Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The Evolution of the Herbie Rig, Video One

Message Subject: The Evolution of the Herbie Rig, Video One
North of 8
Posted 11/20/2018 4:43 PM (#924001 - in reply to #924000)
Subject: Re: The Evolution of the Herbie Rig, Video One

Thanks for the photos. Looks like you would need some dexterity to connect those but effective once connected.
wisriverrat
Posted 11/20/2018 4:50 PM (#924004 - in reply to #924001)

They connect fairly easy the key is to keep the heat away from the pin side when you solder or it will weaken the pin and make it difficult pierce the skin
jchiggins
Posted 11/20/2018 9:33 PM (#924029 - in reply to #923315)
Subject: RE: The Evolution of the Herbie Rig, Video One

wisriverrat - 11/12/2018 7:52 PM

I have been using the original Herbie Rig since it came out in a article back in the 90's
His original rig used safety pins soldered the treble hooks. I still use that rig with rubber bands and have caught hundreds of muskies on his rig.
There's no need to wrap wire on the safety pin. I soldered these up with Herbie many many years ago. He teed the treble then soldered the pin on flat side of the treble. Heat the shaft first and hold the pin with a hemostat. Little flux and a touch of solder is all that's needed. Teeing the hook helps prevent the hook from being set in the sucker.
I don't sucker fish much anymore but the original is hard to beat with real suckers (16+").
Less hardware the better.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 11/21/2018 6:56 AM (#924044 - in reply to #924029)

I was able to find one of my original Herbie Rigs and I'll try to post these pics.
Clean, simple, and very very effective....in the right hands. I still use them, and variations of them too.
Well said JC.

Edited by Mark Hoerich 11/21/2018 7:06 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Original Herbie Rig 2 RS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Original Herbie Rig 2 RS.jpg (40KB - 369 downloads)
Mark Hoerich
Posted 11/21/2018 6:58 AM (#924046 - in reply to #924044)

Another pic, North of 8.

(Original Herbie Rig RS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Original Herbie Rig RS.jpg (20KB - 376 downloads)
Mark Hoerich
Posted 11/21/2018 7:03 AM (#924047 - in reply to #924046)

One more, nice clean hooks.

Thanks Steve for showing any videos with Herbie, or anyone else for that matter.
Always informative, and I for one happen to appreciate learning all I can about this stuff, even as an old timer here at 61.

(Original Herbie Rig 1 RS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Original Herbie Rig 1 RS.jpg (45KB - 369 downloads)
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 11/24/2018 11:23 AM (#924241 - in reply to #923218)

answering a few points questions for those of you;
for legal reasons in ontario you can only have 4 "points" per rig capable of hooking ( one reason the origional herbie rig only used 1 treble with the safty pin) so unless you want to use only 1 treble the attaching hook/pin must be straightened or bent straight down. same with using another hook regardless of size for your release method. (which does work well and is fairly inconspicuous when you can get away with it regulations wise)
the straight hook/pin attachment method keeps injury and /or skin tearing to the sucker (or whatever livebait you are using. down to the min. because of a missed set, contact with weeds or rocks,etc. and the health and vitality and keeping it that way are paramount to the over success. there can be no doubt a stick pin coming out the same way will release much easier than a hook stuck and needing to out against the bend,much like when one of the trebles get snagged in the side on a hookset..makes it tougher to break the rig cleanly free,and many times it doesnt.
if you are going to use the safty pin hook (it works great but i dont anymore just because the straight stick pins just flat out works near as flawlessly as anything i've tried) make sure you T the hooks and install safty pin in the" flat"or you could occasionally get a point buried on the set. also if you have the enclosure part of the pin at the rear of the hook instead of toward the eye you will get easier and more consistant releases.
i pretty much use the rubber bands in very clear water especially hard fished spots or lakes, flat sunny days, high pressure cold front days simply because it is so clean and outfishes over time more gaudy rigs. also for bigger, stronger baits 17-22".
in clear water a black rubber banded bait with a small 150# snap, 150# floro leader, 60-90# bronzed braided wire for the hook leads , #3 blackened mustads is just about as natural as a presentation you can put together.
in water with some color,stupid fish, or under typical great fall live bait conditions with n-n/w winds darker weather and some chop i prefer fuzzyz clip because of ease of attachment and ease of release especially smaller to med size baits 13-17".
the through the nose passage is what was conceived from saltwater guys but that was a bridle of 130#-200# braid and was not a breakaway and how i attached single hooks back in the single hook days. not untill i started using rubber bands did the breakaway concept come to light to me and transfer over into the quickset arena. regardless of what method you use to release or attach the hooks who cares,allmi know is the rigging i use is extremely effective . the breakaway concept is what really changed the game in quickset rigging and has undoubtably save hundreds of thousands of muskies over the last 25 years.
steve herbeck

Edited by Andy Myers Lodge 11/24/2018 11:30 AM
undersized
Posted 12/26/2018 8:31 AM (#926747 - in reply to #924241)

The down time over the holidays gave me a chance to watch some fishing shows. I see that The Next Bite is on Amazon Prime now. Season 14, Episode 8 features fall sucker fishing in western Minnesota: aside from the fake hooksets and reaction shots, it's a fun show with a ton of action and nice muskies. At the same time it's a master-class in poor sucker rig selection: using a very thick nose hook and then the single leader for the two main hooks is set up so that it crosses over the back of the sucker. It's pretty hilarious as they somehow manage to bag 5 of 6 while only actually getting solid hooks into 2 of 6.

