Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Sabaskong Bay Advice

Message Subject: Sabaskong Bay Advice
Cabbage Patch
Posted 12/9/2018 4:27 PM (#925408)
Subject: Sabaskong Bay Advice

Going up to Mylie's first week in July and wondering if someone is willing to share some tips for muskies. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PM is cool.

Than you
jvlast15
Posted 12/11/2018 10:41 AM (#925542 - in reply to #925408)
Subject: RE: Sabaskong Bay Advice

Have not spent a ton of time in July up there, but I focus on sand beaches with the pencil -type weed (not sure what the weed actually is). I think the key at this time if finding those bays that have rock structure adjacent or leading out of the bay as well. I would think of them as transitional spots.

My focus would not be on main lake rock structure. That becomes a late July to Early September pattern.

Along with that, I would focus on smaller bucktails (singles and 8s) and twitch/crank baits in the 6-8 inch range at this time, personally. But that is just what I have confidence in. Youll get many responses saying the only thing you need on Sab Bay is a bucktail and a topwater.

Jeff Hanson
Posted 12/13/2018 3:59 PM (#925824 - in reply to #925542)

I have spent a couple weeks in early July there stayed at Redwing lodge.
Shallow sand beaches, shallow weeds and reeds were best for us. Did not do well on rock or reefs unless it had weeds mixed in. Weeds in the back end of bays were really good. And if cold front we found them in the heaviest (thickest) weeds we could find.
This bucktail was best the last 2 years I went:
https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/collections/bucktails/products/spanky-...
Second best was:
https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/collections/bucktails/products/spanky-...
Black with smoke blades can be good too.
Did good on spinnerbaits in the thick stuff/ Reeds. Black and orange and black and chartreuse.
Twitch baits 7" Big Games and Grandmas were good also. In perch and firetiger
Topraiders were good as well as One Eye Willy Jr. even during middle of the day.
Had some Giants come out of the slop on sloppy pigs but they would not eat them, we were surprised how shallow those big fish were.
Good luck lots of fish there,
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 12/14/2018 12:11 PM
mikie
Posted 12/14/2018 4:37 PM (#925879 - in reply to #925824)
Subject: Re: Sabaskong Bay Advice

Best advice I can offer is to get a Canadian hydrographic lak map sent to you, and spend the next several months staring at it, marking likely reefs, bays, structure, and WATER HAZARDS.
You will need map # 6214 Sabaskong Bay www.charts.gc.ca

Don't always rely on your GPS up there, always use both the map and GPS to navigate. That lake takes lower units when you're not real careful. good luck. m
jdeezay74
Posted 12/14/2018 5:38 PM (#925882 - in reply to #925408)

Stay at red wing lodge a few times during that time of year. Each time different it was based off of the end of winter and ice out I know its July but the water temps and weed growth I think are the main ingredients. As said in the last post smaller lures always worked for us like single bladed bucktails, spinnerbaits, and topwaters. Lots of fishy spots everywhere. You will narrow that down quick had good success around the blueberry island area.
DRPEPIN
Posted 12/18/2018 5:27 PM (#926187 - in reply to #925408)

My son and I stayed at Young's wilderness camp at for northeastern end of Sabaskong Bay first week of July 2017. Great fishing, great resort and food. Would recommend looking into it also. Muskies were found on rock and weed combinations on small buck tails.
figure 8
Posted 12/19/2018 12:26 PM (#926242 - in reply to #926187)

Was up there that week last year. Smaller baits were good for us also. Walleye shallow invaders and regular size black and orange bulldawgs worked good. And that Bullhead Spanky double 8 mentioned before got our 2 biggest fish of week. 48" and 47.5"
Side to side topwater got some action too but was smaller fish. Weeds were best for us also caught a lot of pike too.
Good luck. Fun place to fish.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 12/30/2018 8:22 PM (#926996 - in reply to #926242)

Anybody fish down by the Blueberry Islands area? Compared to other areas in Sabaskong Bay.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/31/2018 9:04 AM (#927010 - in reply to #926996)

Cabbage Patch - 12/30/2018 8:22 PM

Anybody fish down by the Blueberry Islands area? Compared to other areas in Sabaskong Bay.

Yes. I find there are actually a good amount of large fish in that general area.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)