Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Eagle creek Indianapolis

Message Subject: Eagle creek Indianapolis
muskiehunter51
Posted 3/1/2019 9:31 AM (#932048)
Subject: Eagle creek Indianapolis

I'm moving to the Indianapolis area this summer and I saw Eagle Creek is stocked with Muskie, anyone have experience fishing this lake? Whats it like?
jhillman17
Posted 3/1/2019 4:19 PM (#932118 - in reply to #932048)
Subject: RE: Eagle creek Indianapolis

Used to live in Indy, my parents still do... first off, Eagle Creek has a 9.9hp motor limit. The lake gets minimal fishing pressure due to this, but if you are only fishing for muskies, i wouldn't expect much. Last I heard was a couple of years back after a big spring flood, one of the colleges who were studying the stocked muskies did a radio tracking on the muskies and couldn't locate a single fish in the lake. Not sure i believe they all flooded out or died, but it didnt sound very encouraging in terms of where I'd spend my time. They were put in there as a means to try to control shad in the lake, but this is not the first method they've tried. They have gone through stocking predator fish in the lake before, Pike, Wipers, walleye's and now muskies. Every few years they seem to move onto something else.

Again, i don't/didnt fish it that much, just due to lack of effort it takes. The lakes gets most use from pontoon boats that live on the lake and sailboats. Sailboats are all over! The lake is pretty good for Bass, Crappie, bluegills, and Catfish... but i've only ever managed to catch a few small wipers out of there in regard to stocked fish. That was probably about 15 years ago. May want to try to find some recent results or talk to DNR about how the stocking is now before I would spend time trying to fish it.
mseybert
Posted 3/1/2019 7:10 PM (#932153 - in reply to #932048)
Subject: Re: Eagle creek Indianapolis

They are low density in Eagle Creek for sure. They are getting caught on accident by other fisherman looking for other species though, usually in the river flowing into the reservoir. For me driving two hours to another lake provides better odds. For what it is worth, Eagle Creek only began getting stocked in 2011, didn't get fish in 2017, and according to the DNR may be on the chopping block soon.
Top H2O
Posted 3/1/2019 8:30 PM (#932163 - in reply to #932153)

They have a Great Golf Course complex.... Never heard anything good about the fishing.
muskiehunter51
Posted 3/2/2019 7:21 AM (#932174 - in reply to #932048)

I was told it’s now sailing only, but that was by a guy who doesn’t fish there lol also they only allow you on half the lake most of the time for sailing competitions I heard? I don’t plan on spending much time there but it will be close. Thanks for the info guys!
jhillman17
Posted 3/4/2019 10:10 AM (#932278 - in reply to #932048)

Yeah, the south end of the lake is seperated from the north end and boats have to go under 56th street bridge/causeway to get to the north end. Sailboats would have to remove masts, etc... to get under so they all stay on the south end. The biggest problem is that the boat ramp is on the far south end of the lake, so just getting to the north end half kinda stinks.
muskiehunter51
Posted 3/4/2019 1:08 PM (#932297 - in reply to #932048)

Do they happen to rent powered boats there? Not into sailing lol
7ovr50
Posted 3/5/2019 5:24 AM (#932343 - in reply to #932048)

I wonder if sail trolling is better than row trolling?
jhillman17
Posted 3/6/2019 11:54 AM (#932459 - in reply to #932048)

I am not aware of anyone who rents boats on the lake, but I also haven't looked into it in over 5 years. There used to be a place you could rent kayaks and paddle boats, but not sure if that even exists or not anymore.

Just found this place on google - http://www.eaglecreek-outfitters.com/rentals.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)