Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Best Northwest Ontario Lake for Opener

Message Subject: Best Northwest Ontario Lake for Opener
joh10891
Posted 6/5/2023 7:32 PM (#1021359)
Subject: Best Northwest Ontario Lake for Opener

Hi folks! Was curious if anyone had any opinions on the best lakes to fish in NW Ontario specificially for opener. Thinking about taking a trip around then next year, and have only previously fished NW Ontario in the late summer and fall. Was thinking Wabigoon (never been) due to the slightly more stained water potentially warming up quicker than, say, some of the more classic trout lakes. But I'm open to any opinions! I know lake tips can be hush hush, so feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Thank you!
IAJustin
Posted 6/6/2023 4:04 PM (#1021398 - in reply to #1021359)
Subject: Re: Best Northwest Ontario Lake for Opener

I wouldn't overlook trout water for the opener, it can be a predictable time that the fleet is shallow..opener can be a variety of conditions year over year, I've seen surface temps anywhere from 55-75 opening week.. its a great time to go to any muskie lake in Ontario.
RLSea
Posted 6/6/2023 10:38 PM (#1021414 - in reply to #1021359)

^^^Agree! Seasonal weather will take precedence over the calendar. I've fished opener in Canada for many years and like IA says, openers can be very different. One consistent thing is presumably the fish haven't been beat over the head with lures much since last year.
chuckski
Posted 6/7/2023 9:27 AM (#1021417 - in reply to #1021359)

We were brought up on the three S's, shallow, slow, and small. Go out and fish high in the water column with a big lure and catch our biggest fish ever. And on these big deep clear water Lakes you can find a fish full of spawn and the heavy. And they have not seen a lure all winter.
Angling Oracle
Posted 6/7/2023 10:50 AM (#1021421 - in reply to #1021359)

Base your decision on a lake that you want to go to if interested in something new. If you want to up your probabilities then go with a lake you are already familiar with and adjust based on where everything is at seasonally (typically most of prey and predators of all types shallow, with some such as bass, crappies in mid-spawning mode). Don't go based on guessing where a system is at temp as will be variable between lakes and within larger systems. Definitely high variability between years - not sure where NW Ont this year but west here we've had a heater for a while and temps high and weeds are going strong

Wabigoon as good as any and you have the Sioux Lookout lakes a daytrip away.

Edited by Angling Oracle 6/7/2023 10:53 AM
dickP
Posted 6/8/2023 6:38 AM (#1021453 - in reply to #1021359)

Solid advice above.On Opener I'd try a lake u know well if possible.Then use that knowledge to switch to known seasonal location options til u connect.To me,it's always F+L+P=S.(keeping in mind there will be some everywhere all the time)
medy
Posted 6/12/2023 4:32 PM (#1021579 - in reply to #1021359)

If you prefer numbers to size, I would say Cliff. It's an easy body of water to learn with lots of fish and limited pressure
joh10891
Posted 6/12/2023 8:13 PM (#1021583 - in reply to #1021359)
Subject: RE: Best Northwest Ontario Lake for Opener

Thanks for all the replies folks! It's appreciated!

Edited by joh10891 6/12/2023 8:14 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)