Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 9" Suick thriller high impact weight insert location

Message Subject: 9" Suick thriller high impact weight insert location
Lumberjack
Posted 4/4/2021 9:05 PM (#977703)
Subject: 9" Suick thriller high impact weight insert location

I've recently purchased some 9" hi impact thrillers and the Suick weights kit to get these lures rising even slower. Would anyone care to share their experiences with the threaded insert locations on these lures? 1 threaded weight insert? 2 inserts? Weight size and location?

Looking forward to playing with these weights but I don't want to ruin the action by gluing the inserts into the wrong spots

Thanks
joh10891
Posted 4/5/2021 8:16 AM (#977706 - in reply to #977703)
Subject: RE: 9" Suick thriller high impact weight insert location

Here's a photo of the way I run the weight kits. Note is that I use the 10" HIs, but I imagine the 9"s would be fairly similar. Try to roughly mimic the weight location of the weighted model suick (see photo). For the two suicks I run, I prefer the left one which is a bit far more forwards towards the nose than the orange one. Oh, and I've tried using 2 inserts (one front one rear) but always ended up just using the front one.

And one disclaimer is not to glue them! Or if you do, just use a tiny tiny amount of glue. Find the right drill bit size, drill it out, and it should fit. I once made the mistake of using glue to secure it, and it clogged the threads and rendered the weight kit impossible to use.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(my_suicks.jpg)

(weighted_model.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments my_suicks.jpg (113KB - 320 downloads)
Attachments weighted_model.png (105KB - 321 downloads)
Lumberjack
Posted 4/5/2021 10:49 AM (#977710 - in reply to #977703)
Subject: Re: 9" Suick thriller high impact weight insert location

Apreciate your help with the placement, I'll be sure to be careful with the glue, would hate to have one pop out. Looking forward to trying these baits, I've only owned 7" wood weighted before these.
miket55
Posted 4/5/2021 4:43 PM (#977717 - in reply to #977703)

I've used this placement on the unweighted ones

(50e7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 50e7.jpg (57KB - 349 downloads)
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/1/2021 8:35 PM (#999426 - in reply to #977703)

I am trying the same placement as miket55, one note is on the 9” and 10” HI model you can’t drill the front insert all the way, you hit metal, I believe it’s the thru wire but perhaps there is weight there already. But I still had enough depth to get the insert secure it just sticks up an 1/8” but it seems to be secure. (I also used gel control super glue) I haven’t gotten a chance to try it out yet.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/5/2021 10:47 AM (#999496 - in reply to #977703)

I tried out the 9” HI suick I weighted as in the above diagram and with 1/4 oz in the front and 3/8 oz in the back it suspends horizontally really well.
The 10” HI with the same weighting suspended well too but seemed to go more tail down, I think I shouldn’t have moved the rear weight as far back as i did.
chuckski
Posted 12/6/2021 12:11 AM (#999512 - in reply to #977703)

Gentlemen some great info here! Being a older guy I don't have any hi impact Suicks. Lots of old wood ones. I also have a lot of old custom Reef Hawgs that came with screw in weights. Over the years I got my hands on some unweighted Bobbies for dirt cheap and weighted them with egg sinkers and epoxy. But the thing that caught my eye on this post was, I have some old brass inserts for wood lures OK kinda cool but the thing that got me excited I found a old J.B. tackle inserts made for plastic lures (the inserts are plastic) and they have screw in weights as light as 1/16 oz made for crankbaits. And the instructions to boot.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/7/2021 3:40 PM (#999545 - in reply to #977703)

I emailed suick about weight placement on the HI and this is what mike suick sent back.
“Where we typically weight them is just behind the front hook. There is plenty of meat there and you will be able to get your insert installed flush. It seems that the farther back you locate the insert from the spot I just mentioned the worse action you get from the lure, so it is best to keep it at close to the front as possible, but yet behind the front hook.“

He also said that it is indeed the thru wire I hit when trying to put the insert in front of the front hook on my HI suicks. Hopefully those inserts will still hold even tho they are not in all the way. From my testing so far it seems that the HI only need a tad more weight (about 1/2 oz) to get them to neutrally buoyant so I’d imagine that only 1 insert where mike suick and the first response in this post suggested (essentially right where wood weighted models are) would be enough.

I think on my 10” Hi I definitely put the rear weight back to far and it does seem to negatively affect the action and cause the bait to sit tail down which may not be a bad thing, we will see what the fish think.
Abu7000
Posted 12/7/2021 6:15 PM (#999546 - in reply to #977703)

While all these tweeks will work, I find it much easier to add a bell sinker to the front split ring. It is very to add weight by increasing the size of the sinker. Muskies like it up to 55.75" PB this year along with several hundred other muskies over the years. Easy fix.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/12/2021 7:22 PM (#999613 - in reply to #999546)

I did just use a bell sinker off the front hook hanger up until recently, honestly it works just fine. I’m more playing with the weight inserts because it’s fun lol.
I might try those stealth tackle weighted leaders too, I heard they were designed by Jeff Hanson for getting suicks deeper
chuckski
Posted 12/16/2021 9:23 AM (#999731 - in reply to #977703)

I make my own leaders and make some weighted one too and one thing I do adding slip sinker on my leader is I can adjust where the weight is by braking off a tooth pick or glue it in place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)