Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: After 3 hours of nothing, Buddy: "hey look, a deer, the fish are going to bite"
- (Added by: Esoxman22)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> First time lure maker/painter. Quick question(s)

Message Subject: First time lure maker/painter. Quick question(s)
specialblend07
Posted 4/3/2018 12:08 PM (#901046)
Subject: First time lure maker/painter. Quick question(s)

Hey guys, first post and it's definitely a new guy one. So I apologize, but I searched and really couldn't narrow it down too much...

I'm making a dive and rise out of cedar and was hoping for a little help on the painting/sealing portion.

Do I need to do anything before I begin painting? I saw some videos of guys dunking the lure in a small tank with some sort of liquid. Not sure what it was but needed to ask.

OR

Do I just begin with a sealer then whatever base coat (airbrushing) i'd like, airbrush on patterns, then use an epoxy to get the nice smooth finish? If so, what's a good sealer and epoxy people are using?

Again, I'm sorry for a post that's probably been gone over a million times. But I've searched, watched videos, etc. and want to make sure before I start.

Edited by specialblend07 4/3/2018 12:17 PM
rougarou
Posted 4/3/2018 1:14 PM (#901052 - in reply to #901046)
Subject: RE: First time lure maker/painter. Quick question(s)

thin out epoxey or sand & seal as far as the epoxey i use true coat
specialblend07
Posted 4/3/2018 1:45 PM (#901057 - in reply to #901052)
Subject: Re: First time lure maker/painter. Quick question(s)

What's best to thin out the epoxy with, and is it a 1:1 ratio typically?

I also can't find anything on TrueCoat when I google search. Is there somewhere I can purchase, or read more about it?

Thanks for the help!
rougarou
Posted 4/3/2018 7:26 PM (#901105 - in reply to #901057)

no set ratio just thin enough so that it penitrates. truecoat by true glide (joe peterson) on FB
Rudedog
Posted 4/3/2018 9:36 PM (#901119 - in reply to #901046)

I am a part timer who uses what's avail at Hardware stores.
Seal the bare wood with paint thinner and epoxy. (the same epoxy as the finish coat stuff)
Or, use a sanding sealer on the bare wood. Can buy this at Hardware stores.

Finish Clear coats=.
Tru-coat, I have never used but hear about it. Not readily available.
Envirotex lite is a slow curing thick epoxy. May want a few coats of this. Never seals rock hard for me, but a lot of people use it. Its fine for this.. sensitive to mixing well and using exactly even amounts.
Devcon 2Ton Epoxy, not the 5 minute epoxy, but the 30 Minute type.
This stuff cures rock hard, crystal clear, but can be brittle.
good luck.

Edited by Rudedog 4/3/2018 9:37 PM
specialblend07
Posted 4/4/2018 9:52 AM (#901157 - in reply to #901046)

Great help guys, thanks..

Is it easiest to brush on the sealer? Or is there another way to ensure a complete "seal" on the bare wood ie dropping in a bucket full of mixture.
supertrollr
Posted 4/4/2018 10:10 AM (#901160 - in reply to #901052)

rougarou - 4/3/2018 1:14 PM

thin out epoxey or sand & seal as far as the epoxey i use true coat

that's as true as a repack of rod making epoxy
esox911
Posted 4/4/2018 5:26 PM (#901215 - in reply to #901046)

I use the sanding sealer on cedar all the time and it works great... Usually apply 3 coats sanding in between---leaves a nice finish for priming and then paint...I have used the DEVCON II ton and Envirotex and both have worked great---DEVCON is very easy even without a drying wheel.
crazywaynee
Posted 4/5/2018 7:15 AM (#901274 - in reply to #901046)

Since you are using cedar as you wood sanding sealer is good I use Zinzer 123 I also thin it out so I can spray my lures I might do 20 to 50 at a time, 2 coats and let it stand overnight lightly sand and ready to paint. You didn't say Red or White Cedar I think the red Cedar brings out the grain more than White. Other types of wood have other problems, but Cedar you don't have to worry about water as other wood like Bass wood it will swell once the water gets to it and crack the top coat even with a sealer.
Welcome to the world of lure making you are hooked now.
Wayne
specialblend07
Posted 4/6/2018 10:20 AM (#901397 - in reply to #901046)

Ok, so let me make sure I got this correct...

