Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Question for rod builders

Message Subject: Question for rod builders
Pikebait
Posted 3/17/2023 9:43 PM (#1019049)
Subject: Question for rod builders

I am having a rod made with a pac bay xh and I am trying to figure out what would be best for a reel seat

It is a casting rod and I prefer a standard style grip not a palm.style. It will be paired with an Abu toro beast. I want something durable and doesn’t loosen off from regular use

What would you recommend for a quality reel seat
Cedar
Posted 3/18/2023 1:19 AM (#1019055 - in reply to #1019049)
Subject: RE: Question for rod builders

Whomever is building the rod for you should be walking you thru decisions like that, and helping you out if you are unsure of what parts you want. That being said, for trigger reel seats, my first recommendation would be an 18mm Fuji Deluxe Trigger Reel Seat (TCSSD) / Standard Trigger Reel Seat (TCSM), or a 20mm Fuji Deluxe Trigger Reel Seat (TDPSSD) / Standard Trigger Reel Seat (TDPSM). Because it has a more comfortable feel, I recommend the 18mm, but if you have larger hands, or the 18mm doesn't fit on the blank, then I'll recommend using the 20mm (or larger if necessary to fit the blank) to my clients. The hood color on the locking nut should be based on your preference, or the look of the rod your builder is going for. Revo Toro's fit well on either of those reel seat styles/sizes.

The reel seat spinning on the blank really has nothing to do with the quality or durability of the reel seat. If the seat is epoxied on the blank properly, it will never come loose.
Pikebait
Posted 3/18/2023 1:52 AM (#1019056 - in reply to #1019055)

Cedar - 3/18/2023 1:19 AM

Whomever is building the rod for you should be walking you thru decisions like that, and helping you out if you are unsure of what parts you want. That being said, for trigger reel seats, my first recommendation would be an 18mm Fuji Deluxe Trigger Reel Seat (TCSSD) / Standard Trigger Reel Seat (TCSM), or a 20mm Fuji Deluxe Trigger Reel Seat (TDPSSD) / Standard Trigger Reel Seat (TDPSM). Because it has a more comfortable feel, I recommend the 18mm, but if you have larger hands, or the 18mm doesn't fit on the blank, then I'll recommend using the 20mm (or larger if necessary to fit the blank) to my clients. The hood color on the locking nut should be based on your preference, or the look of the rod your builder is going for. Revo Toro's fit well on either of those reel seat styles/sizes.

The reel seat spinning on the blank really has nothing to do with the quality or durability of the reel seat. If the seat is epoxied on the blank properly, it will never come loose.

Thanks for the response it is helpful.

I should clarify it’s the locking nuts spinning loose not the reel seat spinning on the blank I was concerned about. It’s an issue I have experienced with a few cheap rods in the past

The rod builder I am using has a background mainly in high end fly rods and west coast salmon rods. Building a large pike/musky rod is outside of his normal but has been building rods since 86. He is only doing this project for me because of a mutual friend. Not many guys in Western Canada building this style of rod

He uses Fuji reel seats for his salmon rods and spoke highly of them. We just agreed it would not hurt to do some research into what is being used by those building musky rods as it is not his normal project
Solitario Lupo
Posted 3/18/2023 10:30 AM (#1019063 - in reply to #1019049)
Subject: Re: Question for rod builders

Look into the revo reel seat heard a lot of good reviews on muskyhunter. Think with me it would come down to what material you want it build out of.

I have a couple seats that spin and think it’s more of my hand positioning that spins them. Cause even a couple expensive seats still do that on me.

Found this old post on here talks a little about reel seats.

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12...
Cedar
Posted 3/18/2023 2:07 PM (#1019067 - in reply to #1019056)

Thanks for the response it is helpful.

I should clarify it’s the locking nuts spinning loose not the reel seat spinning on the blank I was concerned about. It’s an issue I have experienced with a few cheap rods in the past

The rod builder I am using has a background mainly in high end fly rods and west coast salmon rods. Building a large pike/musky rod is outside of his normal but has been building rods since 86. He is only doing this project for me because of a mutual friend. Not many guys in Western Canada building this style of rod

He uses Fuji reel seats for his salmon rods and spoke highly of them. We just agreed it would not hurt to do some research into what is being used by those building musky rods as it is not his normal project

If your friend is building rods for West Coast Salmon, he will be fine building your Musky rod. The HD Salmon rods can be similar to Musky rods, and he may even be using the 18mm Fuji Standard Trigger seats on his Salmon rods. I've never had one of those locking nuts strip, but if you really really crank down on it, I suppose you could, but there is no need to go that tight. Fuji makes a good product, and you'll be fine using one of those. Good luck.
Rotorhead
Posted 3/21/2023 9:17 PM (#1019160 - in reply to #1019055)

Cedar got it right. I build muskie rods almost exclusively. The two Fuji seats he mentioned in 20 mm are both good and what I use. Fuji's hold up under the strains of muskie fishing. Never had one fail. Before making my own rods, I had two cheap commercial rod seat failures. Size 18 could be small for the blank because not all blanks are the same and I don't know anything about PacBay blanks. I've never needed larger than size 20. There's an arbor under the seat anyway so as long as the seat is large enough, the arbor will fill the space. After saying all this, the builder of the rod should pick one out unless you want to provide your input.

Since your builder being primarily a fly rod builder, and this being unfamiliar territory for him, I would be available if he has questions. PM me and I'll provide my phone number if he wants to call.
Pikebait
Posted 3/22/2023 2:14 PM (#1019186 - in reply to #1019049)
Subject: Re: Question for rod builders

Going with the Fuji TCSSD reel seat 18mm because the pac bay xh blank is surprisingly thin for what it is. All components are planned out now just need to wait and see how it turns out

Thanks for the advice and offer of help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)