Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A Muskies Inc question

Message Subject: A Muskies Inc question
14ledo81
Posted 8/14/2020 3:39 PM (#965314 - in reply to #965313)
Subject: Re: A Muskies Inc question

ToddM - 8/14/2020 2:45 PM

14ledo81 - 8/14/2020 1:45 PM

ToddM - 8/13/2020 3:44 PM

14ledo81 - 8/13/2020 6:41 AM

Bandtiman also said "most musky people know about MI". I think he is correct there. I didn't know about MI some years back, but when I started fishing muskies again (5-7 years ago), I did learn about them. Mostly from Keyes shows.

Either way, if "most musky people know about MI", MI is doing a pretty good job at its target audience. If someone is not a "musky person", do they really want to join anyway?

No they don't need to join but the message needs to go out to everyone, everywhere it can. Definitely need more writeups submitted by our memberships on the greater good we do for youth and fisheries some of it in general not just musky related. In doing this it becomes much easier to fundraise outside of our musky bubble as well as support and even attendance at our banquets and other gatherings that might make money. Imagine if every person affected by what they do have back a little, a gift certificate to a restaurant, a lure put to a bunch of them for a raffle prize anything really.. Think of how much more could be raised. Don't even have to be a member to do that. The money we raise in fibland and the things we buy for the DNR for all fisheries benefit should be known. Every stocked fish of every species and their descendants we have put our mark.

I disagree. "everyone, everywhere" would be a waste of time and resource (IMO).

I'm not saying a more "modern" view wouldn't be helpful, but in all reality MI is targeting a very specific (smallish) group of people.

I will still disagree especially when it comes to the youth side. Because of our partnership with a youth organization that we support and take them on outings, we get support, merchandise and attendance at our banquet from people outside of fishing all together. I know the chapter in or near Sheboygan has a banquet that receives tremendous support from the community in attendance and merchandise.

That’s interesting. I would have thought such a “niche” interest like Muskie fishing really wouldn’t attract others.
ToddM
Posted 8/14/2020 3:41 PM (#965315 - in reply to #965314)

14ledo81 - 8/14/2020 3:39 PM

ToddM - 8/14/2020 2:45 PM

14ledo81 - 8/14/2020 1:45 PM

ToddM - 8/13/2020 3:44 PM

14ledo81 - 8/13/2020 6:41 AM

Bandtiman also said "most musky people know about MI". I think he is correct there. I didn't know about MI some years back, but when I started fishing muskies again (5-7 years ago), I did learn about them. Mostly from Keyes shows.

Either way, if "most musky people know about MI", MI is doing a pretty good job at its target audience. If someone is not a "musky person", do they really want to join anyway?

No they don't need to join but the message needs to go out to everyone, everywhere it can. Definitely need more writeups submitted by our memberships on the greater good we do for youth and fisheries some of it in general not just musky related. In doing this it becomes much easier to fundraise outside of our musky bubble as well as support and even attendance at our banquets and other gatherings that might make money. Imagine if every person affected by what they do have back a little, a gift certificate to a restaurant, a lure put to a bunch of them for a raffle prize anything really.. Think of how much more could be raised. Don't even have to be a member to do that. The money we raise in fibland and the things we buy for the DNR for all fisheries benefit should be known. Every stocked fish of every species and their descendants we have put our mark.

I disagree. "everyone, everywhere" would be a waste of time and resource (IMO).

I'm not saying a more "modern" view wouldn't be helpful, but in all reality MI is targeting a very specific (smallish) group of people.

I will still disagree especially when it comes to the youth side. Because of our partnership with a youth organization that we support and take them on outings, we get support, merchandise and attendance at our banquet from people outside of fishing all together. I know the chapter in or near Sheboygan has a banquet that receives tremendous support from the community in attendance and merchandise.

That’s interesting. I would have thought such a “niche” interest like Muskie fishing really wouldn’t attract others.

