Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Want to know what your giant weighs and don't have a scale?

Message Subject: Want to know what your giant weighs and don't have a scale?
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/6/2019 7:30 AM (#934777)
Subject: Want to know what your giant weighs and don't have a scale?

In 2017, purveyors of this muskie board asked for a World Record Release category. After much discussion, I worked out a usable weight estimate formula modification and the program was born; see:

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=106707&posts=112&mid=796043&highlight=mille+lacs+queen&highlightmode=1&action=search

Since that time I have been doing considerable more research on the formula subject and its history and enhanced my data base to back-up the new formula created. The following link will take you to my write-up of what I found with comparisons to other weight formulae out there:

READ THE ARTICLE!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Untitled4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled4.jpg (105KB - 412 downloads)
CEK
Posted 4/12/2019 7:06 PM (#935357 - in reply to #934777)
Subject: Re: Want to know what your giant weighs and don't have a scale?

Why is there not a live weight category? With todays technology the Bluetooth scales used to weigh babies could get actual weights of caught fish. I get there are some adaptation challenges, but all the hard work has already been done. I think it would be awesome to have tournaments based on live weight rather than length.
PurpleBuck8
Posted 4/13/2019 2:10 PM (#935411 - in reply to #934777)

Nice work Larry. You talked primarily about four formulas (standard, modified standard, Crawford, modified Crawford). Is there a certain length range we can use determine what formula would be best or most accurate to use on a particular fish? You mentioned the modified standard is good for mid-size 35-45# fish and modified Crawford is for true giants over 50#. What lengths are we talking here?
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/14/2019 9:11 AM (#935463 - in reply to #934777)

Purple: Actually, the modified Standard usually underestimates weight. Easiest thing is use the Crawford Formula for fish under 50 pounds and the new Modified Crawford formula for those over 50 pounds. It is a combination of length and girth that determines estimated weight, so I can't give you a length only answer.
NPike
Posted 4/14/2019 1:28 PM (#935487 - in reply to #935463)

One giant fish regardless.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)