Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)

Reply New post
Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)
OptionResults
SeaFoam Motor Treatment39 Votes - [36.79%]
Stabil Regular fuel stabilizer (RED dye)8 Votes - [7.55%]
Stabil Marine fuel stabilizer (Blue dye)16 Votes - [15.09%]
Mercury Quickstore7 Votes - [6.6%]
Mercury Powertune1 Votes - [0.94%]
Yamaha Ringfree13 Votes - [12.26%]
Ethanol1 Votes - [0.94%]
Marvel Mystery Oil2 Votes - [1.89%]
Sea Foam Marine3 Votes - [2.83%]
Starbrite Startron3 Votes - [2.83%]
Quickleen6 Votes - [5.66%]
Quickcare4 Votes - [3.77%]
Evinrude 2+42 Votes - [1.89%]
Lucas stabilizer and cleaner1 Votes - [0.94%]
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

Message Subject: Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)
VMS
Posted 4/12/2019 12:32 PM (#935323)
Subject: Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)

Hi everyone,

In the continuing discussion on fuel, one thing that has come up here and there throughout both threads has been the use of additives (system cleaners and/or fuel stabilizers). If you would, please vote on the list provided as to which purchased products you use. If a product you use is not there, please add it to the list. you have the option to vote on multiple products, which I am looking at this (assuming here) something for fuel treatment, and something more as a carbon cleaner/fuel system cleaner)

Thanks

Steve

Edited by VMS 4/12/2019 1:58 PM
horsehunter
Posted 4/12/2019 1:15 PM (#935326 - in reply to #935323)
Subject: Re: Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)

Where I see ethanol are people actually adding ethanol or are they talking whats in the gas they buy. I don't add anything only stabilizer starting about a month before winter layup. I start early not knowing when winter will start. My boat gets used at least 3 times a week so I'm confident my fuel stays reasonably fresh. Up till now I have always used non ethanol fuel 91 octane as recommended in the manual that came with my motor.
VMS
Posted 4/12/2019 1:56 PM (#935335 - in reply to #935323)

The goal here is not the gasoline or ethanol themselves. Those already have things added to them on their own.

I'm interested in the purchased stabilizers/cleaners people are manually adding to their tanks of gas.

Steve
horsehunter
Posted 4/12/2019 2:50 PM (#935339 - in reply to #935323)

I was confused by the vote for ethanol are people actually adding it on their own
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 4/12/2019 4:42 PM (#935348 - in reply to #935323)

for 2 seasons now i have religiously used Amsoil Quick Shot every tank even a bit at over dose. at seasons end and winterizing i also change plugs every season. before i used Quick Shot my plugs would be toast, done, the mechanic would wonder how they made it through the last part of the season and also a carbon build up on the end. . last 2 seasons looking at the pulled plugs you'd think to just put them back and go another season. i didnt and wouldnt , just saying.. this is with a pro xs opti 2 stroke and resort ethanol gas. yes i have a relationship with Amsoil and get it to use but if i didnt i would be buying after what i seen and know now. this is not a winterizing additive though it will stabilize fuel for 4-6 months im told.. its more to combat the effects of ethanol and poor fuel while running as well as cleaning and maintaining the motor.. steve herbeck AML

Edited by Andy Myers Lodge 4/12/2019 5:00 PM
undersized
Posted 4/13/2019 12:34 PM (#935406 - in reply to #935348)

Andy Myers Lodge - 4/12/2019 4:42 PM
its more to combat the effects of ethanol...steve herbeck AML

Wait, what?!

Paul S
Posted 4/14/2019 9:07 AM (#935462 - in reply to #935323)

Ring Free Plus in my Yamaha on every fill up. Once I hit August I'll start putting the Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer at the operational amount for the rest of the season. I fish throughout the winter so I never stabilize my motor.

For my 9.9 Mercury I use Seafoam. I am not worried about stabilizing the fuel since whatever I don't use for the weekend will go in the truck.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/15/2019 8:46 AM (#935602 - in reply to #935462)

Paul S - 4/14/2019 9:07 AM
Ring Free Plus in my Yamaha on every fill up. Once I hit August I'll start putting the Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer at the operational amount for the rest of the season. I fish throughout the winter so I never stabilize my motor.

x2 on the ring free every time, I wait a little longer for the stabilizer. My kicker runs off the same fuel tank, so that makes it easy. I do not fog/winterize my motors anymore.
Nick59
Posted 4/15/2019 9:38 AM (#935606 - in reply to #935323)

So.... those of you using Seafoam.... do you use non alcohol gas?
Big discussion on another thread about contents of Seafoam including alcohol.
sworrall
Posted 4/15/2019 9:42 AM (#935607 - in reply to #935323)

https://seafoamsales.com/knowledge-base/how-to-use-sea-foam-in-fuel/
VMS
Posted 4/15/2019 10:00 AM (#935608 - in reply to #935323)

Hiya,

Here is my plan with this survey...

