Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fall Phases and Corresponding Lure Presentations

Message Subject: Fall Phases and Corresponding Lure Presentations
MattyIce
Posted 9/30/2021 2:47 AM (#996158)
Subject: Fall Phases and Corresponding Lure Presentations

I am a relatively newer muskie fisherman as I grew up fishing, but only the last few years have I started to focus on the species. I try to learn every time I'm out on the water. I fish a lake a little ways outside the twin cities the sees a lot of pressure. Everybody and their mother is throwing bucktails, and due to this fact I seldomly use them. I have found that I've only been using a few baits that I'm comfortable with, being primarily suicks. My questions are: 1) what baits do you tenured muskie fisherman throw in the fall pre-turnover? 2) what baits are you generally throwing post-turnover? 3) My lake is size is about 2400 acres and I don't really have another viable option. So, is it worth it to fish during the turnover, and if so, what baits would you be throwing then? I realize that much of this may be opinion based but I would truly appreciate any insight.

- Matthew
kap
Posted 9/30/2021 7:49 AM (#996160 - in reply to #996158)
Subject: Re: Fall Phases and Corresponding Lure Presentations

you are on to something, throwing something different can be good. I like buckails but i try to use one just a little bit different than everyone else. Dive and rise baits a a good option as fall progresses. A minnow baiit such as Grandma,Jakes Beliievers and similar are a great option too. It is more versatile then a dive and rise and can be worked a little faster with twitches or rips and pauses or just reeled strait in. Big rubber can be good too, but another high use bait
jlong
Posted 9/30/2021 9:20 AM (#996169 - in reply to #996158)

I'd focus more on location and then select a bait that fits the depth/cover you encounter. Pre-turnover I'd target large shallow flats with shallow running lures. During turn-over I'd look for slop or any shallow, heavy cover. Post-turnover I'd target the steepest breaks and deep holes available with lures that can achieve greater depths. Good Luck and enjoy the hunt.
CRK925
Posted 9/30/2021 6:04 PM (#996181 - in reply to #996158)

Learn to fish rubber. Fish will always hit them and they can be used in any depth of water.

Pre-turnover in the fall, fish can be anywhere from hanging on the edge of the deeper breaks/ deep weed edge to 1 foot of water. In general the fish are still relating to weeds, rocks or other shallow structure.

Post-turnover (52°> water) fish are much deeper. Fish the deepest breaks and deep water. Fish may be near bottom if not actively feeding, or suspended down 3'-5- over deep water if actively feeding. Always a good time to be running a sucker. Slow down your presentation and more erratic "twitch" type presentations seem to trigger more fish.

Edited by CRK925 9/30/2021 6:10 PM
chuckski
Posted 10/2/2021 11:12 AM (#996195 - in reply to #996158)

Pre turn over twitch baits or a Bobbie or crankbait with stop go retrieve , post turn over gliders, deep running cranks and rubber in both pre post turn over. If water turning bear the shoreline.
ToddM
Posted 10/2/2021 11:36 AM (#996196 - in reply to #996158)

Definitely switch up to baits that have a stop and go retrieve. The style depends on the lake and depth you are fishing. That could be any number of styles of baits from walk the dog topwaters, cranks, dive and rise jerks or rubber. When it gets really late try live bait or jigging.

Edited by ToddM 10/2/2021 11:37 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)