Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If your boat aint bouncin off the rocks once in a while then your not gettin fish (Guide on Vermilion)
- (Added by: suicknut)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Cranes/big games

Message Subject: Cranes/big games
rookie
Posted 3/13/2007 12:30 AM (#244373)
Subject: Cranes/big games

I'm just messin around and want to make a crane or big game imitation. anyone know what kind of wood there made out of and if there is lead in them. I'd hate to ruin one of my good baits to try and find this out. Also if I use screw eyes do you think i'd ever lose a fish on them, i cant do thru wire?
vanertski
Posted 3/13/2007 3:23 AM (#244377 - in reply to #244373)
Subject: Re: Cranes/big games

first of all they are made of balsa. yes you will lose fish on screw eyes balsa baits should be thru wire.
PamuskEhunt
Posted 3/13/2007 6:08 AM (#244386 - in reply to #244373)
Subject: RE: Cranes/big games

hey rookie...I've been making a couple baits that are similar to Cranes and Grandma Lures out of basswood. No matter what type of wood you use, there will need to be weight added, just to varying degrees. I like the action that I have gotten out of the basswood, and I use a square lip like those on the Cranes...really wide wobble. I use a through wire on all of my baits, and it is more difficult to do than adding screw eyes in my opinion, but I feel more confident these baits will not lose a fish due to lure malfunction.
gear jammer
Posted 3/13/2007 8:53 AM (#244426 - in reply to #244373)

I make a similar bait to a crane bait. I use screw eyes and have had no problems with pullouts although it will happen im sure sooner or later. Through wire is the way to go for best strength results. I find the drag on my reel takes alot of the brunt force those toothys hit with. If you want to see some samples of the lures check out the web site. Also pm, or call if I can help in any way.

Jim

www.muskiehoundlures.com
rjbass
Posted 3/13/2007 4:23 PM (#244567 - in reply to #244426)

All of my trolling baits are made from cedar. I use .092 stainless steel screw eyes and have never had one fail. We have got muskies well over 40 pounds on these baits and never had a screw eye failure. If you predrill the holes and epoxy them in, they will not fail. Balsa on the other hand is a different story.

Rod
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)