Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Creepers

Message Subject: Creepers
RyanJoz
Posted 2/9/2022 1:49 PM (#1002315)
Subject: Creepers

Who makes the best creeper that is currently available?
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/9/2022 2:07 PM (#1002317 - in reply to #1002315)
Subject: Re: Creepers

Not sure about currently available ones. The Monster LUres Creeper or BS Willy are good, also Musky Buster.
Would probably have to buy these 2nd hand.
mikie
Posted 2/9/2022 5:46 PM (#1002325 - in reply to #1002315)

I likes this one fairly well. Quite a knock to it. m

http://www.hawgseekers.com/products.html#bh
RyanJoz
Posted 2/9/2022 6:30 PM (#1002327 - in reply to #1002325)

Looking for creepers, not wobbler type baits. Winged creepers.
Mojo1269
Posted 2/9/2022 6:39 PM (#1002328 - in reply to #1002315)

Available but nearly impossible to get... Matt Wirth
Found on the shelf... Bitten makes a nice one that is well built
jdsplasher
Posted 2/9/2022 8:34 PM (#1002332 - in reply to #1002328)

Wick makes an awesome creeper. Now, go work some overtime;) to pay for 1.

JD 

North of 8
Posted 2/9/2022 10:19 PM (#1002339 - in reply to #1002332)

I have a lot of baits, different styles, but the one thing I don't have is a creeper. Have not bought because I don't have a clue what makes a good one, nor do I really know how to work one. Couple of hardcore guys I know who fish a lot, on a lot of different water are normally good source of bait information but both said they don't have enough patience to use a creeper.
Any suggestions would be helpful, which ones you like, what you look for, how to work. From what I have read seemed like a bait I could use at sunset, toss up in pockets in the weed edge, work slowly?
7.62xJay
Posted 2/9/2022 11:17 PM (#1002341 - in reply to #1002339)

North of 8 - 2/9/2022 10:19 PM

I have a lot of baits, different styles, but the one thing I don't have is a creeper. Have not bought because I don't have a clue what makes a good one, nor do I really know how to work one. Couple of hardcore guys I know who fish a lot, on a lot of different water are normally good source of bait information but both said they don't have enough patience to use a creeper.
Any suggestions would be helpful, which ones you like, what you look for, how to work. From what I have read seemed like a bait I could use at sunset, toss up in pockets in the weed edge, work slowly?

-Aw dude it's super easy unless your hearing impaired. Straight retrieve your ears will tell everything, nothing wrong with erratic reel wind cadence, pausing, or short jerks if you want
-Admittedly i myself don't throw em much unless im night fishing smallmouth water. That Unknown giant blow up is so F* exhilarating,giant smallies on heavily trafficked water love to hit big crawlers at night.
-I Have 2 Bobbies Creepin Hawgs, I've got no complaints about em.
Take into consideration my previous statement about Smallies when I say this....
"Chase Baits The Smuggler" mine got walloped by bass all year. Its smaller profile but still in musky range, has the classic "bloop" sound but with the added flaptail "Patink" sound. It's realistic profile keeps appeal on a pause. It can also be twitched or jerked and it'll roll and glide some.
chuckski
Posted 2/10/2022 12:16 AM (#1002343 - in reply to #1002315)

I have two with I bought two from Team Rhino both Bobbies Frog colored reg. and Orange black dot Jointed. They look nice going thru the water and bring up fish when nothing else is working but you get follows and no way to convert strike. Maybe its the wings lousy hookers too!
jdsplasher
Posted 2/10/2022 4:54 AM (#1002344 - in reply to #1002343)

chuckski - 2/10/2022 12:16 AM I have two with I bought two from Team Rhino both Bobbies Frog colored reg. and Orange black dot Jointed. They look nice going thru the water and bring up fish when nothing else is working but you get follows and no way to convert strike. Maybe its the wings lousy hookers too!

Either walk the bait around the boat on top……Or, pull the creeper under just like any other figure 8. Creeper will spin like a bucktai, and at times works to convert! 

Drop spreaders are huge for hookups! Insist on this design, or if wood lure, modify hook set up yourself.

They are also a awesome lure to troll W/ trolling motor……slow methodical troll!  When I guided, clients we’re riveted to this method. They loved the visual. Usually inside an  hour, you knew if the pattern was on, or Not!

