Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Two-Piece Predator Musky Spinning Rod

Message Subject: Two-Piece Predator Musky Spinning Rod
mikeyhollow
Posted 4/27/2019 6:11 PM (#936374)
Subject: Two-Piece Predator Musky Spinning Rod

Hello,
I’m new to this forum, but looking to get involved in sharing my input. Heard about it at the Waunakee Musky School this year. And, I am looking for any insight on a recent rod purchase. I got a Cabela’s Predator Musky Spinning Rod (2-piece H model) today on sale, but now wondering if I should be weary of the two-piece model. Has anybody had any issues with this rod, creating a weak spot at the joint? I’m obviously not going to be throwing huge magnum/heavy lures with this rod, just looking to use it with my lighter ‘finesse’ gear (jigs/plastics, smaller cranks & jerks, etc.) when necessary. I just don’t want to lay into a hog when setting the hook, and snap the rod in two and lose the fish. If anybody has any good or bad experiences with these rods (or two piece rods in general), please give me a heads up. Good experience will set my mind at ease, and negative issues could inform me to exchange for the 1-piece H model. Thanks!
-m
mikie
Posted 4/27/2019 6:29 PM (#936375 - in reply to #936374)
Subject: Re: Two-Piece Predator Musky Spinning Rod

I fished with a two piece ST. Croix spinning rod for several years without any such issues. I don't think you'll break your rod on a hookset. I liked spinning for a number of reasons, primarily that you can get the bait moving toward you as it hits the water, which helps a lot over weedbeds and such. Give it a try. m

ps, I had my Penn spinning reel for sale for a while, let me know if you're interested.
mikeyhollow
Posted 4/28/2019 7:53 AM (#936395 - in reply to #936374)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I do have a new reel to pair with it, but thanks for the offer. I have another spinning Bulldawg predator series (1-piece H)and like to use it for weedless plastics (magnum toads, 10” fin-s minnows, etc.) into heavy cover. That rod is a beast...love it. Thanks again, good luck this season!
TRG103
Posted 4/28/2019 6:15 PM (#936425 - in reply to #936374)

I recently purchased that as well but haven’t used it yet, I’ve had the predator casting rod for a 3 years and it has been great (1 PC). I have confidence this one will hold up just fine. My only experience with a 2 piece was a casting rod by tackle industries and there have been no issues.
mikeyhollow
Posted 4/29/2019 8:06 PM (#936517 - in reply to #936374)

Thanks for the input!
tolle141
Posted 5/7/2019 12:35 PM (#937010 - in reply to #936374)

Should be fine from the spinning standpoint, but I feel like I have to ask if casting sticks are an option. They're superior from a tactic and fish-fighting standpoint and the options have never been better.

If it's a casting reel concern, I recommend just tightening the spool brake (by the handle) a turn or two. Then if you want more casting distance, back off 1/8-1/4 of a turn until you start to get signs of a backlash. Then just tighten up 1/8 of a turn and you're all set.
davemp
Posted 5/10/2019 9:57 AM (#937177 - in reply to #936374)

I have the Cabela's 8' MH musky casting rod and the 7'9" H spinning rod. Both are two piece. They have not seen a whole lot of use, but they seem to be well made and cast very well. Being two piece they are great for travel. I don't have any real concern about them being weak because they are two piece.
NPike
Posted 5/10/2019 1:07 PM (#937191 - in reply to #937177)

I bought one few years back. No issues w the 2-piece concern, but in I didn't like the feel or action of these rods (in mothballs with $$ of other fishing gear).
Actually St. Croix's Mojo catfish rod is available in 2 piece and I don't care what they call it's a great 8" musky rod. 3/4 to 3+ oz, fast tip, good back-bone. If y want actually model PM me, I'll look it up.
mikeyhollow
Posted 5/22/2019 9:57 PM (#937771 - in reply to #936374)

Thanks for all the input guys. I have used the rod now, and it seems to be tough enough, and casts well. I have many casting rods rods, and love them, so that’s not a concern about not being able to use a bait caster. I was just looking for a heavier spinning rod for certain applications. I did hook into a few decent northern and large bass with the rod, and had plenty of backbone for hookset on those, so I’m plenty optimistic for the time comes to lay into a Musky. I think I was just being over cautious, and over thinking the 2-piece option considering all my casting musky rods are 1-piece. I do like the flexibility of breaking down the rod into 2 pieces, travels nice!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)