Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Going back to raised fish

Message Subject: Going back to raised fish
Dan111
Posted 8/13/2018 9:06 PM (#915467)
Subject: Going back to raised fish

How often do you raise fish in the morning and get back to the same spot at last light and get them in the hoop? Do you continue to hammer that spot throughout the course of the day?night? same lure different lure? Just curious to see how yall deal with followers that dont commit, as my season has had plenty of them...
BNelson
Posted 8/14/2018 6:43 AM (#915495 - in reply to #915467)
Subject: Re: Going back to raised fish

was looking at the fish over 50" in the boat that we caught casting in the last 10 seasons... which is about 50 fish. I could not think of one that we raised earlier in the day, then went back on it the same day and caught it. So for 50s, it's my belief your 1st shot that day is your best. We have had other fish we went back on days later and caught (or had hit) but not 1 50 in the same day did we catch, (may have had a few hit and not get in the boat tho). I rarely if ever go back on a fish in Madison and catch it.. again, seems the 1st shot is the best. Could have a better % on different waters but for the waters I fish it sure seems hard to go back the same day and get them... sure some do, and I will always go back to where a big one was raised as it's not just that fish that likely uses that spot ...a good spots a good spot so other fish may be there when you go back... just some food for thought.

Edited by BNelson 8/14/2018 6:46 AM
Ciscokid82
Posted 8/14/2018 7:01 AM (#915498 - in reply to #915467)

What about fish under 40” Bnelson?
BNelson
Posted 8/14/2018 7:02 AM (#915499 - in reply to #915498)

not really sure on that either, I'm sure we have some, but haven't really tracked those, but we really don't go back on fish under 40 lol …. if you see a bunch of fish in an area, it always pays off to go back there, as you never know when they will decide to get active.... you may catch some you saw earlier or a new batch may move in. "don't leave fish to find fish"

Edited by BNelson 8/14/2018 8:34 AM
CincySkeez
Posted 8/14/2018 8:26 AM (#915513 - in reply to #915467)

I always go back to fish I've moved, not necessarily to target the fish I moved but because there are likely other fish there....Muskie ain't the lone rangers I once thought they were.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 8/14/2018 8:28 AM (#915514 - in reply to #915467)

I can think of two cases, in my short career, in which we went back to a fish we raised and caught it. One was on LOTW and one was on a cities lake. Both fish were low 40's and both fish hit the same lure we had them up on the first time.
chasintails
Posted 8/14/2018 10:02 AM (#915531 - in reply to #915467)

Curious how many 50s your seeing on the mad chain. I've been led to believe they are pretty rare birds. Doesn't Hanson only have one over 50 on the chain in all the years hes been guiding it?
BNelson
Posted 8/14/2018 10:05 AM (#915533 - in reply to #915531)

He has a few from around 2010-2012 I believe. 3 if I'm not mistaken all trolling. Leechers are now hitting 50. First one I know of was Oct 2016 at 51" a buddy caught. I think there have been a few to 52 caught this year that are leechers as well. and a 50" wisconny strain I caught in 2016 was caught again, she was 50.5. For the # of anglers/boats out there 24/7 it is still a pretty low chance overall. Though the leechers hitting and going past 50" is a great sign ... hope the club might consider putting 600 or 700 in per year instead of 500
sworrall
Posted 8/14/2018 10:05 AM (#915534 - in reply to #915467)

We give the fish some time, and how much depends on when we raised her. If it was a last light deal, then perhaps first thing in the morning, or again the next evening. Tony Rizzo always gave them an hour or two and went back after 'em, and he did pretty well. Usually, we try one guy with the same bait, and another with a different presentation.
Jeremy
Posted 8/14/2018 1:03 PM (#915570 - in reply to #915534)

sworrall - 8/14/2018 10:05 AM

...Usually, we try one guy with the same bait, and another with a different presentation.

Beat me to it!!

If you raise her on one bait and wait awhile I always switch-up the offering for another time (or three) around...

One time on Moose Lk near Grand Rapids, mid-day, early '80's, I had a nice big girl follow up on a bait from deep water on "Propeller Bar". Many casts later I switched baits and she immediately came up a-lookin' again. Once!

Switched up again and same thing. After 6 baits she stopped. I went back to the cabin and got my two young sons in the boat with hopes of them seeing her. Put on another bait and - yup, she came in again...just once!

This is what makes these fish so much fun..
esoxaddict
Posted 8/14/2018 1:17 PM (#915571 - in reply to #915570)

I can recall exactly one big fish that we successfully raised again. And again, and again... 13 times over several days. Every time it was the same thing. "Nah, she's not going to be there. There she is!! Here she comes. There she goes. WOW she's huge!"