It does when expanding the niche to things everyone can get behind.
T.Carlson
Posted 8/15/2020 7:53 AM (#965322 - in reply to #952940)

I would love to see specifically what MI chapters are doing for their local fisheries. For the majority of chapters, I bet its not much. I know of a couple of chapters that do help with stocking and things like that, but it is a drop in the bucket. I see them raising money and asking for donations, but I have no idea what that money goes towards.
They are also not allowed to do any lobbying, which is what we need in MN more than anything with our stocking constantly under attack. MI does nothing to help this fight.
I see MI as more of a social club now. 20 years ago, it was different.

That being said, it is a great place to meet like minded musky guy's, and learn things from each other. People new to musky fishing will for sure benefit from this.
I have made several good friends through MI. The members only contest is fun, and helps collect data on fisheries.
I would push these things if trying to attract the younger crowd.

Edited by T.Carlson 8/15/2020 8:06 AM
TCESOX
Posted 8/15/2020 10:59 AM (#965328 - in reply to #965322)

T.Carlson - 8/15/2020 7:53 AM

I would love to see specifically what MI chapters are doing for their local fisheries. For the majority of chapters, I bet its not much. I know of a couple of chapters that do help with stocking and things like that, but it is a drop in the bucket. I see them raising money and asking for donations, but I have no idea what that money goes towards.
They are also not allowed to do any lobbying, which is what we need in MN more than anything with our stocking constantly under attack. MI does nothing to help this fight.

That being said, it is a great place to meet like minded musky guy's, and learn things from each other. People new to musky fishing will for sure benefit from this.
I have made several good friends through MI. The members only contest is fun, and helps collect data on fisheries.

Wrong. MI is not allowed to lobby. Chapters have representatives on the MMPA, which is a lobbying group, and has a lobbyist. The MMPA is supported by the MI chapters. Also, our chapter has a website and Facebook page that mentions the stocking efforts, implants for sonar tracking of many species in the St. Croix, that have been purchased for the DNR, and other projects. Totally transparent on what fundraising goes for.
ToddM
Posted 8/15/2020 1:30 PM (#965334 - in reply to #952940)

I have inquired to M.I. about lobbying but they don't seem to be interested. Talked to them about presenting the anti-musky groups as a selling point like other organizations sell their anti-groups have done but not interested.

The clubs get their best work done when they can work together and pool their money. We have the Illinois Musky Alliance here in fibland. It's not limited to M.I. musky groups. We do have an independent musky group in the IMA. I am sure if a non-musky group wanted in we would welcome. We buy, fix and supply the DNR with things ranging from oxygen meters to a traveling educational trailer. We preach these accomplishments to the choir needs to expand past our borders.

Edited by ToddM 8/15/2020 1:49 PM
sworrall
Posted 8/15/2020 4:51 PM (#965341 - in reply to #965322)

You will lose that bet big time, thankfully.

Ask them, they will happily tell you exactly what they do and it's certainly not a 'drop in the bucket'. Most will tell anyone legitimately concerned what they raise and how they spend it. They are all at this point 501(c)(3) organizations and are undergoing legal review right at this moment to make sure each is doing what is required, and so far, all are so they certainly are not 'social clubs' and are correspondingly transparent. You may not get a real friendly response to an accusation before bothering to ask, but if you ask a Chapter directly, you should end up better informed. It's my job to be 'friendly' on behalf of MI and it is sometimes difficult even for me.

MI's listed objectives are Fisheries, Research, and Youth. All Chapters have to provide proof of action on those fronts to maintain their non-profit status.

Here is the official IRS ruling on the lobbying subject:

In general, no organization may qualify for section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). A 501(c)(3) organization may engage in some lobbying, but too much lobbying activity risks loss of tax-exempt status.

I hope this helps!

That said, much of the public anti-muskie issues in Minnesota ARE absolutely social in nature and brought to the State Govt. as such, which is why so far they have largely failed. The Legislative nightmare because of special interest Lake Associations and other not-my-lake groups is not new elsewhere, in fact it's old stuff and now part of the landscape in MN.

