Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW Seasonal Progression This Year

Message Subject: LOTW Seasonal Progression This Year
lelekb
Posted 7/3/2019 10:27 AM (#941675)
Subject: LOTW Seasonal Progression This Year

I have fished LOTW before and will be returning again in mid July. I have the following questions:

1. How is the lake progressing from a seasonal perspective? I suspect that it is 1-2 weeks behind because of a cool spring. Will the fish be on their summer spots by mid July?

2. How have the weed changes/disappearance (from crayfish) affected fish location? Will the fish still use shallow bays without weeds, or do they shift to open water rocks earlier?

3. Generally, what do you think will be the overall location pattern in mid July now that temperature and weeds are different from previous years?

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Cabbage Patch
Posted 7/4/2019 1:44 PM (#941732 - in reply to #941675)
Subject: RE: LOTW Seasonal Progression This Year

I’m here now at Mylies at it is tough sledding. Weeds are plentiful in most areas and water temp is around 70. Big girls still recovering I believe not seeing many fish above 40”. Strange transition time now. Mostly pounded weeds and bays but going to points and beaches next. Landed a couple upper 30’s

MuskyTime
Posted 7/8/2019 9:38 AM (#941920 - in reply to #941675)
Subject: Re: LOTW Seasonal Progression This Year

Was there last week and most of the big girls were out on rock reefs and mid lake structure. Did encounter some nice fish in sand/cabbage cuts but also several males in those same spots.

I would say it is similar to last year with everything about 2 weeks behind.

Water temps, weather and weeds were really good. Had some good days with an aggressive bucktail bite but also long stretches of the day without even a follow. It was a grind most days and that pattern is about the same so-far this week.

Fish are on rocks right away and have become more of an open water fish hanging out on breaks. I would say that many fish spawn on mid lake structure. They do slide up shallow and use the bays but it's more of a timing thing. Lake fishes smaller now than it did 10 years ago. Mainly a rock bite and the prime rock spots get hammered. 10-20 years ago the weedy sandy bays doubled the available good spots, add into that submergent weed along rocky shorelines that held great numbers of fish as well and we have seen a loss of a great number of fish holding spots.

Fish still use the sandy bays and broadleaf cabbage beds but it's a seasonal and timing thing.

Not the lake it once was but still an incredible fishery and beautiful place to chase muskie!

Ed
jboutdoorguy
Posted 7/15/2019 8:49 AM (#942357 - in reply to #941675)

Not much for reports on LOTW so far this year. How is the water temp, weed growth, fishing or anything else up there recently?
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/15/2019 9:18 AM (#942360 - in reply to #941675)

Headed up Thursday-Monday will give a report when we get back. I'm guessing with this heat they are out on the rock by now?
jchiggins
Posted 7/15/2019 10:12 AM (#942363 - in reply to #942360)

MOJOcandy101 - 7/15/2019 9:18 AM

Headed up Thursday-Monday will give a report when we get back. I'm guessing with this heat they are out on the rock by now?
They were on the rocks 2 1/2 weeks ago.
jdsplasher
Posted 7/15/2019 11:51 PM (#942407 - in reply to #942363)

Up Now! Things are starting to go. Putting together a pretty good trip, after a shaky start. Caught several, 44-46 that looked kind of beat up [thin], from the spawn, last week.
Then again, Caught several dandies that were very Thick, and Chunky;)
JD

Some fishers were going a day or 2 without a follow last week:(

Edited by jdsplasher 7/15/2019 11:56 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 7/17/2019 4:54 PM (#942530 - in reply to #941675)

Fished the Sab/Miles/Obab area Saturday-Tuesday, we put 7 in the bag, biggest was only 44.5. Also 4 of the fish came from the exact same spot, this was my first time at LOTW and the place is downright silly. We did our homework during the day while it was miserably hot then come back on the fish that night and converted.

Except for one fish that was 40 on the nose they were all super well built fish, Ill upload pictures later. Seemed like every name in musky fishing was up there this week.

We found that weeds or rustys didnt make a lick of difference as to where a spot held fish or not.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(LOTW44.5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LOTW44.5.jpg (162KB - 359 downloads)
CincySkeez
Posted 7/18/2019 11:25 AM (#942577 - in reply to #941675)

Talked to my buddies that are still up there this morning. Caught another one "in the spot" so that makes 5 from the same exact spot.

As stated earlier I think the lack of cabbage makes the place fish a bit smaller, makes them take advantage of "available cover" instead of ideal cover
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)