We tried everything. Finally on the last day of the trip she made an attempt, missed, hit the trolling motor, and swam off.

That's the only fish I can think of that actually hung around on the same spot for any length of time.

I'm sure that fish is long dead. And I'm sure I'll continue to fish that stupid spot over and over despite the fact that I've seen exactly one fish on it in 15 years.
Slopski
Posted 8/14/2018 3:52 PM (#915594 - in reply to #915571)

Had my first experience raising the same fish again and again about 1 month ago. Had the fish to the boat 7 times over 2 days. In that span had her go around in the eight twice. She followed everything from medium sized bucktails, cranks, jerks and topwaters. Fish drove me crazy because we would try her in the morning and right before dark. She would always show herself. Finally day 3 i threw a little mepps musky killer in the area we had been seeing her and she smoked it 3 cast in. Was a nice 45" fish.

In my opinion if they haven't tasted hooks and you know they are in area keep pounding and try different things.
IAJustin
Posted 8/14/2018 10:03 PM (#915665 - in reply to #915495)

BNelson - 8/14/2018 6:43 AM

was looking at the fish over 50" in the boat that we caught casting in the last 10 seasons... which is about 50 fish. I could not think of one that we raised earlier in the day, then went back on it the same day and caught it. So for 50s, it's my belief your 1st shot that day is your best. We have had other fish we went back on days later and caught (or had hit) but not 1 50 in the same day did we catch, (may have had a few hit and not get in the boat tho). I rarely if ever go back on a fish in Madison and catch it.. again, seems the 1st shot is the best. Could have a better % on different waters but for the waters I fish it sure seems hard to go back the same day and get them... sure some do, and I will always go back to where a big one was raised as it's not just that fish that likely uses that spot ...a good spots a good spot so other fish may be there when you go back... just some food for thought.

Agree that the first time you have a big fish up its your best shot , I can think of 3 over 50” I went back on and stuck, interesting every one ate a different bait than it was originally raised on.. can also remember a 49.5” that followed 6 times on 4 different baits , went to a little 5.5” twitchbait and she hammered it...knowing where a big fish lives is half the battle sometimes a lure change can help, and if you pull them off shallow structure I’ve had my best luck giving them 10-15 minutes to reposition themselves
true tiger tamer
Posted 8/14/2018 11:39 PM (#915673 - in reply to #915467)

I've had it happen at least twice on a river I use to fish a lot. The first one struck a topwater and I or she missed. I left the spot for a little over an hour and returned and threw a jig. She followed it in on the first cast and I watched her eat it at my feet (47 1/2" and heavy). That fish hit each time when I got out of my boat and wade fished her. Second time I had the same muskie (not from the previous story) follow a topwater, glider jerkbait, jointed crank, small bucktail, and finally a double ten, second turn on the figure eight she ate it (49 1/2 inches without pinching the tail and very large girth). It took a total of 8 casts, and she only followed once on each lure, so I changed the lure if the follow wasn't too aggressive; the fish only followed my figure 8 with the double ten, all other follows she turned off at the boat.
NickD
Posted 8/15/2018 6:35 AM (#915684 - in reply to #915673)

3 of the last 4 big fish in my boat have been fish that we found and returned to catch them later. 2 falls ago I had a very big fish follow a sucker but just wasn’t quite ready. Went back a little later near a moon/weather event and got her to eat the same sucker. Good one too at 53.5. Last fall we had a fish chase the sucker to the top, I saw a big tail, and waited for it to eat but nothing. Returned to that waypoint 7 hours later and the same thing plays out but this time the balloon goes down right after we see the tail go down after the sucker was on top. Good one again at 55. In June of this year my buddy gets a fish to show up way late on blades and hung by the boat a bit. Big blonde that I thought was a 52+ type fish. Go back at primetime later and nothing is happening. Next day we go right back to that stretch right after work. Hustled out there and 10 minutes later I have the fish in the net and it was even bigger than I thought at 53.5. These are some of the best positive examples in my boat. Typing up all of the failed returns to fish would be a book long enough to make Dickens bored.

