Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> How to spool New Braid on any baitcaster.

Message Subject: How to spool New Braid on any baitcaster.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/8/2018 7:39 AM (#914927)
Subject: How to spool New Braid on any baitcaster.

Great Video on how to spool Braid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6IzgQc_HDI
Also I never run more then 120 yards of Braid on a reel. I spool up in Spring then come Fall I’ll reverse my line so I’m Got fresh line for the Fall Pigs. If you don’t use your reel much in a year you can use your braid for a couple of years before flipping line but once it starts to fray, respool.
Hope that helps !!!
Here is the knot I use to join the Mono and Braid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_VUb-dOQo
ToddC
Posted 8/8/2018 7:53 AM (#914928 - in reply to #914927)
Subject: Re: How to spool New Braid on any baitcaster.

PM,

Send me your braid at the end of the season, I’ll take it!

Thanks........TC
Muskiemetal
Posted 8/9/2018 2:04 PM (#915137 - in reply to #914927)

I've been using a Surgeons Knot for 25 years connecting backing to braid and never had an issue. Easier to tie, probably never seen the light of day. Just another option.
supertrollr
Posted 8/9/2018 6:01 PM (#915164 - in reply to #914927)

1 spool per season you kidding ? it last years without any degradation
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/9/2018 8:13 PM (#915172 - in reply to #915164)

supertrollr - 8/9/2018 6:01 PM

1 spool per season you kidding ? it last years without any degradation

OMG
120 yds of Braid $15 Appox !!!!
Avg price of Musky Lures $30.00 plus
World Record Musky Priceless
I’ll change my Braid Yearly
Just one small nick in the line is all it takes !!!!

Thanks for sharing on the surgeon knot !!
I’ll try it and compare it to the Uni to Uni Knot.

gregk9
Posted 8/9/2018 8:16 PM (#915173 - in reply to #915172)

PIKEMASTER - 8/9/2018 8:13 PM

OMG
120 yds of Braid $15 Appox !!!!
Avg price of Musky Lures $30.00 plus
World Record Musky Priceless
I’ll change my Braid Yearly
Just one small nick in the line is all it takes !!!!

You betcha!
supertrollr
Posted 8/15/2018 12:22 AM (#915676 - in reply to #914927)

it's not just about price,it's just pointless to pollute for no reason at all. did you trow your forks and your knife in the trash after every meal ? i have some braids that is at least 4 years old and his as strong as new , it's not mono !
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/15/2018 2:35 AM (#915682 - in reply to #915676)

supertrollr - 8/15/2018 12:22 AM

it's not just about price,it's just pointless to pollute for no reason at all. did you trow your forks and your knife in the trash after every meal ? i have some braids that is at least 4 years old and his as strong as new , it's not mono !

Good Point !!!
Never throw your old Line in the water or throw away loose line in the trash, I will rewind my old line both mono and braid on a empty spool till it is full and put in the Recycling bin. I’m a very Green person.
If you are a Average Guy who fishes a month or so a year, well then you can use your line for many years, please respool when the line starts to fray, hate to see a fish die because your line broke or your to cheap to respool.
Im retired so I fish year round in summer for Musky and I’ll take around 6 trips to Canada for Pike on Taltson River off Great Slave Lake and for Lake Trout up on Great Bear Lake and in winter I’m off to Florida for Big Reds and South America for Peacock Bass so my lines see lots of use in a year both fresh water and saltwater. Then I’m in a couple tournaments in a year, so when I’m not Repairing reels or doing Expo’s I’m off fishing somewhere. So I will respool my line Yearly. As I said in the original post, this is what I do, so when my lines start to fray from Lots of use in a year I respool with fresh Braid. I think of respooling braid on my reels like changing my underwear, I’ll change my underwear frequently Before they get a Racing Stripe, you can do what you like. LOL
BNelson
Posted 8/15/2018 7:38 AM (#915689 - in reply to #914927)

if a guy wants to respool every year so be it but to the newbies in the sport, that is a bit overkill. I fish on avg 400 hours a year and I have reels that have braid on them that is easily 4 yrs old..it's just as strong as the day I put it on...
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/15/2018 11:10 AM (#915706 - in reply to #914927)

Ok
Just remember when your line starts to FRAY change your line, if it’s 1 year or 4,5,6, years respool, I hate to see a 50” Musky floating with a broken line and a lure in its mouth. OK OK OK
To me it’s all about the Fish, not the money, or being Green.
BNelson
Posted 8/15/2018 11:16 AM (#915707 - in reply to #915706)

it is all about the fish, but to say that you need to change your line when it gets a little frayed ...well, I don't agree with it.
pushing 2,000 muskies in the boat and only 1 failure which was due to a knick in my rod tip that went undetected. if you have money to burn on new line every year, great. some don't...and some don't feel it's necessary. thats all.
CincySkeez
Posted 8/15/2018 12:18 PM (#915715 - in reply to #915707)

