let you know so you don't worry. Other than that, chalk it up to folks bein diff'rent and move on I'd say.. if yer able that is.
Pointerpride102
Posted 5/21/2017 7:58 PM (#862361 - in reply to #859659)

I only created one rule after an outing last season. DO NOT change your bait every 5 casts, for 4-5 hours straight. Unfortunately, that is not an exaggeration. I've never seen someone change baits so many times in my whole life. I bet he changed baits more times in that short period of time than I did all season! I bet I had 3-4x as many casts as he did that day.

I don't care about much, but that new law goes into effect this season.
fishhawk50
Posted 5/21/2017 8:30 PM (#862367 - in reply to #862316)

Jeremy - 5/21/2017 1:53 PM

Nice post Jerry.

I'm always amazed at the difference in people and their expectations when they use other peoples eqpt.

I don't know what some people expect but it all simply (hmmm..??) comes to being a gentleman and trying to imagine what you (they) would do if the given situation were reversed and the eqpt. were their own.

Basically it's common sense and overall decency but there-in lies the conundrum as people vary so much. Pity too because it spoils it for the rest.

"It's a strange, strange world we live in, Master Jack!"

I'd fish with ya...if I weren't so danged cheap to have to hire a guide. It'd likely pay dividends for my learning scale. But...I'm such a cheap bugger...;)

Have a good season, man.

Jeremy.

4 Jacks and a Jill? 1967. good tunes!
MJH
Posted 5/21/2017 8:38 PM (#862369 - in reply to #862307)

I'm with you Jerry. It looks like the Board has figured out who "that guy" is too.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)