Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> New boat help

Reply New post
Message Subject: New boat help
Bringwolski
Posted 6/9/2018 10:12 AM (#909528)
Subject: New boat help

Hey guys,

The wife and I are looking to buy our first boat this fall. I originally was looking at bass boats because of the open layout and large casting decks, but now she wants something more family friendly (for the soon to be kids and family leisure) that has more than a bench seat for seating options. Lately I have been looking at walleye style boats but I just don't really see anything that has a decent rear deck for casting. The boats we have in mind are a Lund Impact 1875, aluma competitor, and ranger angler 1880 or reata. Are any of the ranger boats decent boats for casting? As well as smaller bodies of water? I primarily fish bass and musky in se wi but also musky and walleye fish hayward area. I primarily fish 1000-2000 acre lakes, once in a while shawano lake (6000?). I guess my biggest concerns are the rangers listed above don't seem very cast friendly unless there is a rear deck extension option I haven't seen. I like that the lund has a fold down rear deck. Fisherman series is out of our price range also. Thanks for any input from those who have used or own the boats listed.
WILLEB
Posted 6/10/2018 5:46 PM (#909583 - in reply to #909528)
Subject: Re: New boat help

I have an 2014 ranger 1880 angler, and the rear deck is good for casting. I noticed the new models have a different transom design (to take a 200hp motor vs. the 175hp max design of mine) and the rear casting deck is smaller. It loads / unloads fairly easy from the drive-on bunk trailer. Has 4 seat pedestal positions on the lower deck plus 1 each on the front and back decks.
Also handles the big water pretty well, I use it on Green Bay and Vermilion.
ajconboy
Posted 6/11/2018 12:14 PM (#909638 - in reply to #909528)
Subject: RE: New boat help

I would consider looking at a skeeter MX2040 or (MX2025). For the price of a new Ranger Angler you would probably be pretty close. These are a great cross over boat with good casting decks in both the front and back. Also a very shallow draft if you are looking to get into shallow water. From my experience they handle big water with the best of them. Also probably has some of the best rod storage options in the market without sacrificing other storage space.
anderj85
Posted 6/11/2018 12:48 PM (#909645 - in reply to #909528)

I have a alumacraft competitor 205 CS. You can get the rear casting platform for $500-600. It's hard to beat the rod storage and the amount of floor space it has, lots of room.
sworrall
Posted 6/11/2018 3:55 PM (#909666 - in reply to #909645)

Look at the Lund Crossover XS Series, exactly what you seem to be looking for in a 1775 and an 1875.

https://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/crossover-xs/
Muskie Brofessor
Posted 6/12/2018 11:20 AM (#909745 - in reply to #909528)
Subject: RE: New boat help

I second the Alumacraft competitor in whatever size you want.

2018 Alumacraft Competitor 175 WT
Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO

TheShow
Posted 6/12/2018 11:27 AM (#909746 - in reply to #909666)

One of the reasons we chose the 1775 Impact was the fold down rear deck with the built in seats. Huge asset. The salesman claimed that with the deck down, that boat has more castable and walkable deck space then the comparable Ranger. I haven't researched that to prove it but I think its valid. Minus the single console I can easily walk a lap around the deck, front, side, to back.

We are a family of 4 and all have plenty of room while the wife and I chuck musky baits and my 2 boys throw smaller stuff for bass/northerns.

The side rod lockers are only 8' on the 1775 but I have the external tubes in the starboard console. Those are nice for neatly storing 9' rods, although the reels are exposed and they are not locked in the rod locker.

Plus when I priced the Lund vs the Competitor with my preferred options and incentives, the Lund came in a much better value.

Edited by TheShow 6/12/2018 11:32 AM
Landry
Posted 6/13/2018 3:33 PM (#909891 - in reply to #909528)

The skeeter MX boats are amazing. I fished IN one last year and it was perfect.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)