Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Chippewa Flowage Discussion

Message Subject: Chippewa Flowage Discussion
River Addict
Posted 7/2/2018 7:05 AM (#911314)
Subject: Chippewa Flowage Discussion

Looking to open a good discussion:

East V West side of the Chippewa Flowage for musky fishing?

Any thoughts?
Thank You
Johnmg
Posted 7/2/2018 8:52 PM (#911414 - in reply to #911314)
Subject: RE: Chippewa Flowage Discussion

I've gone for a week in August for 12 years now fishing all Musky. Got to where I'm getting 1-3 a week now over 0-1 in the first 5 years of the learning curve. The DNR nettings show a much higher population on the east side but the west side has produced about the same for me per hours fished. Also I go out with a well known guide once a year and he fishes about 50/50 on each side.
Pal
Posted 7/8/2018 6:32 AM (#911769 - in reply to #911414)

My family and I vacation on the Big Chip each year in early August.

Let me must preface my thoughts by saying I enjoy fishing, but I would not consider myself a good fisherman.

That being said, over the years, I have pretty much caught all my fish on the East side. I fish both sides, and I do go out with a well known guide each year, and we hit the West side for a number of spots, but for some reason the East side is better to me. Perhaps because my resort is on the East side, and when I have a chance to get out, I am trying to hit a couple spots quickly.

Paulski
Fish4muskie
Posted 7/12/2018 12:48 PM (#912175 - in reply to #911314)
Subject: Re: Chippewa Flowage Discussion

I’ve seen more fish on the east side. Fished with a couple different guides as well. They have both fished both sides. Had more action on the east side and saw my biggest fish ever on that side as well. The biggest fish I have seen caught up there was on the west side by one of the guides. It was 51 1/2”. So in the decade plus I’ve fished there I’d say there isn’t really a big difference either way.
deantre
Posted 7/14/2018 12:04 PM (#912303 - in reply to #911314)

I stay at Indian Trails on the South East corner and over time (12 yrs) have found that
1. guides will fish all over the flowage with success
2. I thought about my success going to the various hot spots then decided to just focus on the lower east side. Rationale, learn the waters well, and spend more time with my lure in the water and less time cruising all over the flowage. Since then I have noted more success.
3. When I began fishing the flowage I marked my map with places I thought would be good spots. Over the years going out with guides, danged if all the spots I thought would be good were visited by the guides but the big thing was I learned some of the subtleties of those spots and how to effectively approach and fish them from the guides

Edited by deantre 7/14/2018 12:05 PM
Yellowglobe
Posted 7/15/2018 6:14 PM (#912371 - in reply to #911314)
Subject: Re: Chippewa Flowage Discussion

This time of year troll deep water (12 feet +) adjacent to shallow water during the day.
Towards low light hours and darkness toss topwaters around structure (preferably weeds)
Thats what I would do this time of year
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)