Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: DougJ's famous words..... "If it moves, its food".
- (Added by: jlong)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Silicone Mold Minnowbait

Message Subject: Silicone Mold Minnowbait
Smitty
Posted 8/26/2019 10:51 AM (#945907)
Subject: Silicone Mold Minnowbait

Hey everyone,

Complete rookie at lure making and hoping to get some answers here. I'm wondering if anyone uses silicone molds and if so how much silicone they are using? The online calculator is telling me 18 lbs is what I need! That can't be right, can it? The bait I'm trying to reproduce is similar to a 14" Jake or Grandma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
1VW
Posted 8/27/2019 12:46 PM (#945984 - in reply to #945907)
Subject: Re: Silicone Mold Minnowbait

It seems to me that it should take somewhere around 3 lbs of mold material unless you're doing multiple body cavities in the same mold. Keep in mind with a bait that long you may want to go with a stiffer mold material so that you can keep your mold thickness down to use less material but at the same time have enough rigidity through the body, even assuming you'll back the mold with wood or some other stiffener when pouring. As long as there's not a lot of carved detail or anything you shouldn't need the super flexible tear resistant stuff. Have fun!
1VW
Landry
Posted 9/3/2019 3:30 PM (#946281 - in reply to #945907)

I make silicon molds all The time
I am a Canadian so I converted to metric
Volume=LxWxH
I cubic centimetre is equal to 1 mIllilitre of silicon.
So:
1. Find silicon kit u think is enough and convert capacity to mL. Often they are listed by weight but you cAn call and find out the actual capacity in ounces.
2. Convert ounces to millilitres using online calculator
3. Calculate the volume of your mold box in metric
4. Volume in cubic centimetres is the same as millitre capacity.
That is the beauty of metric.
Zinox
Posted 9/4/2019 2:07 PM (#946324 - in reply to #945907)

Gotta love the metric system, Tight lines from Europe
acquaman
Posted 9/10/2019 12:44 PM (#946637 - in reply to #945907)
Subject: RE: Silicone Mold Minnowbait

I used to make my original then make a mold box from legos or foam board and hot glue or whatever, and fill it with rice to where I needed the silicone to be then measure the rice to figure out the volume of silicone needed. If you make extra you can always cut it up and sprinkle it in the void cavity space of your next mold too, don’t throw away the extra. Good luck.
supertrollr
Posted 9/16/2019 7:28 AM (#946836 - in reply to #945907)

metric is the best.99% are now using it. but the missing 1 % is pain in the nice try all our plan are made in cm but the material that we get from the 1% is still in inch so we have to work in both . it could look stupid but i think it would cost billions to update all their machinery to cm ,i guess that's why they want to continue imperial. don't ship me anthrax box, it was written whit humor whit a lil part of truth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)