A lot of the complaints I've seen here in the last 20 years are in reality based upon differing opinions between anglers and local fisheries managers, and should be addressed differently and separately from the special interest group fiascos. That's also common, we want more than most DNRs are ready, willing, and/or able to give. Quite a few muskie anglers fail to separate the differing issues, identify what can be done, and do what they can to get what they want to happen done. Folks like TCESOX, Happy Hooker, Todd and many other MI folks here are active on the front lines, so when they post something it's from experience, too.

A few years back three of us muskie anglers in this area wanted to try to get a 50" limit on Pelican. We made some enemies and made some friends. I can report this: Anything of that nature is a lot of work. Most anglers just want to have a good population of big muskies and go catch them and I can honestly say there's not much wrong with that as long as there's the enough other anglers willing to dig in representing all of us to make that so.

I hear you on the fun things, and agree.
vegas492
Posted 8/17/2020 9:02 AM (#965394 - in reply to #965322)

Ask a chapter member of Madison what they do for their lakes. Many of them post on here. I'm well east of them around Milwaukee, but that Madison chain has a lot of fish in it. Quality fish. Including leechers. That area is full of muskies because of the work that club puts into it. My $.02. And that is just stocking, they do much more.

For our club, we stock as much as we can and work with the DNR as best we can. Both MCMI and MCW do an outstanding job of keeping muskies in lakes around us...while developing fisheries in other waters.

So far as money raised? Goes towards stocking extended growth fish, the ones with a higher survival rate. Top notch seminars to learn more about chasing muskies. Youth events, veterans events....etc.

But, like any club, you get out of it what you put into it. Clubs don't work without good, engaged members.
T.Carlson
Posted 8/17/2020 9:53 AM (#965396 - in reply to #965341)

sworrall - 8/15/2020 4:51 PM

Ask them, they will happily tell you exactly what they do and it's certainly not a 'drop in the bucket'. Most will tell anyone legitimately concerned what they raise and how they spend it. They are all at this point 501(c)(3) organizations and are undergoing legal review right at this moment to make sure each is doing what is required, and so far, all are so they certainly are not 'social clubs' and are correspondingly transparent. You may not get a real friendly response to an accusation before bothering to ask, but if you ask a Chapter directly, you should end up better informed. It's my job to be 'friendly' on behalf of MI and it is sometimes difficult even for me.

MI's listed objectives are Fisheries, Research, and Youth. All Chapters have to provide proof of action on those fronts to maintain their non-profit status.

In general, no organization may qualify for section 501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). A 501(c)(3) organization may engage in some lobbying, but too much lobbying activity risks loss of tax-exempt status.

I hope this helps!

That said, much of the public anti-muskie issues in Minnesota ARE absolutely social in nature and brought to the State Govt. as such, which is why so far they have largely failed. The Legislative nightmare because of special interest Lake Associations and other not-my-lake groups is not new elsewhere, in fact it's old stuff and now part of the landscape in MN.

A lot of the complaints I've seen here in the last 20 years are in reality based upon differing opinions between anglers and local fisheries managers, and should be addressed differently and separately from the special interest group fiascos. That's also common, we want more than most DNRs are ready, willing, and/or able to give. Quite a few muskie anglers fail to separate the differing issues, identify what can be done, and do what they can to get what they want to happen done. Folks like TCESOX, Happy Hooker, Todd and many other MI folks here are active on the front lines, so when they post something it's from experience, too.

A few years back three of us muskie anglers in this area wanted to try to get a 50" limit on Pelican. We made some enemies and made some friends. I can report this: Anything of that nature is a lot of work. Most anglers just want to have a good population of big muskies and go catch them and I can honestly say there's not much wrong with that as long as there's the enough other anglers willing to dig in representing all of us to make that so.

I can tell you that the majority of the chapters in MN, have nothing on their websites about what they are contributing to the fisheries with the money they are collecting. I think this would help if they would do so. I know I would be more likely to help out financially if I knew what I was donating to. I also think you would attract more members.
Twin Cities Chapter is the exception, they are pretty clear on what they do.
Being that you are working for them for marketing, maybe you could help them with this?

