Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Converting Remote to Tiller?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Converting Remote to Tiller?
ChadG
Posted 4/30/2012 1:55 PM (#556858)
Subject: Converting Remote to Tiller?

How hard and expensive is it to change a motor from a remote steering and controls over to tiller controls? I am ready to make a change but all the used motors I see are remote. In order to get a decent deal I may have to buy remote and change it.
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/30/2012 2:10 PM (#556861 - in reply to #556858)
Subject: Re: Converting Remote to Tiller?

Want to trade? I'm ready to go the other way.
MuskieMike
Posted 4/30/2012 2:18 PM (#556863 - in reply to #556858)
Subject: RE: Converting Remote to Tiller?

Well, I know for my 70 horse Suzuki, it's 900$ for the tiller handle alone. Not to mention labor for install. Just not worth it IMO. Wait until you find the tiller model motor you want if at all possible.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/30/2012 7:45 PM (#556922 - in reply to #556858)

ChadG - 4/30/2012 1:55 PM

How hard and expensive is it to change a motor from a remote steering and controls over to tiller controls? I am ready to make a change but all the used motors I see are remote. In order to get a decent deal I may have to buy remote and change it.

I agree it's not worth buying the parts/kit to convert, and feel you'd be better off selling your motor and/or buying the one you want. I have some experience with this because last fall I priced it out before I bought and converted a Yamaha T-9.9 tiller from a T-8 remote I already owed. All the parts for the conversion are 100% interchangeable.

The reason I did this is the T-8 did not have enough oomph for my muskie trolling, plus I was able to pick up a slightly used T-9.9 tiller “right”… the extra 20% horsepower was the ticket, and then I just sold the T-8 tiller and trolled happily on my way.

Joe, I don't think he actually has a remote now...

Edited by Jerry Newman 5/1/2012 8:08 AM
Shep
Posted 5/1/2012 10:09 AM (#557046 - in reply to #556858)

ChadG - 4/30/2012 1:55 PM

Depends on the motor make and size. Generally, not very cost effective.
Lone Stone
Posted 5/1/2012 7:16 PM (#557221 - in reply to #556858)
Subject: Re: Converting Remote to Tiller?

Chad, my dad just did this last fall on an older motor. He did it pretty cheap. I'll find out who he got the parts from and let you know. Probably can't get to the lake on Friday can you? I'm going to try, but not sure yet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)