Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spinner bait figure 8 hooksets

Message Subject: Spinner bait figure 8 hooksets
dtaijo174
Posted 8/11/2014 10:27 AM (#724945)
Subject: Spinner bait figure 8 hooksets

Typically when I have a fish strike boatside, I set the hook towards the tail. However, I worry that with spinner baits the wire that holds the blades will push the lure out of the fishes mouth and prevent hookups. I have been going up or up/away from the tail, but lost one recently when she rolled upside down. I’m second guessing my approach and would like some feedback.

Edited by dtaijo174 8/11/2014 10:28 AM
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2014 10:44 AM (#724948 - in reply to #724945)
Subject: Re: Spinner bait figure 8 hooksets

I try to hit 'em straight 'up' if I can.
douglaswood34
Posted 8/11/2014 1:50 PM (#724986 - in reply to #724945)

I add a treble trailer, so no worries which direction I pull!
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2014 8:08 PM (#725041 - in reply to #724945)

If I was going to use a treble, a bucktail would be in use.
jdsplasher
Posted 8/11/2014 9:46 PM (#725054 - in reply to #725041)

Dave, not sure if the hook set had any factor losing your fish. This spinnerbait subject  and lost fish has been talked about many times on this site. The webmaster is right with his direction of hook set  and the use of treble on buck tail, and I think the other post has some merit adding a treble.

Again, if your going to use a spinnerbait with the treble imbedded in the lead, prepare yourself for some heartbreak. Fish will gain leverage with this set up. The nut buster  with the shrink tubed single hook is a good bet for spinnerbait hook setup. Though, this idea was used about 20 years ago from a buddy of mine.

If you are going to bump and grind weeds, you need the single hook setup. BUT, if your fishing rock, sand, especially at night, I would definitely  go with a leverage free treble setup. I think the treble on a spinnerbait design does have some advantages landing fish. Though the bucktail offers probably better strength. Spinnerbaits offer;

1, a bigger profile

2, a different sound and vibration

3, better lift than a bucktail, especially with a swimmerhead, that you can slow retrieve 

There are many variables. Picking the right tool is key!

When a musky grabs my leverage free treble spinnerbait, most times Mr Musky meets my pliers .:)

Edited by jdsplasher 8/11/2014 10:05 PM
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2014 9:59 PM (#725056 - in reply to #724945)

I have used straightlines that are designed to do what JD is talking about. If I want a spinnerbait sound and thump, I use straightline design Keith came up with years ago...blade in front is small and riding on a clevis, and a trailer blade, usually the matching larger blade that would be the main blade on a spinnerbait, is on the rear off a free pivoting treble; the blade keeps the treble straight out from the rest of the lure. Forward weighting allows the bait to helicopter, and the lift is great. They run SLOOOOOOW if one wants 'em to. Weird looking, but they work.

Spinnerbaits have always been for the slop for me.
Ranger
Posted 8/12/2014 12:49 AM (#725066 - in reply to #724945)

Straight up when I feel the fish then thumb the spool and let the fish get away from the boat. I'm releasing line as I bring the rod tip down and then with the fish about 15' out and the rod almost straight at the fish I sweep hard to the side for the second hookset. Happens fast, works well.
pklingen
Posted 8/12/2014 7:22 AM (#725071 - in reply to #724945)

i've only been using PSV's grinder style baits this year and have had FANTASTIC success. i just set the hook as normal on a figure 8 bite. the arm on those baits are forward of the hook area. he has an 8/0 main hook and a 7/0 trailer hook that really penetrate through the mouth well. i do thumb the spool to let the fish get away from the boat. those baits are tuogh as nails! after 30 some fish on them so far this year already, with the largest being a 45"er, i've only had to reshape the blade arm 3 times! you will not find a better built bait than archie's stuff. check his out on the "basement baits" forum on this site. good luck out there all and have a nice day.
Sidejack
Posted 8/12/2014 8:33 AM (#725085 - in reply to #724945)

Love to see some pics of the slop spinners yer usin, Steve.

With respect to the original poster of course.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)