Edited by T.Carlson 8/17/2020 10:14 AM
T.Carlson
Posted 8/17/2020 10:32 AM (#965399 - in reply to #965394)

vegas492 - 8/17/2020 9:02 AM

Ask a chapter member of Madison what they do for their lakes. Many of them post on here. I'm well east of them around Milwaukee, but that Madison chain has a lot of fish in it. Quality fish. Including leechers. That area is full of muskies because of the work that club puts into it. My $.02. And that is just stocking, they do much more.

For our club, we stock as much as we can and work with the DNR as best we can. Both MCMI and MCW do an outstanding job of keeping muskies in lakes around us...while developing fisheries in other waters.

So far as money raised? Goes towards stocking extended growth fish, the ones with a higher survival rate. Top notch seminars to learn more about chasing muskies. Youth events, veterans events....etc.

But, like any club, you get out of it what you put into it. Clubs don't work without good, engaged members.

I looked at the website for your chapter, and yes. It is lists out very specificly what your chapter does with stocking. It even shows the cost.
I would say this is a good example of what other chapters could do.
It also says your chapter has 350 members and is one of the largest chapters....
Another reason other chapters should take note!
sworrall
Posted 8/17/2020 12:19 PM (#965405 - in reply to #965396)

T.Carlson - 8/17/2020 9:53 AM

sworrall - 8/15/2020 4:51 PM

I hope this helps!

I can tell you that the majority of the chapters in MN, have nothing on their websites about what they are contributing to the fisheries with the money they are collecting. I think this would help if they would do so. I know I would be more likely to help out financially if I knew what I was donating to. I also think you would attract more members.
Twin Cities Chapter is the exception, they are pretty clear on what they do.
Being that you are working for them for marketing, maybe you could help them with this?

'They are all at this point 501(c)(3) organizations and are undergoing legal review right at this moment to make sure each is doing what is required, and so far, all are so they certainly are not 'social clubs' and are correspondingly transparent. '

This also includes a revamping of every chapter's website to reflect much of what you are asking to see. Here's another example of a website in compliance: https://milwaukeemuskiesinc.com/

If you wish to know dollar amounts from past stocking efforts and when those took place, you can contact each club individually. I think your idea is a good one to get as many Chapters as possible to create a tab describing what they are doing/have done for fisheries. The Twin Cities website, although very informative, is not yet compliant, but will be easy to adjust.

The Communication Committee is currently working with the Chapters to increase communication between them and the National, and that's what I took this position to get done. We have a monthly newsletter going out that was started in July, and your suggestion is noted, appreciated, and will be presented in a paragraph of that newsletter going to every chapter. Please PM me if you would like the request to be from you personally as an MI member/prospective member.
vegas492
Posted 8/17/2020 12:41 PM (#965406 - in reply to #965399)

Ha! I think you saw the Capital City. Yah, great website and they do a ton of good.
I'm MCMI. Milwaukee Chapter of Muskies Inc.
Our website is kind of a work in progress right now.

Though....we are getting information out on our 2020 Women's Tournament. That will be the first event that we've run since COVID. This truly is a "thank you" event for all of the ladies that allow us crazies to chase muskies. There is no entry fee to pay. Every woman who signs up will get a nice door prize. The man is to "guide" his guest for 4 hours.
Prizes for top fish caught...or drawn at random. Truly a day for the fellas to put the rods down for a morning and see if they can get their lady a fish.
TCESOX
Posted 8/17/2020 9:35 PM (#965413 - in reply to #952940)

A little clarification on m previous response to T.Carlson. I came off a little short in two respects. 1. I was a little short (brief), because I was using a cell phone, which I rarely use except when out of town, so I was brief in my verbiage. 2., I was short (terse), because of timing. I had just spent the previous day burning more gas in a chainsaw, than I had in the previous 20 years combined, and a little short on sleep. I was down in Iowa, helping with storm damage. When I read T.Carlson's post, and saw the words "For the majority of chapters, I bet its not much.", I got a little fired up. Probably should have waited to post something, but I felt the need to respond.