I am going to look into the biggest brands being used, and do what I can to figure out just what is in them. The overall goal is to get information out there as to what is really in the products we put into our tanks, and hopefully give us a much better understanding of what these products are. The Ethanol threads have been very interesting, and with the common use of other items to help our fuel systems out, this might be a good bit of information for everyone.

Steve
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/15/2019 10:11 AM (#935610 - in reply to #935608)

VMS - 4/15/2019 10:00 AM

Hiya,

I am going to look into the biggest brands being used, and do what I can to figure out just what is in them. The overall goal is to get information out there as to what is really in the products we put into our tanks, and hopefully give us a much better understanding of what these products are. The Ethanol threads have been very interesting, and with the common use of other items to help our fuel systems out, this might be a good bit of information for everyone.

Steve

That's awesome Steve, greatly appreciate!
Duffer58
Posted 4/15/2019 7:29 PM (#935638 - in reply to #935606)

I've used Sea Foam in my gas engines including my outboard for 20+ yrs. I don't buy ethanol fuel for any of my gas engines other than my truck. When ethanol first came out we had some issues with fuel lines / other rubber fuel system components in our gas tractors on the farm. Since then I've been religious in buying non-ethanol gas for my gas engines. The components in the small gas engines produced today are ethanol compatible but old habits are hard to break . When I switched to Sea Foam at the recommendation of my small engine mechanic I reduced the number of fuel related issues with my small gas engines. That being said - I'm trying Amsoil Quick Shot in my outboard fuel this year. My buddy tried it last year with excellent results. Noticeable improvement to how his engine ran - especially at lower speeds.
RyanJoz
Posted 4/15/2019 9:23 PM (#935643 - in reply to #935608)

Hiya,

Steve

The guys on the evinrude forum (barnacle bill’s) have extensive research into this already. Beware of certain additives being harsh and eating injector filters. You might also message injector man on his own website where he cleans and rebuilds our board and automotive fuel injectors to see what he recommends or doesn’t.
VMS
Posted 4/16/2019 7:05 AM (#935653 - in reply to #935643)

RyanJoz - 4/15/2019 9:23 PM

Hiya,

Steve

The guys on the evinrude forum (barnacle bill’s) have extensive research into this already. Beware of certain additives being harsh and eating injector filters. You might also message injector man on his own website where he cleans and rebuilds our board and automotive fuel injectors to see what he recommends or doesn’t.

Hiya,

You are hitting on part of my research plan..

Steve
Schultz345
Posted 4/25/2019 2:42 PM (#936245 - in reply to #935323)
Subject: RE: Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)

First thing my marine mechanic told me was to never ever run seafoam in my gas. I listened. i run ring-free and that is it.
horsehunter
Posted 4/25/2019 5:00 PM (#936265 - in reply to #936245)
Subject: RE: Fuel Additives you use in your outboard(s)

Schultz345 - 4/25/2019 3:42 PM

First thing my marine mechanic told me was to never ever run seafoam in my gas. I listened. i run ring-free and that is it.

And his reason was
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 4/26/2019 6:10 AM (#936284 - in reply to #935323)

Ring free and whatever Yamaha sells as a fuel stabilizer.
North of 8
Posted 4/26/2019 7:00 AM (#936286 - in reply to #936284)

The fellow that works on my Suzuki motors is factory certified by both Mercury and Suzuki and he likes adding Seafoam. My kicker is a carb motor and when I had to take it in to get the carbs cleaned, he recommended two things: When done trolling with it, run it wide open for a few minutes each time and to add Seafoam to the fuel. Now he also owns the dealership so no one will contradict him, don't know if it right or wrong but that was his recommendation.
horsehunter
Posted 4/26/2019 7:41 AM (#936289 - in reply to #935323)

price of gas keeps going up and then they want you to throw in a $10 jug of snake oil. Anyone ever troll from a sail boat?
thescottith
Posted 4/26/2019 9:30 AM (#936298 - in reply to #935323)

My Mercury mechanic doesn't like sea foam as well. He is certified mech.
He told me the reason was some people don't read the directions or think hey if one bottle is good two is better! I guess if you add to much sea foam it will eat rubber or plastic parts.
Obviously everyone here wouldn't do that.
VMS
Posted 4/26/2019 9:34 AM (#936299 - in reply to #935323)

O.K everyone...

I'm not going to find all of these, but I will definitely concentrate on Stabil and Seafoam. With Stabil I will look into both the standard (red) and the marine (blue). I will also follow up on Ringfree and Quickclean as well as those had a few votes as well.

Give me a week or two to see what I can come up with.

Steve
North of 8
Posted 4/26/2019 12:25 PM (#936307 - in reply to #936298)

thescottith - 4/26/2019 9:30 AM

My Mercury mechanic doesn't like sea foam as well. He is certified mech.
He told me the reason was some people don't read the directions or think hey if one bottle is good two is better! I guess if you add to much sea foam it will eat rubber or plastic parts.
Obviously everyone here wouldn't do that.

Boy, at the price of repairs, I read the directions very carefully. Even have a dedicated measuring cup marked in ounces for additives. Whoever said that "BOAT" stands for Bust Out Another Thousand nailed it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)