Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thorne Predator Heavy?

Message Subject: Thorne Predator Heavy?
curleytail
Posted 7/24/2018 12:32 PM (#913195)
Subject: Thorne Predator Heavy?

Thinking about building myself a rod for next year. Have a Big Nasty that does lots of things well and is primarily my double 10 rod.

Thinking about another rod that does well with crankbaits like Depthraiders, tail rotating topwater, and double 8 up to maybe double 9 tails. Not likely to be a rod that is used for BURNING double 9s. Casting ability while not totally breaking down in a moderate speed figure 8 would be ideal. Crankbaits would have some rips added but not hard ripping of harder pulling cranks regularly.

I was thinking about using a Thorne Predator Heavy blank. If so, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on using the blank as is, or if cutting 1 or 2 inches from the tip would be best.

Also curious how does the Big Nasty compare to the Predator H stock, with 1 inch off, and 2 inches off?

I think ideally I'd be looking at something just a touch lighter than the Big Nasty.

Thanks,

Tucker
Mojo1269
Posted 7/24/2018 12:41 PM (#913197 - in reply to #913195)
Subject: RE: Thorne Predator Heavy?

I have a stock H and an H with 2 off the tip. Both are great rods, the 2' off the tip is more versatile and handles small buck tails as well as 10's and 13's. Does well with cranks etc... That said I still use the stock 9 as a bucktail rod up to 10's at night (it has a slower reel on it than my - 2'). Back in the day I had a 14 Trinidad on it and I used it all the time. I have well over 100 bucktail fish on it. It is soft in the 8 with 10's but I have never felt it compromised my ability to get a good hook set in.
NathanH
Posted 7/24/2018 12:56 PM (#913200 - in reply to #913195)
Subject: RE: Thorne Predator Heavy?

Hey I just bought a Predator Heavy this year, I haven't logged many hours on it due to family obligations. However I think I have a good feel for the rod. You need to go -1 at the very least. I have a one with a -1" It does great on the double 8's and for the topwater. The casting is amazing... great load on that rod. I have not spent much time with the crankbaits yet but will soon. I would call and ask talk to Lonnie tell him what you want to use the rod for and take his feedback. He's very honest about what the blank will do and no do. I wouldn't think of tossing 9's with the heavy -1" slow rolling I think would be fine. I leave those for the Nasty. Its a great blank for smaller bucktails as well, I think Ill be using it a lot in the future. I looked at a million rods last year and I have ocd and remember them all so if you want to talk rods feel free to pm me.

TTS
Posted 7/24/2018 4:41 PM (#913244 - in reply to #913195)
Subject: Re: Thorne Predator Heavy?

I have both a Big Nasty and a Predator -2. I think for what you are looking for, a Predator -2 would be ideal. Personally, I much prefer my Big Nasty for 9's and 10's. Predator loads up in the figure 8 too much for my liking. But it'll work in a pinch. Does cast better though. I use my Predator for just about everything else, excluding gliders, up to and including Magnum Bulldawgs. While I've never used one, I'm guessing a Predator -2 would be similar a Sling Blade? Tom
musky513
Posted 7/24/2018 7:27 PM (#913260 - in reply to #913195)

I’m pretty sure they are (the Predator and Big Nasty blanks) made of the same material. So, a 9’ LT Big Nasty should be the same as the Predator 9’ heavy...
TTS
Posted 7/24/2018 7:43 PM (#913261 - in reply to #913195)

St Croix makes blanks to Thorne Bros specs. Predator heavy is quite a bit different than a Big Nasty blank. It's actually possible to have a Predator built with a Big Nasty blank. All great rods. Tom
WILLEB
Posted 7/24/2018 8:50 PM (#913269 - in reply to #913195)

I have a 9’ ptredator heavy, used it for several years. For me it’s been great for cranks; topwater, and baldes through 8’s. OK for 9’s. Too much give for 10’s for me. Great warranty by Thorne bros, well built rod. For 10’s I use a XXH Okuma and it has enough backbone to throw most of the heavy plastics and jerks as well.
curleytail
Posted 7/26/2018 10:26 AM (#913449 - in reply to #913195)

From what I've read here, makes me think most lean towards the H with 2 inches taken off the tip.

That sounds good, since many like the H-2 for bigger blades as well, which would be a nice side benefit. Would the H-2 still offer good performance with double 8s, spinnerbaits, and medium size Depthraiders? I feel like my Big Nasty does a GOOD job with these baits already, but something just slightly lighter may be better.

Does a Predator H feel lighter in hand (physical weight) than a Big Nasty?
Mojo1269
Posted 7/26/2018 11:46 AM (#913458 - in reply to #913449)

Works great with smaller bucktails too. I was using some 8/9 combos I made yesterday last night when I was out. I also will use it for CJ's and other Spinner Baits. The blank is similar in weight to the Nasty but depending on what guides you use or how you have it corked it cold be a hair lighter too.
TTS
Posted 7/26/2018 12:46 PM (#913464 - in reply to #913195)

I'm quite sure a Predator -2 is exactly what you're looking for. It's a very versatile rod. Does lots of things very well. For the baits you described, it should be perfect. About the only thing I wouldn't consider using it for would be BIG rubber. I had mine made with a 17" split grip handle to match my Big Nasty. Love it. Tom
bucknuts
Posted 7/28/2018 11:46 AM (#913626 - in reply to #913195)

I have the Predator 9'3" Heavy, and a extra heavy. The heavy is good for smaller to medium topwaters and double eights.
The extra heavy is good for everything.
25homes
Posted 7/28/2018 12:00 PM (#913628 - in reply to #913195)

Ive got Big nasty and sling Blade as well as Big Dog and XH predator...My XH predator is way stiffer than the Big Dog and obviously the big dawg is stiffer than big nasty....I love big Nasty and sling Blade for everything I throw. Ill throw Mag dawgs on big nasty if I don't have big dawg but prefer big dawg for Mag dawgs and Predator for Pounders Use a SWAT stick for dbl tens which is softer in the tip than the Big Nasty IMO
curleytail
Posted 7/28/2018 10:50 PM (#913666 - in reply to #913628)

25homes - 7/28/2018 12:00 PM

Ive got Big nasty and sling Blade as well as Big Dog and XH predator...My XH predator is way stiffer than the Big Dog and obviously the big dawg is stiffer than big nasty....I love big Nasty and sling Blade for everything I throw. Ill throw Mag dawgs on big nasty if I don't have big dawg but prefer big dawg for Mag dawgs and Predator for Pounders Use a SWAT stick for dbl tens which is softer in the tip than the Big Nasty IMO

Great. In your experience should I take 1 or 2 inches off the tip of a Predator Heavy then?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)