Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Master power not working. Help!

Reply New post
Message Subject: Master power not working. Help!
Ball Cap
Posted 4/30/2012 6:41 PM (#556903)
Subject: Master power not working. Help!

Got my boat out of storage yesterday and the master power is not working. The battery is fully charged. The little wires that are for the bilge, lights, etc work fine. But when I connect the larger Yamaha wires the master power won't work. When I turn the key nothing happens. The trim doesn't work etc. I checked all the fuses and it doesn't look like any mice got to it in storage.

I'm a CPA and not an electrical engineer but this makes no sense to me.

Luckily I could still get my boat in the garage with the motor trimmed up.

Any ideas or troubleshooting would be helpful.

Thanks
TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/30/2012 6:50 PM (#556906 - in reply to #556903)
Subject: Re: Master power not working. Help!

I would take the battery in to a automotive store, doesn't matter who, just a good automotive store and have the battery load tested. I'm assuming your battery is bad. Have it load tested and that'll tell you for sure whether it's good or not.
Ball cap
Posted 4/30/2012 7:01 PM (#556908 - in reply to #556903)
Subject: RE: Master power not working. Help!

I tried 2 different batteries. So you think they may have enough juice to run the bilge and live well but not enough to run the trim etc?
TJ DeVoe
Posted 4/30/2012 7:11 PM (#556912 - in reply to #556903)

Checking the battery certainly won't hurt. Are your motor leads the first thing your putting on the battery? You want your motor leads on the battery first so they get the best connection.

Another thing, are you hand tightening the nuts or using a wrench and tightening them just a enough where you can't undo them with a hand? This can be crucial as well.

Also, make sure your battery terminals are clean as well.

Edited by TJ DeVoe 4/30/2012 7:12 PM
tcbetka
Posted 4/30/2012 7:31 PM (#556918 - in reply to #556912)

Why don't the bilge pump and lights (and etc) come off the master power buss? That seems odd to me. Certainly an automatic bilge pump wouldn't necessarily come off the master switch, as it's supposed to work automatically. But all those other wires should be powered from the main buss. I am not sure I understand your electrical system.

By the way--what are the "larger Yamaha wires" of which you speak?

TB
Ball Cap
Posted 4/30/2012 7:39 PM (#556920 - in reply to #556903)

On the starting battery there are 2 positive wires and 2 negative wires that get hooked up. The really small gauge wire is what is running the bilge livewell etc.

The much thicker gauge wire has Yamaha logos on it so I assume that's what is running what I am calling the master power. I have no idea what else to call it. Because the larger Yamaha wires are not working properly the trim doesn't work and neither does the key when I turn it to the on position where you would normally see the gauges work etc.

Everything you guys mentioned above I have done.

I did the same thing yesterday as I've done the previous 10 years when the boat came out of storage.

My battery charger is telling me both batteries that I tried are taking a full charge.

The only thing that makes sense is if those batteries do have enough juice to run the bilge and livewell but not enough to run the trim. That would seem very odd to me though.
KJGMH
Posted 5/1/2012 7:22 AM (#557006 - in reply to #556903)

By chance did you hook up the large wires backwards the first time you went to hook them up? Some motors have a fusable link that acts like a fuse if cables get hooked up backwards to protect the motor.
tcbetka
Posted 5/1/2012 8:40 AM (#557017 - in reply to #557006)

Well, are the larger two wires...from the engine? You may be missing a set of wires, I am thinking. You should have large wires (cables) from the engine--those are to/from the starter. Then you'll have other wires to each terminal on the battery. You need to have wires from the alternator to recharge the battery, and then you need to have wires to go to your various "loads" in the boat: Bilge pump, lights, live wells, etc. With the exception of an automatic bilge pump (which should have its own wires to your battery that are NOT switched), you might have one larger wire like #10 size, that goes to the master switch. It sounds to me like the starter and bilge wires are connected, but not the wires to the master buss.

Check the entire area around the battery for any wires that might have been removed but not replaced. If you can see the entire area well, take a couple pictures and post them here. Also, please list the specifics of your boat--engine brand/model, boat brand/model, etc. Anything you can think of. But a few pictures of the battery area (and the inside of the boat even) might help.

TB
Ball Cap
Posted 5/1/2012 9:23 AM (#557032 - in reply to #556903)

KLGMH:

I actually think I did them backwards first on accident. Where is this fuse you talk about that I may have blown?

All the fuses under my dash board are fine.

Thanks
VMS
Posted 5/1/2012 10:00 AM (#557041 - in reply to #556903)

Hiya,

I had this happen a couple of years ago.

The fuse will be under the hood of the engine on the main harness lines. My gut says it will be on the left side of the engine as you look at it from the boat.

If you have your owners manual, it hopefully will show a diagram of it.

Replace that fuse and you should be all set.

Steve
Shep
Posted 5/1/2012 10:03 AM (#557043 - in reply to #556903)

Yep, under the motor cover.

Get familiar with the owners guide.
Ball Cap
Posted 5/1/2012 11:43 AM (#557083 - in reply to #556903)

I hope this is the problem. I will check for the inline fuse tonight when I get home.

Thanks guys!

sworrall
Posted 5/1/2012 11:48 AM (#557085 - in reply to #556903)

I bet it is!
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/1/2012 1:23 PM (#557116 - in reply to #556903)

You guys that guessed a blown fuse because I crossed the wires when I hooked it up were 100% correct. Fuse was blown and guess what? There was a spare fuse right next to it. Imagine that. Ha

Thanks
Shep
Posted 5/1/2012 1:49 PM (#557126 - in reply to #557116)

Don't forget to get that spare fuse replaced!

Well, I guess it's not really a spare anymore. Is it?

Edited by Shep 5/2/2012 7:33 AM
kjgmh
Posted 5/2/2012 11:14 AM (#557363 - in reply to #556903)

Glad you found it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)