Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Spooling a spinning reel

Message Subject: Spooling a spinning reel
horsehunter
Posted 12/9/2018 7:25 PM (#925429)
Subject: Spooling a spinning reel

So when I bought my first spinning reel back in the late 50's I put a pencil through the spool and wound the line on the reel. Later I was told to lay the spool flat on the floor label up and wind the line a few turns give a bit of slack if the line dosen't twist continue if it twists turn the spool over and continue.
I just bought a new Diawa spinning reel and in the instructions they show line coming off a flat spool with an X through it and say to spool like I did back in the 50's with the line coming from the bottom of the spool . If the spool is on a horizontal axle what is the difference if the line comes off the top or bottom of the spool.

I'm sure you could go on Utube and find 100 videos with the spool flat.
My son in law throws the spool in a bucket of water or over the side of the boat and winds on his line

What am I saying #*^@ed if I know, what are your thoughts.

Edited by horsehunter 12/9/2018 8:02 PM
miket55
Posted 12/9/2018 9:19 PM (#925431 - in reply to #925429)
Subject: Re: Spooling a spinning reel

Go with whichever method leaves you with no line twist....That said, I use an old Berkeley line winder, and have the line coming off the top of the new spool of line..
mikie
Posted 12/10/2018 6:28 AM (#925441 - in reply to #925429)

If you go with braided line it will have much less 'memory' than mono and you can spool it any way you like. m
IAJustin
Posted 12/10/2018 6:44 AM (#925443 - in reply to #925441)

Yep what Mikie said ^ your concerns about twist really only applies to spooling mono ..Highly recommend Berkley fireline for spinning reels for almost all applications in freshwater .. from my ultralights to large pike spinning setups, fireline is the way to go, some applications like ultra clear water walleyes, I’ll run a 6’-15’ shot of fluorocarbon ahead of fireline... and as far as spooling just get it on the reel with a little tension however you want, I do put a little cheap mono backing on first, most spinning reels now are “braid ready” but throwing on a little mono backing ensures the braid or fireline doesn’t slip on the spool. Catching muskies on a spinning reel is fun too. Tight lines.

Edited by IAJustin 12/10/2018 6:46 AM
ToddM
Posted 12/10/2018 6:45 AM (#925444 - in reply to #925429)

What will the reel be used for?
horsehunter
Posted 12/10/2018 7:09 AM (#925446 - in reply to #925429)

The smaller reel I was planing to spool with 8 and 10 lb ( 2 spools ) Raven yellow mono and trying a bit of winter and spring great lakes trib steelhead.
The larger reel 4000 size I was going to spool with 40 lb Tuff line indicator braid 10 lb dia. ( I have a gazillion yard bulk spool will use flouro leader ) and probably 12 lb mono on second spool my plan is to use that reel pier casting salmon and possibly trying to catch a big carp.
After 40 years of muskie fishing 2 years ago I started a bit of great lakes salmon trolling and liked it. Now i'm ready to branch out.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/10/2018 12:02 PM (#925457 - in reply to #925429)

I've tried every method possible. The only thing that's ever worked is to attach a swivel + weight, let all the line out in the back of a moving boat and reel it back onto the reel.
Fishysam
Posted 12/10/2018 1:45 PM (#925467 - in reply to #925429)

I do this on every rod, but with a crankbait, it eliminates spins, and greatly reduces backlash's and the severity of backlash. Try it once even on big braid and you may start doing it all the time.
NPike
Posted 12/10/2018 5:26 PM (#925481 - in reply to #925467)

I but the spool in a small container to keep it from roaming around. Then knot the line on the reels spool with the line going over the bail. Next I just start reeling w one hand while using the other hand to maintain slight but consistent tension. If the tensions too tight it won't come off the spool right, if too loose it could bird's-nest after a few cast. The key is to use light but consistence tension. If I use braid I 1/2 fill the spool w cheapest possible mono backing to cut cost. Also buy the 900 yard filler spools to cut cost. I don't care what they say if keep in a cool dark place they last 10 years for me easy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)