JD 

MartinTD
Posted 2/10/2022 7:19 AM (#1002345 - in reply to #1002315)

I've had good luck on the Drifter/Sennett Tackle Creeptonite.
North of 8
Posted 2/10/2022 7:38 AM (#1002346 - in reply to #1002341)

7.62xJay - 2/9/2022 11:17 PM

North of 8 - 2/9/2022 10:19 PM

-Aw dude it's super easy unless your hearing impaired. Straight retrieve your ears will tell everything, nothing wrong with erratic reel wind cadence, pausing, or short jerks if you want
-Admittedly i myself don't throw em much unless im night fishing smallmouth water. That Unknown giant blow up is so F* exhilarating,giant smallies on heavily trafficked water love to hit big crawlers at night.
-I Have 2 Bobbies Creepin Hawgs, I've got no complaints about em.
Take into consideration my previous statement about Smallies when I say this....
"Chase Baits The Smuggler" mine got walloped by bass all year. Its smaller profile but still in musky range, has the classic "bloop" sound but with the added flaptail "Patink" sound. It's realistic profile keeps appeal on a pause. It can also be twitched or jerked and it'll roll and glide some.

So, I probably shouldn't use unless I have both hearing aids in? LOL.
(Lost almost all the hearing in one ear due to sudden hearing loss syndrome in my 40s, other one some impairment due to age and thousands of rounds fired before I learned you should wear ear plugs while using firearms)
7.62xJay
Posted 2/10/2022 8:01 AM (#1002347 - in reply to #1002315)

Can you here some amount of "anything" when running a chopper type bait or a flaptail? Cuz if you can hear some amount of tone with those, than you'll have no problem hearing a creeper.
North of 8
Posted 2/10/2022 8:09 AM (#1002349 - in reply to #1002347)

7.62xJay - 2/10/2022 8:01 AM

Can you here some amount of "anything" when running a chopper type bait or a flaptail? Cuz if you can hear some amount of tone with those, than you'll have no problem hearing a creeper.

Yes, for instance with a Nite Walker, I can tell if it is running correctly. I normally have the aids in but if it is rainy, I don't like to wear them. Too expensive to take a chance.
chuckski
Posted 2/11/2022 4:53 PM (#1002399 - in reply to #1002315)

under water figure eight with creeper? Great idea! I've caught a Muskie on Flaptail on the underwater figure eight. And had Muskies swim around my boat laughing and flipping there tail at me as I walk my lure around the boat. Sure creepers are nice looking lures but when it comes too creepy crawler type lures I'm a Hawg Wobbler, Scuttle Bug, and Flaptail guy!
Thanks for the tip jdspasher. Besides the Bobbies I have a old Baur.
nar160
Posted 2/14/2022 5:19 PM (#1002458 - in reply to #1002315)

Most of the creepers that people talk about are not actually available. Getting on a 3 year wait list, having to know someone, or paying $200 for a used one doesn't count. No comment on what is best, but here is some feedback on two that you can actually buy:

The Bitten creeper is readily available, inexpensive, and works great out of box. It seems built quite well and doesn't seem to need tuning. It's a smaller bait overall, two 4/0 hooks, < 3 oz, no spreader.

The Creeptonite can be had directly from Drifter. When I ordered, they were slow and I had to hassle them but it eventually came. Larger bait - three 5/0s, 4.2 oz. Mine needed tuning and is somewhat finicky. The bait sometimes requires a little pop to get it started. That last part is very frustrating if you're using it at night and can't see that it is working at the end of a long cast. It's possible mine is just not dialed in quite right.

Another one that may be of interest is the TR Customs creeper. He makes a couple different versions and people seem to be pretty happy with them. I don't have experience with them.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 2/16/2022 4:59 PM (#1002561 - in reply to #1002458)

I used to use Hi-Finn Creepers and Hawg Busters that were made from wood many years ago. Then they switched to plastic bodies that were not as good in my opinion, so I used B.S Willy creepers that were great for many years after that. B.S Willy's are no longer being made now.
At the Milwaukee show this weekend Hi-Finn was in the booth next to us so I started talking with Chuck the new owner. -super nice guy, They are now making wood creepers and Hawg Busters again. I was very happy to hear this. Team Rhino and Dorn's in Madison will be carrying them soon.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)