Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Deer and Bone Lakes, Wisconsin

Message Subject: Deer and Bone Lakes, Wisconsin
muskyjim
Posted 5/11/2005 9:21 PM (#146590)
Subject: Deer and Bone Lakes, Wisconsin

muskyjim
Posted 5/11/2005 9:23 PM (#146591 - in reply to #146590)
Subject: RE: Deer and Bone Lakes, Wisconsin

Anyone have any pointers for either of these lakes? They sound like good lakes, but do they get hammered by Minnesotans since we can't fish until June? What type of water are they?

Thanks for any info.
Phoenix
Posted 5/12/2005 11:23 AM (#146660 - in reply to #146590)

I imagine they will get a lot of traffic memorial Day weekend as that's when the Nothern Zone musky opener is in WI. Got first ski on Deer several years back. Was the begining of the end for me!
They do get a fair amount of pressure throughout the season as well, and neither are very big lakes. If you are gonna fish em I would suggest weekday, early morning or late evening after dark.

Good Luck,

Steve
Ranger
Posted 5/21/2005 7:02 AM (#147990 - in reply to #146660)

send a personal note straight to MuskyOne - he's an expert on those waters.
sally
Posted 5/22/2005 12:50 AM (#148042 - in reply to #146590)

the lakes are pretty similar and both lakes seem to be getting a bit clearer now that people seem ot pay attention to run-off and there are fewer farms around there now (bad side of this is that pressured fish can see you easier). Almost everyone around the twin cities and Western Wisconsin seems to have to fished these lakes at one time or another, and there's no secret spot on either lake. Both lakes are very fertile with lots and lots of tasty forage fish.

Both lakes get POUNED, but I think both have pretty high numbers of fish. Bone gets hammered by the bass guys really bad, too.

There is a ton of info in the hot-spot type maps. By and large if a spot looks good on either lake, a fish could be there. Small-medium size lakes with lots of pressure, lots of follows, and lots of 38" fish, big ones seem to be getting harder and harder to come by.

Bone seems to take longer to come around in a cold spring and can be very tough, so this year Deer probably gets the nod early season.

muskyone
Posted 5/27/2005 1:25 PM (#148878 - in reply to #146590)

I would agree that both lakes get the bejeebers beat out of them on opener. So bad in fact that I would never ever go to either one ever again.................LOL.................. Generally enough room on either lake to get your line wet with a good opportunity to actually have some action. I think Bone would be your best bet as Deer is one of the last lakes in our area to have ice out. Bone is generally a bit dirtier and tends to warm just a bit more than Deer. Try the inside weedline now until you know for sure that this is not the thing to do. If they are not inside try all the points and rock to weed transition areas you can locate. The large bay at the North should be a little warmer and may produce for you but there will be a lot of other boats in this area. I do not like the offshore structure much in the Spring but that may just be me. I like the main Lake points and the first deep water out from any shallow spawning areas. But I will say again, give that inside weedline a good long look. They really should be there this time of year. We have had terribly cold weather so this could move them out but I know where I would start. Drop the trolling motor in at the North access and start to fish. Can't make a bad cast on Bone.

ps: Ranger, thanks for the pr

Edited by muskyone 5/27/2005 1:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)