Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Why is My Reel Making This Sound When I Cast?

Message Subject: Why is My Reel Making This Sound When I Cast?
Weiseyyy
Posted 10/16/2021 6:38 PM (#996502)
Subject: Why is My Reel Making This Sound When I Cast?

Hello!

I noticed today while out on Minnetonka that my Daiwa Lexa 400 was making a screeching sound on literally every cast, with every bait. This was only my second time out with the reel. The first time out, it didn’t make the noise nearly at all, but if I casted hard enough, I could hear it a little bit. Today it did it every cast no matter what.

I attached a sound file of the sound, along with some pictures of the reel to see if anyone can tell what’s wrong by looking at it. I also just oiled the brakes, at least I think I oiled the brakes. I took of the braking cover on the side, and I oiled what I thought was right. Anyways, last thing: Since I don’t think it’s the reel itself making the noise, it’s gotta be either braided line just being braided line, or (as you see in the pictures) the line doesn’t go straight from the spool, through the reel eye, to the rod. The line is up high against that little bar, which I’d assume creates some kind of friction.

I don’t know. Thanks for any help at all!

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DB5B4BF4-0ABB-47D2-A3DF-997714C700F9.jpeg (38KB - 309 downloads)
Attachments 84784B30-615A-4F74-921B-6DE54AE22852.jpeg (41KB - 270 downloads)
Attachments A5730D0F-A149-47E8-ACEC-14B46DB1C638.jpeg (31KB - 242 downloads)
Attachments Reel Sound.m4a (130KB - 307 downloads)
Weiseyyy
Posted 10/16/2021 6:44 PM (#996503 - in reply to #996502)
Subject: Re: Why is My Reel Making This Sound When I Cast?

Pictures and sound will be up soon.
Chemi
Posted 10/16/2021 8:58 PM (#996505 - in reply to #996502)

Perhaps too much line on the spool?
Weiseyyy
Posted 10/16/2021 9:09 PM (#996506 - in reply to #996505)

Chemi - 10/16/2021 8:58 PM

Perhaps too much line on the spool?

I was thinking that, but based off the edge of the spool, I could put even more line on it. I might take more off just to see.
kdawg
Posted 10/16/2021 9:56 PM (#996509 - in reply to #996502)
Subject: RE: Why is My Reel Making This Sound When I Cast?

Oiled the brakes? Try oiling the spool bearings. Kdawg
Weiseyyy
Posted 10/16/2021 10:37 PM (#996511 - in reply to #996509)
Subject: RE: Why is My Reel Making This Sound When I Cast?

kdawg - 10/16/2021 9:56 PM

Oiled the brakes? Try oiling the spool bearings. Kdawg

That’s what I meant. The magnetic braking system cover, right?
OH Musky
Posted 10/17/2021 7:48 AM (#996512 - in reply to #996502)

I have 5 Daiwa Lexa 400s. Each one sounds different. I can’t get the sound to play on my phone so I’m not sure how it sounds. One of my reels made a screeching sound after I disassembled it because I got one of the internal parts put back in wrong. I think the spool shaft and gear was rubbing. Not really sure but after I took it back apart and repositioned everything the sound went away.

Another thing I found was the wire spring on the magnetic side was not fully seated in in the slot. May have been rubbing the spool when casting.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 10/17/2021 9:55 AM (#996515 - in reply to #996512)

Try oiling the worm gear and under the free spool knob on the reel handle side.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2021 11:08 AM (#996516 - in reply to #996515)

You've got too much line on your reel. Sound is likely line guide noise.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/17/2021 12:31 PM (#996519 - in reply to #996516)

Definitely not too much line on the reel. Did you oil both bearings and the bushing on the spool shaft? Sounds like they are either dry or corroded. Too much line does not “make a noise” unless the line is hitting the frame. I run probably 30-50 yards more line on all my reels than you have on yours. The only other noise from line is from coarse braid like power pro. Make sure spool tension is tight enough only to limit spool movement left and right. If you can feel the spool moving, the friction cap is too loose.

Oil both bearings on the spool, and the bushing under the friction cap. If you didn’t get all 3, the noise won’t go away.

Lexa reels don’t have centrifugal brakes to worry about oiling.

I serviced reels for years and had my own business doing so.
Weiseyyy
Posted 10/17/2021 1:23 PM (#996520 - in reply to #996519)

RyanJoz - 10/17/2021 12:31 PM

Definitely not too much line on the reel. Did you oil both bearings and the bushing on the spool shaft? Sounds like they are either dry or corroded. Too much line does not “make a noise” unless the line is hitting the frame. I run probably 30-50 yards more line on all my reels than you have on yours. The only other noise from line is from coarse braid like power pro. Make sure spool tension is tight enough only to limit spool movement left and right. If you can feel the spool moving, the friction cap is too loose.

Oil both bearings on the spool, and the bushing under the friction cap. If you didn’t get all 3, the noise won’t go away.

Lexa reels don’t have centrifugal brakes to worry about oiling.

I serviced reels for years and had my own business doing so.

I knew that the idea of too much line made no sense because the spool edge is still visible. I worded the “oiled the brakes” part badly, but I took the non handle side cover off, put a drop of oil in the bearing, then took the tension knob off, oiled the bearing in that too. I also put a drop on both sides of the spool if that makes sense. Went out to cast and no sound at all, but that’s with dry line. (Not that it should make a difference). I am using 80lb PowerPro, so it is pretty abrasive but I still doubt that that’s what was making the sound. Anyways, ima go out on the water tonight to get the line wet and we’ll see what happens.

Thanks for the help everyone.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/17/2021 8:49 PM (#996531 - in reply to #996520)

There is another bearing if you pull the spool completely out of the reel that you may have missed. Don’t forget this one as well.

Oiling the spool shoulder won’t do much after a couple casts, the oil will just sling off.
dward
Posted 10/18/2021 10:18 PM (#996565 - in reply to #996531)

i have a Diawa Lexa 300 that makes that sound- even a little higher pitched sound, but usually only after about 100 casts- to me when everything starts to get wet and pick up moisture... it will be like that for a few hours and then stop for 50 casts and unexplainablly... start up again?

it's the weirdest thing! i was going to oil it up good over the winter to see if that helps or not?
North of 8
Posted 10/18/2021 10:26 PM (#996566 - in reply to #996565)

Bought a Lexa 400 HD this spring and the shop put a little too much line on but it didn't make any noise, just reeling in the last 15 feet or so was difficult because it was tight against the bar near the bottom of the reel. I simply cut off a small amount of line and the problem went away. (I had tightened it on the spool before fishing) Never heard anything like that described.
Rotorhead
Posted 10/19/2021 8:43 PM (#996596 - in reply to #996502)

Happens on Diawas - I have four. Pull the side plate off, pull out the spool, and put a half-drop of oil on the bearing on each side. Your screech will disappear and casts will sail a lot longer. Happened out of the box on me and instantly fixed. I've read other strings on this and it's fairly common, although not all my Diawas did that. I oiled them anyway just as part of regular maintenance. Line doesn't make reels screech like this. It's the bearings.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/20/2021 9:29 AM (#996605 - in reply to #996596)

Daiwa uses cheap bearings and does not apply enough oil to them. New reels need 2 drops of oil per bearing to quiet them down 95% of the time.
stdevos
Posted 10/24/2021 10:14 AM (#997711 - in reply to #996502)

I had a problem with the bearings on my Lexa400, which started when I got my reel back from Diawa after they replaced the bearings when I had a bent spool shaft (and they failed to replaced the bent spool shaft). Sounded different than your problem though, but I ended up buying a Boca bearing replacement kit and the reel has been great since.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)