Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Positioning on Breaklines

Message Subject: Positioning on Breaklines
Vilas15
Posted 8/1/2018 8:00 PM (#914088)
Subject: Positioning on Breaklines

Where do you think fish are typically positioned on breaklines? Say I want to fish a break from 10 ft down to 20 ft, will the fish be at the top, right in the middle at 15, or sitting at the bottom in 20 ft?

Any insight on how to fish breaks would be great too. I typically end up trying to have the cast land right on the break but I'm wondering if I should have the boat closer/further. Also thought maybe I could have the boat shallow and cast into the deeper water.
MTJ
Posted 8/1/2018 8:22 PM (#914089 - in reply to #914088)
Subject: RE: Positioning on Breaklines

Active ones will probably be on top, inactive ones probably on the deep side. Personally I'd position so my bait was landing up on top of the break a little more instead of right on the break.
Fishysam
Posted 8/1/2018 9:53 PM (#914108 - in reply to #914088)
Subject: Re: Positioning on Breaklines

Fish may sit at the top of the break line say 10' down but over the 20' suspended
IAJustin
Posted 8/1/2018 10:35 PM (#914115 - in reply to #914108)

No one right answer. Are you referring to a break line with weeds? Sometimes getting off the break is good ..many times there are nomads near the break suspended..also parallel casting to the break can be very productive on a weed edge.. and yes don’t be a afraid to fish a breakline shallow to deep with the boat just inside the break , I’ve often found this deadly with a DDD ..done right you can get the roamers and the fish using the weed edge as the crank bait comes “up” the weedline
Vilas15
Posted 8/2/2018 12:57 AM (#914125 - in reply to #914115)

IAJustin - 8/1/2018 10:35 PM

No one right answer. Are you referring to a break line with weeds? Sometimes getting off the break is good ..many times there are nomads near the break suspended..also parallel casting to the break can be very productive on a weed edge.. and yes don’t be a afraid to fish a breakline shallow to deep with the boat just inside the break , I’ve often found this deadly with a DDD ..done right you can get the roamers and the fish using the weed edge as the crank bait comes “up” the weedline

No weeds, just rock or main lake structure. I'll give it a shot fishing from the shallow side.

Seems like I should be getting the boat closer to have baits go over the top of the breakline during the retrieve, instead of landing right on it at the end of the cast.
Reelwise
Posted 8/2/2018 5:02 AM (#914128 - in reply to #914125)

Most of the fish I have observed off of breaks... have been set up like this.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(break-1.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(break-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments break-1.jpg (8KB - 375 downloads)
Attachments break-2.jpg (6KB - 376 downloads)
Vilas15
Posted 8/2/2018 1:23 PM (#914194 - in reply to #914128)

Reelwise - 8/2/2018 5:02 AM

Most of the fish I have observed off of breaks... have been set up like this.

Awesome diagram. Is that supposed to be a single fish pointed in or out from the shallow side? Or just an oval showing the typical location of fish?
Top H2O
Posted 8/2/2018 1:40 PM (#914195 - in reply to #914194)

I think that's the Boat's position ? Maybe ? Maybe not ?

Edited by Top H2O 8/2/2018 1:42 PM
Mark Hoerich
Posted 8/2/2018 1:53 PM (#914198 - in reply to #914195)

It's a canoe. And it's at night.

And I like IAJustin's answer. Just fish.

Edited by Mark Hoerich 8/2/2018 1:55 PM
Reelwise
Posted 8/2/2018 5:05 PM (#914231 - in reply to #914088)

The oval is a fish. I thought about putting eyes on it... but, figured it would be enough. The fish is pointing towards the break. lol

Sorry... only took a few seconds to draw those up.
Reelwise
Posted 8/2/2018 5:08 PM (#914233 - in reply to #914088)

One can just fish... but, predicting or knowing how the fish is positioned can be very important when it comes to catching. Catching isn't the most important thing... but, some people like to increase their chances of catching... and this is just one piece of the puzzle that can increase those chances.

People want to learn... and this is how they learn. Simply going out and fishing... and not paying attention to things like this... only limits yourself.

But, I like to just go out there and fish, too. Every day doesn't have to be a scientific break-down of things
Reelwise
Posted 8/2/2018 5:15 PM (#914234 - in reply to #914233)

For instance...

When Muskies are set up like in the diagram... I have done well keeping my cast directly in front of me... and bringing the lure directly over the fish's head... or just off to the side. Casting this way can keep the bait within' eye-sight... and in the proper zone as far as the strike-zone goes... for a longer period of time... with a smaller chance of coming into contact with the fish somewhere other than around it's head.
tyler k
Posted 8/3/2018 12:18 PM (#914360 - in reply to #914088)

*cough* Side imaging *cough*
Troll or just cruise the secondary breakline (the dividing line where the drop starts to level out and transition to a muck bottom), watch your electronics, note where the forage is and try to spot muskies and evaluate where they are positioned. My gut tells me there are lake specific patterns to this, likely based on time of year and available forage.

By my personal observation, as well as things alluded to in many articles, and through talking with (far better) fisherman friends of mine, I am convinced that muskies will position themselves along bottom content transitions (rock/gravel/sand to muck) yet often be suspended above them. For example on one lake I fish, there are two basins. The secondary break on the south basin is in about 30 FOW. First time out there I caught a fat 46.75" and a 40.75" running a bait ~6' down. Both fish were in 26-30 FOW, coinciding with the transition from hard to soft bottom.

For what it's worth, one of the absolute best musky fisherman I know has told me you're better off crowding an edge than sitting too far off of it.
Reelwise
Posted 8/3/2018 1:28 PM (#914382 - in reply to #914088)

Great post, Tyler.
Sudszee
Posted 8/4/2018 9:50 AM (#914492 - in reply to #914198)

Mark Hoerich - 8/2/2018 1:53 PM

It's a canoe. And it's at night.

And I like IAJustin's answer. Just fish.

LOL.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)