Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's pretty bad when the only reason they take me is to net their fish. Huh!!"
- (Added by: Turkeyt)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Club Information and Announcements -> Lake Geneva Leech Lake Strain Stocking Effort

Message Subject: Lake Geneva Leech Lake Strain Stocking Effort
MuskyKungFu
Posted 8/20/2018 12:50 PM (#916121)
Subject: Lake Geneva Leech Lake Strain Stocking Effort

The Chicagoland Muskie Hunters (M.I. #3) are very excited to be partnering with Wisconsin DNR and UW Stevens Point on an initiative to stock, tag and study Leech Lake Strain Muskies in Lake Geneva, WI! This will be a long-term commitment from all three groups with annual stockings planned.

Everyone involved is highly optimistic about the potential of LLS Muskies in the cool, deep, cisco-forage-based waters of Lake Geneva.

We are currently raising funds to purchase advanced (10"+) LLS muskies and PIT tags for our initial stocking on Oct 18, 2018. We are asking for donations. Help build a trophy Muskie destination close to home.

Donations can be made at any of our upcoming Club meetings:
Sep 11 and Oct 9 at North Branch Pizza and Burger, 4520 W Lake, Glenview IL
- or -
from the comfort of your own home at our Go Fund Me page:
https://www.gofundme.com/lake-geneva-muskie-stocking-2018

Please help us by sharing our Go Fund Me page with others.
Slobasaurus
Posted 9/10/2018 9:23 PM (#917993 - in reply to #916121)
Subject: Re: Lake Geneva Leech Lake Strain Stocking Effort

Hi Everyone,

Kevin Butts here from the Chicagoland Muskie Hunters. I am our club's Fisheries Chair and Chapter Rep. Thanks for all of the strong support expressed so far. I have a few updates that I'd like to share with you all. Please feel free to comment here or PM me with any questions.

1. We've raised nearly $10,000 to date and are now going to be stocking 550+ Leech Lake Strain muskies into Lake Geneva. The significant contributions have come from the Chicagoland Muskies Hunters ($6,500+), a Muskies Inc. affiliated family foundation ($2,000), the Blackhawk Musky Club (which is a WI-based organization - $1,000) and broad support from our public Go Fund Me page ($70). The GoFundMe page is active and seeking to expand the universe of those wishing to contribute, but for those who would like to do so via check or paypal, please PM me and I can provide you with the appropriate contact information.

2. The Chicagoland Muskie Hunters and our aforementioned partners are extremely excited to be leading the stocking effort of Leech Lake Strain muskies into this water body for the same reasons many have mentioned. Deep, clear, cisco and multi-forage based lake, etc. Also, we are of the view that the WI state DNR are doing an exceptional job of stocking the lake with WI strain fish which will present great action as well as size in the future. However, we are hopeful that the Leech Lake strain fish exhibit strong upper size class potential (50"+).

3. This will be a 5 year stocking program with both the state of WI DNR stocking WI (WI and Chippewa River strain fish) and the Chicagoland Muskie Hunters and its partners (such as the Blackhawk Musky Club) stocking Leech Lake strain fish. A comprehensive genetic study will be conducted in 2023. We are donating annually to the WI state DNR so that this genetic study may be conducted 5 years from now.

4. The Chicagoland Muskie Hunters are not bound by any geographic constraints. We are not an "Illinois only" muskie club. We have contributed and will continue to contribute significant funds to the IL state DNR in support of the IL musky ecosystem. Many of us spend a significant amount of time in WI each year and/or own property there. We were very thoughtful and deliberate in our decision to pursue a stocking program. We surveyed all of our members to solicit their desires (size vs. numbers, geographic proximity, existing muskie lake/new muskie lake, etc.). The overwhelming feedback from our membership was that we were indifferent to whether or not the lake we chose was based in IL or WI, it just had to be within a reasonable distance. Our membership also voiced that they wished to "create" a muskie fishery that could offer serious upper size class potential. We researched a number of different alternatives and consulted with biologists from both states before deciding upon and now bringing to reality, a 5-yr stocking program focused on Leech Lake strain muskies into Lake Geneva.

Thanks for reading this long response! We're really excited as you can tell and would welcome you to any of our upcoming Chapter meetings so you may get more involved in this effort. We meet the second Tue of every month at 7:30pm in Glenview IL (North Branch Pizza & Burger). Tue, 9/11 will feature Luke Roffler (Lake Geneva Fisheries Biologist) and on Tue, 10/9 we'll have a local Lake Geneva and SE WI guide Andy Schiera.

Tight lines,
Slobasaurus (Kevin Butts - Chicagoland Muskie Hunters)
sworrall
Posted 9/23/2018 9:38 PM (#919189 - in reply to #916121)
Subject: Re: Lake Geneva Leech Lake Strain Stocking Effort

Should be very interesting to see how the Spots do in there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)