Compared to many others in my chapter, my contribution is minuscule. Those guys really do a lot, and get a lot accomplished. My primary focus is on leglslation and regulation, that might effect muskies, musky fishing, lake access, protection of spawning grounds, etc. I guess that the comment of "not much", that was used to describe what MI chapters probably do with their funds, kind of raised the hackles on my neck, and I felt the need to comment, even though it wasn't convenient, or probably the right time.

So, sorry if I was a little short. I would be happy to share what I know, regarding what MI or the MMPA, do, to make muskie fishing better for everyone.

Edited by TCESOX 8/17/2020 9:36 PM
T.Carlson
Posted 8/24/2020 10:02 AM (#965559 - in reply to #965413)

TCESOX - 8/17/2020 9:35 PM

A little clarification on m previous response to T.Carlson. I came off a little short in two respects. 1. I was a little short (brief), because I was using a cell phone, which I rarely use except when out of town, so I was brief in my verbiage. 2., I was short (terse), because of timing. I had just spent the previous day burning more gas in a chainsaw, than I had in the previous 20 years combined, and a little short on sleep. I was down in Iowa, helping with storm damage. When I read T.Carlson's post, and saw the words "For the majority of chapters, I bet its not much.", I got a little fired up. Probably should have waited to post something, but I felt the need to respond.

Compared to many others in my chapter, my contribution is minuscule. Those guys really do a lot, and get a lot accomplished. My primary focus is on leglslation and regulation, that might effect muskies, musky fishing, lake access, protection of spawning grounds, etc. I guess that the comment of "not much", that was used to describe what MI chapters probably do with their funds, kind of raised the hackles on my neck, and I felt the need to comment, even though it wasn't convenient, or probably the right time.

So, sorry if I was a little short. I would be happy to share what I know, regarding what MI or the MMPA, do, to make muskie fishing better for everyone.

No worries, the point of what I posted was to get people a little fired up.
I realize that people on the inside are responding with "my chapter is doing this or that", but how is a non insider and potential member supposed to know this?

To my original point, they are not publishing this information enough on their websites. The majority of the chapters websites mostly talk about social events(outings, banquets, tournaments, etc.), most of these are used to raise money. Which is fine, and good.
But most don't talk about what those funds are going towards. Granted, there are some chapters that do.
The Madison WI(Capital City Chapter I believe) does a really good job of laying out what they are doing with their money, and they seem to be very successful at getting more members.

Edited by T.Carlson 8/24/2020 10:04 AM
T.Carlson
Posted 8/26/2020 8:34 AM (#965641 - in reply to #965413)

One more point. It would be much more powerful(I believe) if Muskies Inc had a lobbying group. I didn't even know what the MMPA was, I had to look it up after I read your post.
Muskies inc is well established and known. I believe they could make a difference on the battles we constantly face. And again, I would be absolutely motivated to help out financially with this effort, and I believe others would too.
sworrall
Posted 8/26/2020 9:42 AM (#965643 - in reply to #965641)

T.Carlson - 8/26/2020 8:34 AM

One more point. It would be much more powerful(I believe) if Muskies Inc had a lobbying group. I didn't even know what the MMPA was, I had to look it up after I read your post.
Muskies inc is well established and known. I believe they could make a difference on the battles we constantly face. And again, I would be absolutely motivated to help out financially with this effort, and I believe others would too.

MI is a 501 (C) (3), and cannot lobby as posted above.
TCESOX
Posted 8/26/2020 4:37 PM (#965661 - in reply to #952940)

And that is why we have the MMPA. Comprised of chapter reps. from MI chapters, and dues paid by MI chapters. We have a lobbyist and a couple of very dedicated and plugged in folks, who know what is going on at the Capitol, and who all the players are.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)