Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Musky Innovations Pro Bull Dawg Rods?

Message Subject: Musky Innovations Pro Bull Dawg Rods?
7.62xJay
Posted 3/9/2023 10:11 PM (#1018788)
Subject: Musky Innovations Pro Bull Dawg Rods?

I don't recall seeing anybody talk about the newer Pro or Elite Pro Bull Dawg Rods by Musky Innovations. I haven't seen one first hand myself yet.
Wether you checked one out at store or a expo or actually spent some time on the water with one. What are your thoughts on em?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/10/2023 8:51 AM (#1018795 - in reply to #1018788)
Subject: Re: Musky Innovations Pro Bull Dawg Rods?

Spencer Berman talked about them recently on his Facebook.
monsterlures
Posted 3/10/2023 9:57 AM (#1018801 - in reply to #1018788)

I got myself a 9 foot Pro XXXH.

Here are some of my observations:
- Great power. Can easily cast the biggest rubber baits in your box. I use it mainly for 20 to 28oz lures but also for lures as light as 14 oz.
- The telescopic system works great. Almost a year of frequent use and no issues of it getting stuck when deployed.
- The DuraScale forgrip was a weird material to hold at first, but it feels perfectly fine after some getting used to.
- Casting distance is good, comparable to the discontinued TI 9 foot XXXH when all other factors are equal.
- It is a bit heavy to hold.
- The blank is not the most reactive, feels a bit "slow" when casting a lure.

Overall a good & reliable rod is you are looking for a big rubber rod. It is worth the purchase price.

That being said, I would not purchase the Elite Pro models due to those having the same rod blanks. I would have preferred that MI brought back the Hall of Fame series IM9 blank for those. I have fished the 12-50 oz rod of that older series and it cast better IMO than the newer Pro series that I purchased (Although the length was the shorter 8 foot 3).
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/10/2023 3:29 PM (#1018817 - in reply to #1018801)

The New Pro Series are great rods. I used them all last season.
I used the Pro Series and have not tried the Pro Elite Bull Dawg Rods. The Elite ones cost more because they have the best (and expensive) guides you can buy, the Fuji Titanium Tangle Free Guides and has the built in Revolution Reel Seat by Outdoor Grips.
I wasn't sure if I would like the durascale foregrip and handle but after using it I loved it. Held up very well and never gets slippery even if wet.
One great thing about the Pro Series rod is the polished stainless steel guides they will last forever even if stomped on because there is no insert to crack or pop out.

These are the rods I used last season
1. 9'6" H- This is the best bucktail rod I have ever used. I liked it for everything from Rabid Squirrels to Double 9's. It casts 8's and other small bucktails a mile with very little effort. The 18" handle provides great leverage for casting with minimal effort. Rod is long and is great for huge figure 8's. When the rod is retracted into the handle it's a hair less than 8' so easily fits in boat rod lockers or vehicles. I never had ONE issue retracting this rod. I caught over 60 musky on this one rod including fish over 50" and it still looks like new. Was also great for crankbaits, topwater, Swim Dawgs and twitchbaits.

2. 9'6"XH.- This rod is great for bigger blades like 10's and 12's throws them a mile. I also liked it for ripping 10" Jakes, MX9 and any other baits that pull hard. Figure 8's big baits extremely well.

3. 9' XH- I used this rod for throwing Mag and Reg bulldawgs, Tubes or other rubber.
Loads very well for casting has great backbone for getting hooks set firmly. Figure 8's extremely well and gives great action to all rubber baits. This rod was good for big blades also.

4. 7"6" XH- This rod is a 1 piece Non telescoping. It is a jerkbait rod and definitely the best I have used for this application. Casts baits very well and tip action is great for working all med-large jerkbaits and gliders I love this rod for walk the dog style topwater like the One Eye Willy too. Caught a ton of fish on 9"-12" Suicks with this rod also. I also like it for working Big Joe's because I'm mainly using the reel to impart the action into the lure and always have contact with it. One other use I really like it for was pitching or flipping Reg size Bull Dawgs in and around heavy cover with short casts, caught a lot of musky doing this.

5. 7'6" MH- This is a 1 piece non telescoping rod also. It was designed to be a small Jerkbait rod.
It is great for 7" Suicks, Baby Squirkos small Phantoms or any small jerkbaits. I also like this rod for twitching small cranks like 5"-6" Slammers, MX6, Crazy Trains, spring Dawg's or 6" Jakes. The tip is really soft so gives these smaller baits much better action than being thrown on bigger or stiff rods. I primarily used this rod in spring but found its a great rod for kids to use all season long with smallish baits they can cast with it all day and not get worn out.

Hopefully this info helps you. If you go to any of the remaining musky shows check them out in the Musky Innovations booth you wont be disapointed.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
The Mighty Oak Leaf
Posted 3/10/2023 4:55 PM (#1018818 - in reply to #1018817)

I got a couple pro series last year. The overall blank and guilds are awesome. Length of the butt is perfect for me. The new grip is good as advertised. I was concerned in cold weather they would be slippery but its just the opposite they are far from slippery and very comfortable. Im in the process of changing all my rods to the new pro series. Good price and another great product from Muskie Innovations!
7.62xJay
Posted 3/12/2023 11:12 AM (#1018886 - in reply to #1018788)

I wasn't in the market for one. But a whole season without telescoping problems is impressive. I might have to nab one and try to offload a rod.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)