Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW next week

Message Subject: LOTW next week
Ivegotafever
Posted 10/13/2021 8:01 PM (#996427)
Subject: LOTW next week

Heading up the 17th. Fishing 18-22. Figuring it will be a trolling/jigging bite. Anyone know anything? NWA if wondering about location. Thanks
Matt DeVos
Posted 10/13/2021 10:19 PM (#996429 - in reply to #996427)
Subject: Re: LOTW next week

This isn't exactly current information but I was up solo for a short trip (3 full days, 1 partial) during the final week of Sept and had unseasonably warm water temps (63-64+). Water level was as low as I've ever seen it in 20+ years and the algae bloom was probably as nasty and widespread as I've ever seen it. I managed to get several into the low/mid 40"s but it was a very tough bite and no real pattern to be found. I was mostly casting and tried to be very versatile. Actually, my best luck was on topwater.

My thought was that it would be a huge benefit to see the water clear up a bit (if only for the sake of angler confidence) and the water temps come down into seasonally-appropriate temps. I think you'll be getting closer to that during your trip with some forecasted lows into the 30's. Trolling might be good but I'd recommend staying versatile and trying multiple approaches and locational patterns. I don't think its been a typical fall and best advice would be to go into the trip without any preconceived notions of what is or isn't going to work.
Fisher
Posted 10/29/2021 10:34 AM (#997811 - in reply to #996429)

How did your trip end up?
Thanks
Ivegotafever
Posted 10/29/2021 4:46 PM (#997815 - in reply to #997811)

Jigged up 4 with the biggest being 48. Raised a few casting but they were very lazy. Trolling was a bust but saw a fish caught trolling.
Tony S
Posted 10/30/2021 8:19 AM (#997821 - in reply to #996427)

We fished the Morson area the 21st to the 23rd. Water temp 46deg. We trolled the first day and a half and only caught Pike. There were lots of people out trolling probably the most I have ever seen. We went into search mode the afternoon of the 22nd and we found the Muskys in the weeds. We caught 3 Friday afternoon in a 2 hour window during the major, the biggest was 48" all of them were caught in cabbage weeds. Caught 1 more on Saturday afternoon during the major.

Seems like everything is a few weeks behind this year. There were still wood ducks swimming around my dock, they should be gone by now. Typically by this time there should be big rafts of Divers on the open water south of Morson.
jdsplasher
Posted 10/30/2021 10:14 AM (#997822 - in reply to #997815)

Ivegotafever - 10/29/2021 4:46 PM

Jigged up 4 with the biggest being 48. Raised a few casting but they were very lazy. Trolling was a bust but saw a fish caught trolling.

Michael, was it a husband wife team U saw catch the fish? Good thing they let you cross border if ugotafever;)

Bottom line was, the fish were scattered. You could fish any pattern from shallow rock to 30-35’ and get fish whether you trolled or casted or jigged. They just were not concentrated on breaks yet as the white fish and Tulibbee were far from staging.

We searched and struggled up until the last 3 days as water got down to about 53.5.
Got 17 those last 3 days to finish up the trip W/28 skis, in 8 days.

Also caught about 50 pike. 2-3 were 20Lb class.
Yep, Saw several groups of Pelicans still around…..crazy, Stupid weather;)
JD

Edited by jdsplasher 10/30/2021 10:26 AM
Ivegotafever
Posted 10/30/2021 7:02 PM (#997825 - in reply to #997822)

jdsplasher - 10/30/2021 10:14 AM

Ivegotafever - 10/29/2021 4:46 PM

Michael, was it a husband wife team U saw catch the fish? Good thing they let you cross border if ugotafever;)

Bottom line was, the fish were scattered. You could fish any pattern from shallow rock to 30-35’ and get fish whether you trolled or casted or jigged. They just were not concentrated on breaks yet as the white fish and Tulibbee were far from staging.

We searched and struggled up until the last 3 days as water got down to about 53.5.
Got 17 those last 3 days to finish up the trip W/28 skis, in 8 days.

Also caught about 50 pike. 2-3 were 20Lb class.
Yep, Saw several groups of Pelicans still around…..crazy, Stupid weather;)
JD

Ha! It was some guys staying at Frank's camp. We were building a dock and probably only fished for 30 hours. Nice haul on your end!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)