Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Late Fall Trolling Line

Message Subject: Late Fall Trolling Line
tallywacker
Posted 9/15/2018 8:56 AM (#918430)
Subject: Late Fall Trolling Line

I was wondering what everybody is using for trolling line when trolling in late fall with water temp below 45 degrees and near freezing or below freezing air temps? Does mono. get the nod due to that it wont freeze?? I have been thinking about using Power Pro Max Cuatro due to its thinner diameter which in return will allow me to slow down to 2-2.5 MPH but still achieve the depths I desire without sacrificing long leads to the bait. What do you guys think??? I was thinking 30-40# Max Cuatro......
ToddM
Posted 9/15/2018 9:21 AM (#918431 - in reply to #918430)
Subject: Re: Late Fall Trolling Line ?????

Braid will hook up better at the slower trolling speed. Go with braid.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 9/21/2018 8:55 AM (#918934 - in reply to #918431)

ToddM - 9/15/2018 10:21 AM

what he said
JGlass
Posted 9/22/2018 10:00 PM (#919130 - in reply to #918934)

JakeStCroixSkis - 9/21/2018 8:55 AM

ToddM - 9/15/2018 10:21 AM

what he said

what they said
jdsplasher
Posted 9/23/2018 12:04 AM (#919134 - in reply to #919130)

The original poster asked what line your using in cold temps, and achieving depths.  Hookup %ages was not in the question. In fact, type of line really has little to do with hookups. Actually, mono, with stretch, may hold a fish longer than a braid. Toooo many variables!!! A braid with a limber rod, or a mono with a stiff pole, similar results!!! Drag tightness, hook preparation, lure size, hook sizes, hook systems/placements, all variables here....

I guess, poster , you make the call. Smaller diameter line to achieve depths. You really don't have to sacrifice line diameter and strength to achieve depths. Line clip on weights, and submerging rods down in water should manage your lure running depths.Mono to keep from freezing. If you fish that many conditions, under 32 degrees, probably go with mono.

I find myself, rarely fishing/ finding days with these freezing conditions. Most days in the fall, temps reach 36+. I use braid....if lines are freezing, I pull out another rod from storage with dry line. Put frozen line/ rod In Storage to thaw , but rarely find myself doing this. There are other ways to warm reels. Also, Additives to lines to help from freezing.

Slow speed will hamper your baits from achieving the deeper depths U desired. Unless your using sinking lures. I really don't slow down unless water is muddy, or daylight is gone! Cold water temps, does'nt necessarily mean go slow! Not in my Boat!!!

JD

Jerry Newman
Posted 9/23/2018 6:39 PM (#919170 - in reply to #919134)

Nice post JD!

Monofilament gets the nod for us after years of fishing with a braid, main reason is it's simply more forgiving… and once the fish is hooked, it's as good as cooked

We actually subscribe to a fairly tight drag on 40 mono and a medium heavy action graphite muskie rod with good backbone so the monofilament and rod will “load”. There's definitely still some stretch when a fish hits and that's where the heavier drag and mono really shine... even using 7/0 – 8/0 hooks rarely do they get off . 

danlaboucane
Posted 9/24/2018 8:00 AM (#919205 - in reply to #918430)
Subject: Re: Late Fall Trolling Line

40 mono and a medium action graphite muskie rod ! can you say rod model and make Jerry ? thanks
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/24/2018 9:34 AM (#919220 - in reply to #919205)

danlaboucane - 9/24/2018 8:00 AM 40 mono and a medium action graphite muskie rod ! can you say rod model and make Jerry ? thanks

Sure thing, (corrected medium/heavy) these rods are obviously no longer available from Gander Mountain, I purchased them on a clearance sale about 15 years ago (if you have one you want to sell let me know:).

Just look for something that will always have a good bend while trolling, but still has good reserve and back bone for when a fish hits. 

Others may disagree, and that's okay... but we do not like to use glass rods for trolling because they recover slowly, maneuvering the lure/in-line boards in and out of the water and around other boards is simply much easier and faster for us using graphite.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Gander rod (2).jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Gander rod (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Gander rod (2).jpg (26KB - 300 downloads)
Attachments Gander rod (1).jpg (17KB - 310 downloads)
Will Schultz
Posted 9/24/2018 11:36 AM (#919233 - in reply to #918430)

50# mono all season for me. Went away from my standard 8' MH st croix premiere trolling rods this year and gave the 8' H TDR a try, so far they've been very good.
danlaboucane
Posted 9/24/2018 11:53 AM (#919241 - in reply to #919220)

medium heavy makes more sense , thanks
supertrollr
Posted 9/27/2018 12:28 PM (#919578 - in reply to #918430)

braid for all season.why are we supposed to use another line during fall ? one thing is sure at the slowest speed required during fall and the fish that tend to stay deeper ,stay away from mono.it's junk
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)