Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Topwater Musky Information

Message Subject: Topwater Musky Information
Ferrulewax
Posted 3/3/2019 3:55 PM (#932233)
Subject: Topwater Musky Information

What do you guys consider to be prime time to catch musky on topwaters?

I mostly fish southern rivers, so I assume the time of year will not be the same for you northern guys, but what prompts you to start throwing topwaters? Any info on Water temps, pre/post spawn or air temperatures would be great. Just looking for some general guidelines.
VMS
Posted 3/3/2019 5:00 PM (#932234 - in reply to #932233)
Subject: Re: Topwater Musky Information

My favorite days are those that are dead flat calm through the day...really hot and humid. As the sun starts to go down and hit the horizon, that for me is my most productive time. I love a good slow-moving topwater for this. A good side-to-side is great in this as well, but not just a steady walk the dog...mix it up, pause it, etc... The pause can be deadly!! I'd say water temps are probably mid 70's at this point...

I will also throw topwater in wind so the bait is going against the wave travel. Double prop baits are great for this. Falling water temperatures in late summer are hot for me, so most likely in the upper 60's to 70 or so.

Steve

Edited by VMS 3/3/2019 5:02 PM
ToddC
Posted 3/3/2019 5:23 PM (#932235 - in reply to #932233)

Agree with Steve. On my home flowage water evenings are best by far. Rear props like TopRaiders, WTD baits and slow movers like the Hawg Wobbler have earned their place in my boat. Like Steve said, when we get that first big cool down in late summer & early fall that’s the time. When that water temp drops 10 degrees in a couple days those fish will be up shallow and eating. Top waters are my favorite and my three biggest fish on my lake have all come on top. Can’t wait to get back out throwing them! Good luck this season!
mikie
Posted 3/3/2019 6:20 PM (#932237 - in reply to #932235)

First thing in the morning, just as the steam is rolling off the water.
"Muskies in the mist." m
North of 8
Posted 3/3/2019 6:42 PM (#932240 - in reply to #932237)

I have had the best luck in the evening with tail prop style topwater, during the day I like walk the dog, worked aggressively. Also musky sized buzz baits seem to work at times during the day. But, like with a lot of issues with baits, I wonder: Is that really the best time or do I have better luck at those times, with those baits because that is when I tend to throw them?
nar160
Posted 3/4/2019 4:38 PM (#932318 - in reply to #932233)

Any situation where a bucktail is the default is a potential topwater scenario. I'd rather use a bucktail - they are faster, better in figure 8, and better at hooking biters, but sometimes topwaters work better. Some examples:

- very shallow rocks or heavy subsurface weeds make a spot easier to work with a topwater
- they stop following/biting bucktails after negative weather conditions arrive
- at times in summer through mid fall they seem to just prefer topwater
- throwing back at a fish you've moved but couldn't get to bite
- you've been throwing 10s for a week straight and just the sight of a bucktail makes your hands hurt

No positive experiences for me with water temps under 55 or above 75, but I haven't tried a lot. I'm sure they can be caught at times.
kdawg
Posted 3/4/2019 5:14 PM (#932322 - in reply to #932233)
Subject: RE: Topwater Musky Information

Late summer/early fall period, calm water, low clouds, so low u can almost reach up and grab them. Kdawg
true tiger tamer
Posted 3/4/2019 5:27 PM (#932323 - in reply to #932233)

Early morning, late summer, early fall. don't try these times as topwater is too addictive. Stop while you still can, this is a warning from a hardcore topwater addict. I caught my first tailspin topwater fish in a Tennessee river early in the morning on a late summer day. Haven't been able to fish much else during this time period!
RJ_692
Posted 3/5/2019 7:38 AM (#932353 - in reply to #932233)

when muskies are using the surface as an edge. in Mr. Pearsons book "Muskies on the Shield" he has nice section on topwaters and talks about combining edges it a good read if you have the time. When muskies are feeding up in the water column a topwater can be a fantastic tool as the fish has a strategic advantage over the bait. This can be over 1ft or 100ft.
Smell_Esox
Posted 3/5/2019 8:15 AM (#932356 - in reply to #932233)

Another good time to use a topwater is when you are tired and your wrist is sore.
vegas492
Posted 3/5/2019 8:45 AM (#932357 - in reply to #932233)

I like walk the dog topwaters when the water is colder. Slower presentation.
I like the prop style when the water is warmer. Obviously evenings and mornings are good times.
I love topwater, any kind, on those misty/humid days.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/5/2019 10:08 AM (#932361 - in reply to #932233)

WTD baits I usually throw in calm to relatively calm conditions anytime of the day. I usually throw them when fish aren't moving on bucktails and before i go to jerkbaits. I like Jackpots for covering more water and Willie's and Big Mamas if I have a fish already located. I hardly ever throw prop baits when it's flat calm unless it's at first or last light. Prop baits shine for me when it's blowing hard. The only topwater I throw after dark are Hawg Wobblers and Creepers.
phselect
Posted 3/6/2019 9:41 AM (#932448 - in reply to #932233)

Anytime, though mornings, evenings, and overcast days seem the best. Walk the dog style baits are awesome cast-back lures. Prop style = search; Walk the dog = destroy.
musky513
Posted 3/6/2019 9:59 AM (#932452 - in reply to #932233)

I don't think there is a wrong time of day to throw topwater. I have caught fish in bright sun flat calm water at high noon on both prop style baits, or slower flaptail type lures. That being said, I do prefer low light periods of the day or an overcast day with a little breeze for prop baits. Flaptails I prefer the the water be pretty calm. WTD baits a little breeze is fine. After dark I like propbaits. I believe that they create a constant disturbance that is easier to track for the fish.
Sudszee
Posted 3/6/2019 10:25 AM (#932454 - in reply to #932452)

At night when calm is great with a slow rollin noisy topwater
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)