So it can work out and knowing location is a big part of the game. Other boats, weather, and a million other little things can screw up our best laid plans but it always helps confidence to return on fish that have been found. Had many other fish end up in the net after returning to them. Many on the very same bait and many on a different bait. But overall for every positive re-enforcement story going back on a fish there are countless return trips to fish that have already vanished into the ether…
Masqui-ninja
Posted 8/15/2018 9:52 AM (#915701 - in reply to #915467)

If their tail is moving fast, we might try them again. If they are moving slow, I'll leave them alone that day. I've had some success going back the next morning early. If you beat them over the head, they might not ever bite..I see this a lot lately.
dmorgan173
Posted 8/15/2018 10:33 AM (#915704 - in reply to #915467)

Had a big fish on lotw 7 years ago now on a island with a shallow shelf big thick rock fish 52 or so I figure she came in first on a MG spinner bait 10 minutes later a suick 10 minutes later a DD and last lure up was an apelar came straight up from underneath and tail nipped slight prick at best and never seen her again
Dan111
Posted 8/15/2018 2:26 PM (#915727 - in reply to #915467)

I guess for me it's inconsistent. I have caught fish after raising them early in the day, some late afternoon and some just before night. Everytime this has happened though for me it has been late summer early fall bite when fish are shallower. Last season in october happened twice. Both fish were caught on blades one was a 47” one was 38”. The 47 followed early morning on a black nickel dcg , hammered the spot multiple times throughout the day and changed to a white marabou/nickel dbl10 late afternoon got it in the bag. The 38” was raised early and caught last light with same bucktail.
BNelson
Posted 8/15/2018 2:30 PM (#915728 - in reply to #915727)

yah I guess my point to my data was that of course it can work, but when a guy looks at say the 100s, of times one goes back on 50s throughout a season or bunch of seasons the success rate is likely well under 1% end up in the bag (within the same say 12-16 hr period)... is it still a good idea to go back to a big fish? yes. I'd say it's more likely you'll catch a diff fish off that spot, than the one you raised....
we've caught plenty of sub 50s we have seen early in a trip and then later went back on, but I can't think of one 50 that we got later ... 1st shot, is by far your best shot...maybe this is a whole diff thread ... but just some stuff that is interesting to me.

Edited by BNelson 8/15/2018 2:35 PM
tyler k
Posted 8/16/2018 10:53 AM (#915801 - in reply to #915467)

The only time I can remember it working for me was 2 years ago. I caught a 49.25" about 22-23 hours after first seeing her, within 20 yards of her earlier location. I was only half-way going back for that specific fish though; it was on a weed flat that usually holds multiple fish so a case of I was hoping she was there, but also figured I'd contact something whether that specific fish was there or not.

Edited by tyler k 8/16/2018 10:54 AM
anderj85
Posted 8/16/2018 12:47 PM (#915814 - in reply to #915467)

I don't have the experience or time to fish a lot of you guys do, so a much smaller sample size. The only time I've came back and seen the same fish was a 44.5" i caught last year. Saw it early in the afternoon and came back later (around 5pm) during the minor and caught it on the same lure.
bobbie
Posted 8/16/2018 7:00 PM (#915849 - in reply to #915495)

I have never caught a 50 + on a return visit. I have them follow again but not eat. from my time on the water with big fish if you dont get them the first time you won't get them
And with upper 50" fish you never get to see them again
Dan111
Posted 8/16/2018 9:37 PM (#915863 - in reply to #915467)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSmlnkqKEI

skip to 15:45(fish raised)
21:00 fish caught boatside
fish was 50.25”
Landonfish
Posted 8/17/2018 5:07 AM (#915871 - in reply to #915467)

Just had it happen two weeks ago. Raised a fish around 5pm that went around in the 8 but didn’t strike. Went back at 830 which was also moon rise. Same spinner bait and same cast angle and fish come in hit the bait about 10 foot from boat and missed the hooks I figure eightied and she hit again and still didn’t get hooks but that has been about par for my season.
VMS
Posted 8/17/2018 7:24 AM (#915875 - in reply to #915467)

Hiya,

I'll go back multiple times over the course of a few days on a fish that I raised...it is there for a reason and in most cases, if one fish uses the spot, others do to. This happened just a week or so ago on lake of the woods in multiple locations. We'd raise a fish on a spot and not get it, come back later and a different one was there.

It may not pay off very much on the same fish, but it does pay dividends as the spot has some sort of characteristic to draw fish there.

I will go back faster on an active fish if there is a significant weather change....like a wind shift or inclement weather is within an hour or so of hitting. Did this many times with success.

Steve
MuskyCyclone
Posted 8/20/2018 3:02 PM (#916125 - in reply to #915467)
Subject: RE: Going back to raised fish

Funny story.... Wife raised a big fish using a topwater in the morning but the fish would quit following about 15 ft from the boat. Went into the cabin, grabbed lunch, and she had 2 gf show up that had never caught a fish over 15 inches. Wife decided to stay home and the 2 girls went out with me. We didn't see a fish for a couple hours but raced back to the spot on the moon phase. Had one of the girls use the exact same lure, came into the spot gliding with no motor , she threw the lure out and bang, a 51.5" beauty smashed it. My wife still talks about that fish to this day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)