Fish 1: caught muskie still biting the sucker
Fish 2: caught muskie, sucker still attached to rig
Fish 3: lost muskie, sucker still attached to rig
Fish 4: lost muskie boatside, sucker still attached to rig, muskie swims into net
Fish 5: caught muskie, holding leader in its mouth, not hooked
Fish 6: caught muskie, sucker gone

Breaking the rig free of the sucker = better, cleaner hook-ups. The best rigs are the ones that manage the sucker well and break free immediately on hookset.
undersized
Posted 12/26/2018 8:35 AM (#926748 - in reply to #926747)

Rig used on TNB.

(suckerrig2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments suckerrig2.jpg (12KB - 379 downloads)
undersized
Posted 12/26/2018 8:40 AM (#926749 - in reply to #926748)

Don't try this at home.

(suckerrig5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments suckerrig5.jpg (19KB - 344 downloads)
ToddM
Posted 12/26/2018 9:23 AM (#926752 - in reply to #923192)

Is there a musky TV show that doesn't feature a sucker show on milwestern mn?:-). As far as a small nose hook goes I have tried it too with success but preferred cutting up a small treble the size of a walleye hook because they have a bigger eyelet opening and move easier on the snap.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 12/28/2018 9:13 AM (#926867 - in reply to #926752)

you guys, herbie here,those of you who are interested...
this and most others in recent past postings on livebaiting and rigs ,questions,and comments has attracted some attention, more than many questions on other presentions. since i have been asked to do seminars at the chicago and milw. musky shows it was suggested that in stead of the typical canadian presentation seminars i do a complete and comprehensive livebait seminar... so i have one put together for you... one of unparalleled detail not only with rigging's but presentation options and concepts that up to this point have not been presented in detail, some never cept in my boat.
if you want to see and learn a few things that could possible take you to the next level with presentation options ,stop in ,put it on your seminar schedule, and and join in. it'll be fun. see ya there.
oh ya happy new years to all!!...and may it be a year with personal bests for all!
herbie
undersized
Posted 12/28/2018 9:51 AM (#926872 - in reply to #924241)

for legal reasons in ontario you can only have 4 "points" per rig capable of hooking (one reason the origional herbie rig only used 1 treble with the safty pin) so unless you want to use only 1 treble the attaching hook/pin must be straightened or bent straight down. same with using another hook regardless of size for your release method

Hi Herbie,
The only part in the Ontario regs that I have found about it says you can have 4 hooks per line, and it specifies that a treble hook only counts as one hook. (2019 Regulations, page 11.) I can't find any reference to hooking "points" as you describe. Wouldn't your interpretation of there being a limit of 4 "points" per rig also make most large crankbaits illegal too? I've been using a 2-treble rig with a walleye hook in the nose based on my read of the regulations - for a total of only 3 hooks on the rig.
It's really important to follow the rules and laws in Canada (and anywhere else), so I want to be sure to do so. Could you explain what mean about the legal reasons and hooking "points" a bit more?

Edited by undersized 12/28/2018 9:52 AM
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 12/28/2018 12:09 PM (#926895 - in reply to #926872)

undersize,
ya they dont need to make it confusing eah?
the 4 points per line relates to live baits only, its an old rule that i think but not sure was origionally meant to curtail multiple hooked handlines, trotlines and bankfishing lines known as "soaking".
with artificials you can only use 1 rod/line but can have either 3 (but i believe it's 4, would have to look it up) hooks,and a treble is considered 1 hook. so you can use sliders, stackers,or 3 ways etc. with multiple lures on 1 line if you wanted as long as the total number of hooks (not necessarily# of lures) doesnt exceed 4 (i think it is 4 but might be 3 be sure and check if your going to try)
the rig you describe would be illegal in Ontario. if using 2 trebles with out 1 straighted plus a nose hook regardless of size (as interpreted by a CO and we all know how that typically goes) you would have 7 hooks, with 2 trebles and one hook straight or bent pin you'd be at 5.
whether you can find it in the regs or not and/or if you look close enough you should be able to find it...somewhere, or call MNR for clarification but i know thats the way it is...in past have seen them checking rigs hanging in bobbies and years ago checking mine as explaining just what i have to you. could have changed but i seriously doubt it.
herbie

Edited by Andy Myers Lodge 12/28/2018 12:17 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)