Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> White baits before turnover

Message Subject: White baits before turnover
dickP
Posted 6/8/2023 6:29 AM (#1021452 - in reply to #1021368)
Subject: Re: White baits before turnover

Any 'science' I've read seems conflicting at best.Maybe orange,chartruese,white?No 'disruptive camo' bars etc.???
Species specific?No solid answers there IMO.
Suspect we all bring our thoughts,bias,opinions to the game-often based on experience.Probably misleading experience in reality.For instance,in my early years on trout water I tried hard to match the hatch.Until I had tremendous days on 'Mr Neon' ,an Eagle Tail George Wahl tied for me that was white,purple,red,black,green and orange.Or when I used to fish with a lure maker that would switch colors if he caught one- and then catch another.ON any color.Any.
My reality is that as of now we don't know,may well never know,and will just carry on 'blindly' as always.Doug J is right,'if it moves,its food'.
BillM
Posted 6/8/2023 9:00 AM (#1021459 - in reply to #1021368)

If fish cared about colour as much as we did, we'd never catch anything. Size/action is much more important in my books. Colour is the last thing I worry about. But of course I've got my goto baits because I've got confidence in them, probably the #1 thing you need out on the water chasing these things.
Ogandrews
Posted 6/11/2023 4:32 PM (#1021550 - in reply to #1021368)

Although this is more from a casting perspective, I’ve always viewed bait colors almost strictly by their belly colors. If I’m throwing a dive and rise or twitching a crank, my confidence baits I’ll have a white belly, black belly, and orange belly. For most baits the only part they are seeing most of the cast is the belly. That is why on most of my hard baits I will put reflective tape on the back, fish are never going to see it but it makes it way easier for me to keep track of it coming in.I have had days where the orange belly slammer gets way more action than the white one, but that’s not the average day. I think action most days is 100x more important than color. White belly is the most universally natural bait color so you’ll be fine, although you can always get some black nail polish and turn one of those black. Blue water makes some incredible baits, if you keep them in the water you’ll get bit on them
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)