Yea, making sure your eyelets are smooth and clean is essential. If I see a nick in my line, I just cut it out. Braided line literally takes thousands of years to break down. Reverse the spool at the begging of each season, mainly because I like to fool with my tackle pre season. Also I tie a nail knot to connect braid to backing, not sure if there are any advantages to this knot over others but its what I learned fly fishing and works fine on braid
supertrollr
Posted 8/15/2018 1:01 PM (#915719 - in reply to #914927)

i would also hate to see a dead musky with a broken line .but i have never seen one yet nor that i have never lost a fish due to broken line. im also a green guy but imo the best way to be green is when you don't have to throw anything at all in the trash or in the recycle bin.at least when it's possible.trash don't disappear and i don't think braid could be recycled .it's not because the green bag seems to disappears that it's good news.it could pollute the air if burned ,or could ruined a nice forest because dump and junkward are never or rarely build in city.but it could be a nice idea just to make sure that we could contemplate the beauty of too much consumption of products with a preprogrammed death. im sure you know these
esoxaddict
Posted 8/15/2018 1:32 PM (#915723 - in reply to #915719)

I spin mine off the reel using an empty spool and a drill and use old stuff around the house. 80# braid is plenty strong enough for anything you'd use it for - hanging pictures or whatever.
Jeremy
Posted 8/15/2018 8:13 PM (#915750 - in reply to #915682)

PIKEMASTER - 8/15/2018 2:35 AM

Good Point !!!
Never throw your old Line in the water or throw away loose line in the trash, I will rewind my old line both mono and braid on a empty spool till it is full and put in the Recycling bin. I’m a very Green person.
If you are a Average Guy who fishes a month or so a year, well then you can use your line for many years, please respool when the line starts to fray, hate to see a fish die because your line broke or your to cheap to respool.
Im retired so I fish year round in summer for Musky and I’ll take around 6 trips to Canada for Pike on Taltson River off Great Slave Lake and for Lake Trout up on Great Bear Lake and in winter I’m off to Florida for Big Reds and South America for Peacock Bass so my lines see lots of use in a year both fresh water and saltwater. Then I’m in a couple tournaments in a year, so when I’m not Repairing reels or doing Expo’s I’m off fishing somewhere. So I will respool my line Yearly. As I said in the original post, this is what I do, so when my lines start to fray from Lots of use in a year I respool with fresh Braid. I think of respooling braid on my reels like changing my underwear, I’ll change my underwear frequently Before they get a Racing Stripe, you can do what you like. LOL

Holy crap...that's impressive Richard!! I'm retired too and am doing just fine but don't "live" like you do. Good on ya!!

Regarding line stuffs, it's good to read all the varied input. It's what keeps us all different, varied and makes for great campfire fodder. What ever suits ya, we're all different in our approach to this stuff.

I've learned much here and that's likely to continue. I just wish I could find a "really lucky" rabbits' foot to keep in my boat, I really do...

And again, thanks for the reel tip last winter. That Tranx with that gear ratio is super and a fine choice. I'm sure it'll outlive me! You'll see it sometime for some maintenance I'm sure!
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/16/2018 12:22 AM (#915766 - in reply to #915750)

Jeremy - 8/15/2018 8:13 PM

PIKEMASTER - 8/15/2018 2:35 AM

Good Point !!!

Holy crap...that's impressive Richard!! I'm retired too and am doing just fine but don't "live" like you do. Good on ya!!

Regarding line stuffs, it's good to read all the varied input. It's what keeps us all different, varied and makes for great campfire fodder. What ever suits ya, we're all different in our approach to this stuff.

I've learned much here and that's likely to continue. I just wish I could find a "really lucky" rabbits' foot to keep in my boat, I really do...

And again, thanks for the reel tip last winter. That Tranx with that gear ratio is super and a fine choice. I'm sure it'll outlive me! You'll see it sometime for some maintenance I'm sure!

Thanks
Yes retired after 25years Regional Sales Manager, Life is Good.
Now Pimp My Rod & Reel Business is very successful so I’m able to travel and fish when I want.
Allways happy to share info and my experiences even if others find them excessive.
Tranx Reels you cant go wrong, glad you like your reel with that gear ratio. Fishing both Fresh and Saltwater gives you a real evaluation on fishing products.
Glad I could help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)