Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Need help with two stroke oil injected Yamaha

Reply New post
Message Subject: Need help with two stroke oil injected Yamaha
bullfrog
Posted 4/22/2019 5:02 PM (#936077)
Subject: Need help with two stroke oil injected Yamaha

I have a two stroke 40 horse Yamaha. My question is what can I do when the oil reservoir alarm goes off? There still appears to be 4 to 6 ounces of oil in there yet the motor will not run more than idle speed. If I were to get stranded say Downriver, what are some ways around this to I run at full power. I usually carry extra oil but sometimes I don't.
VMS
Posted 4/22/2019 5:51 PM (#936080 - in reply to #936077)
Subject: Re: Need help with two stroke oil injected Yamaha

Hiya,

The low oil alarm will go on when you are low so the good thing is, it's working!! When the alarm goes off, the engine will go into reduced mode so as not to run out of oil, ultimately seizing your engine up. THAT is a great thing to have!!

The biggest thing is before you leave for any trip, top off your oil on the engine reservoir. It is much better to play on the side of caution rather than run into an issue while out there...

I also still run 2 stroke motors, and before any big trip, I will always fill my reservoir. I also carry an extra gallon with me at all times with a funnel and rag to fill and keep things clean if I spill.

Steve
Slimetime 2
Posted 4/22/2019 8:16 PM (#936086 - in reply to #936077)
Subject: RE: Need help with two stroke oil injected Yamaha

Sounds like your oil sending unit. This happened on my Merc last summer, plenty of oil but the oil level sending unit went bad, making the motor think it was low on oil. Alarm went off constantlly and as stated it limits the power of the motor to prevent blowing it up. (In case it was ACTUALLY low on oil). It was a job for my repair shop for me.....plus they could accurately diagnose it, if it was something else. But that's my guess.
25homes
Posted 4/23/2019 7:22 AM (#936102 - in reply to #936086)
Subject: Re: Need help with two stroke oil injected Yamaha

This is why mine is disconnected and I mix my own oil. Im not depending on an alarm and oil pump to be working when I can simple mix myself and know its getting what it needs at all time..I removed the resovoir and all so there is xtra room too
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)