I CAN use the finishing epoxy (whatever I pick) as the sealer as long as I thin it out first? Or am I best to use a sealer, then use a separate finishing epoxy after painting?
muskyroller
Posted 4/6/2018 11:11 AM (#901405 - in reply to #901397)

Find someone in your area that is building and make friends, fast. Then, see how he does it and take away any little nuggets you can. That's what I did a year or two ago with someone on here and it's been a game-changer. Think of it like hiring a guide. Sure, you can go out on a huge lake, throw lures all day and maybe get lucky. But, if you have the right teacher it ups your odds and cuts down on the learning curve!

And to answer your question - Yes you can do that. That's what I do. 1:1:1 Envirotex resin:hardner:denatured alcohol...that goes on first.

Then, after painting, seal with the enviro 1:1. Good luck and post some pics. Mine will be going up sooner, rather than later (I hope!).
Sudszee
Posted 4/6/2018 1:54 PM (#901433 - in reply to #901405)

If you really want the best sealer, cactus juice (brand) in a vacuum chamber. It penetrates the wood fibers. Not so good on cedar but excellent on hardwoods. All these other sealers do very little to truly seal. It's basically just a thin barrier with poor wood fiber penetration.
muskyroller
Posted 4/6/2018 3:39 PM (#901452 - in reply to #901433)

Cool suggestion - cactus juice. What if the blank is heated in the oven at a low temp? I've done that and it seems to soak right in and gets good penetration.

Sudszee - 4/6/2018 1:54 PM

If you really want the best sealer, cactus juice (brand) in a vacuum chamber. It penetrates the wood fibers. Not so good on cedar but excellent on hardwoods. All these other sealers do very little to truly seal. It's basically just a thin barrier with poor wood fiber penetration.
Sudszee
Posted 4/7/2018 7:17 AM (#901493 - in reply to #901452)

That may help some muskyroller. Dry wood is key for absorption. The vacuum pump will greatly remove more air and gas from the wood. When pump is turned off after all bubbles stop, the resin is sucked into the wood replacing the air that was once in there
specialblend07
Posted 4/10/2018 8:56 AM (#901881 - in reply to #901046)

Ok, so I bought some TrueCoat and can't wait to try it. Just need a few more supplies first.

I'll be doing a 15" dive n rise. Large I know, but big baits have a special place in my heart. Plus they're fun conversation pieces.

What is the best way/tool to recess the eyes? A Forstner bit? Stop collar?
muskyroller
Posted 4/10/2018 11:03 AM (#901901 - in reply to #901046)

forstner bit.
specialblend07
Posted 4/10/2018 1:21 PM (#901922 - in reply to #901046)

Awesome, thanks.

I was going to add a small lip to help the dive... I'm wondering if I should go lexan, or aluminum..

The depth of my cut is 13/16", the width is 1 3/8".. I just want a little extra dig when I jerk the bait, so I was thinking of having a lip made that's 1 1/8" long, so it'd stick out a little over 1/4".. Does this make sense to anyone??

Edited by specialblend07 4/10/2018 1:24 PM
tkuntz
Posted 4/12/2018 8:36 AM (#903151 - in reply to #901046)

I use lexan lips on my dive rise baits. Really helps keep them from getting beat up on rocks
specialblend07
Posted 4/12/2018 12:10 PM (#903170 - in reply to #901046)

I actually having some aluminum lips being made, with a formed piece of aluminum welded to protect the upper "nose" and lower "chin".. I'll try and post a picture to show... Hopefully it works out, I should have them next week..

My next step is sealing, weighting, painting, etc etc etc....

Don't mind my crude drawing, I'm not an artist.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Lip.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lip.jpg (78KB - 359 downloads)
supertrollr
Posted 4/13/2018 6:39 PM (#903321 - in reply to #903170)

what's the purpose of that face covered of metal ? doe's it change the action
tkuntz
Posted 4/14/2018 6:51 AM (#903376 - in reply to #901046)

It reduces damage caused by the bait bumping rocks.
rougarou
Posted 4/14/2018 10:50 AM (#903397 - in reply to #903170)

i would place the lip on top of nose sticking out 1/4'' to start should take care of rocks because damage would be done on dive also easier and less expensive as you find the proper length of lip you can notch it in when you find the right length and blend in with paint and epoxey
specialblend07
Posted 4/16/2018 9:36 AM (#903593 - in reply to #901046)

Thanks for the questions and responses guys. The only real reason for all the metal on the lip was the thought of hitting rocks on the dive/retrieve. It's a learning process and I figured why not. If I do one, and it looks terrible, I'll scrap it and just go back to a single lip....

On another note, all my paint stuff should be in this week so I can start on that shortly. I'm planning on doing a walleye pattern first. Then I'll likely mess with foil tape/confectioners foil.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)