Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Regular Suicks, vs. Red Hot Thrillers...thoughts?

Message Subject: Regular Suicks, vs. Red Hot Thrillers...thoughts?
NoFrills
Posted 12/30/2006 8:39 AM (#228634)
Subject: Regular Suicks, vs. Red Hot Thrillers...thoughts?

This past year, for whatever reason, I spent more time throwing a Red Hot Thriller (sideways) painted Suick in perch flavor.
I had quite a few follows, including a huge fish on opening weekend, and 2 nice lookers right before season closed, but none of them took the bait, which got me thinking. Would a regular Suick have tricked these fish to hit?
I remember a year or so ago, someone on one of these forums had a tank with some small muskies in it. He fed them minnows, and did some experimenting with them. One thing that he found was that the muskies wanted nothing to do with "wounded" or "sick" minnows, but were on the healthy ones like white on rice. Could these sideways Suicks, that look more like a wounded fish be the reason I never hooked up? Please post your thoughts and experiences.
Needless to say, at the upcoming 2007 Musky Odyssey show I will be picking up a regular perch Suick. I had enough "action" on the sideways one to warrant the purchase.
Thanks,
Mike
4seasonangler
Posted 12/30/2006 9:34 AM (#228639 - in reply to #228634)
Subject: RE: Regular Suicks, vs. Red Hot Thrillers...thoughts?

I had just about equal results with both types with the red hot slightly ahead.
kdawg
Posted 12/30/2006 11:45 AM (#228663 - in reply to #228634)

Jerkbaits are supposed to create an impression of a wounded fish, which would seperate it from a school of baitfish. My opinion is younger muskies are more aggresive and are more willing to chase down the healthy minnows. But as muskies grow older and larger they become lazy and would much rather pick off an easy meal than to chase down their prey. Kdawg
Shep
Posted 1/2/2007 8:53 AM (#229419 - in reply to #228663)

NoFrills, you are talking about Steve Worrall's aquarium with the muskies. I've seen it, and it is true, the first minnows gone were the healthy ones. The sick of wounded minnows were left alone.

As for the Red Hot's vs. plain ole Suicks, I'm about 50/50. They're both great baits, and I throw them alot. I had a great big fish on Pewaukee swing and miss on the Red Hot Perch, the first day I threw it. Netman caught that fish about a week later. It was 48 1/2, and thick! No follow there, it went upside down on the strike, and just flat out missed it! Now that left the knees knocking!

Edited by Shep 1/2/2007 8:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)