Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> You gotta fight, for your right

Message Subject: You gotta fight, for your right
FlyPiker
Posted 6/7/2018 10:35 PM (#909425)
Subject: You gotta fight, for your right

Recent email I recieved:

There is a public meeting regarding the Wright County Mandatory boat inspection pilot program tomorrow at Annandale City Hall at 4:30pm.

Friday, June 8, 4:30pm. Annandale, City Hall.

I can't be there.

I hope some of you can!!

This program, if expanded, will be the beginning of the end for public access to public waters.

The lake associations are growing bolder and stronger, and they want us OFF of "their" lake.

It's already working. The data on this program shows it costs a fortune, isn't preventing any AIS contaminations, and is severely reducing the number of boats being put in these lakes.

This is what they want! They want to make it so difficult to launch your boat that you just give up.

We need anglers to show up in numbers and provide good, civil, comments against this program!

Spread the word.

I know this is all getting old here in MN... but if we dont get out and get our voices heard we'll find gates in front of our public accesses. If you can make it, please come. Lets keep our public waters open to the public.

Cfollow
Posted 6/8/2018 6:35 AM (#909434 - in reply to #909425)
Subject: RE: You gotta fight, for your right

FLYPIKER, can you give us any more details on this program?
So tired of this BS. The State of MN needs to step in on the accesses they own which are the vast majority and put an end to this nonsense. The county can't do a GD thing unless the sate allows it.
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/8/2018 7:28 AM (#909439 - in reply to #909434)
Subject: RE: You gotta fight, for your right

Cfollow - 6/8/2018 6:35 AM

FLYPIKER, can you give us any more details on this program?
So tired of this BS. The State of MN needs to step in on the accesses they own which are the vast majority and put an end to this nonsense. The county can't do a GD thing unless the sate allows it.

The program they have implemented is legal by statute. See SS 84d.105 subd. 2(f).
MOJOcandy101
Posted 6/8/2018 8:18 AM (#909442 - in reply to #909425)
Subject: Re: You gotta fight, for your right

Is this something more than your typical person that's at the access inspecting for weeds/asking what was the last lake your boat was in?
tolle141
Posted 6/8/2018 8:30 AM (#909444 - in reply to #909425)

4:30pm on a Friday in Annandale. They suck. Thanks for the FYI.

They expanding the program? Have the associations run out of money yet?
MOJOcandy101
Posted 6/8/2018 9:03 AM (#909446 - in reply to #909442)

MOJOcandy101 - 6/8/2018 8:18 AM

Is this something more than your typical person that's at the access inspecting for weeds/asking what was the last lake your boat was in?

WOW, I just read an article on it and apparently its much more than that. Do they plan on having someone there 24/7 to give out these receipts/zip ties?

http://www.startribune.com/new-wright-county-boat-inspection-progra...

Edited by MOJOcandy101 6/8/2018 9:37 AM
FlyPiker
Posted 6/8/2018 9:08 AM (#909448 - in reply to #909425)

Is there anyone familiar with any of the lakes in the metro that have implemented this? If I remember right it has happened on Christmas Lake. Basically, theres a gate and someone, i believe a lake association memlber, has to come check you out. So, night fishing... good luck. Have a Tuesday off? Have fun waiting for random dude or gal to come check your boat. This is all info Ive heard from others, no personal experience. Id love to hear from people who have actually had to deal with this.

Edited by FlyPiker 6/8/2018 9:11 AM
muskie-don58
Posted 6/8/2018 10:00 AM (#909451 - in reply to #909425)

“Elitism” - the human condition, the sin of pride, of self
Cfollow
Posted 6/8/2018 11:12 AM (#909457 - in reply to #909451)

WOW, just wow. I just read the Strib article and this program is 100 kinds of stupid. An offsite location to inspect watercraft already going into heavily AIS invested waters is going to accomplish what exactly?
People think off site inspections aren't limiting access? Are you kidding me?
On the bright side we won't need to fight for musky stocking since we wont be able to get on the GD lakes anyway!
This local AIS law needs to be changed NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the work around is to fish with a buddy and then go park the truck and trailer offsite.

Edited by Cfollow 6/8/2018 11:16 AM
VMS
Posted 6/8/2018 12:00 PM (#909465 - in reply to #909425)

Hiya,

I think the intent is good, but the method definitely needs work. The main problem I see is the implementation is completely backwards, and definitely not put in the right places.

Although I do agree with ensuring things are clean and drained properly, I do feel that to implement correctly and make it efficient, each access would need a cleaning station and attendant to clean, inspect and tag your rig. They can be doing this when the boater is attaching tie down straps, help with debris removal, etc. Get your tag to go to whatever next lake of your choice and you are good to go.

Only one major problem..... Not enough money, not enough people.. For this to be something to work, I feel the program would need a state employee at each access doing the work so there is no bias toward a particular lake or watershed...

Steve
raftman
Posted 6/8/2018 12:34 PM (#909467 - in reply to #909465)

This is worthless. What they need is a 10 year study performed on a lake that is mostly w/o AIS that proves such actions effectively reduce the spread of AIS. I clean, I drain, and I inspect every time I leave the water but I would be lying if I said I feel it makes an enormous difference. Short of limiting access, I would almost think you would need a heated power wash to truly be effective.
North of 8
Posted 6/8/2018 12:42 PM (#909469 - in reply to #909467)

raftman - 6/8/2018 12:34 PM

This is worthless. What they need is a 10 year study performed on a lake that is mostly w/o AIS that proves such actions effectively reduce the spread of AIS. I clean, I drain, and I inspect every time I leave the water but I would be lying if I said I feel it makes an enormous difference. Short of limiting access, I would almost think you would need a heated power wash to truly be effective.

I saw something on one of the outdoors/fishing shows where they cleaned the boat with a steam cleaner, like power washer but a jet of steam to sterilize. Don't remember if it was a demo or an actual cleaning station. Obviously, would need a trained attendant.
Softwater
Posted 6/8/2018 1:44 PM (#909475 - in reply to #909469)

North of 8 - 6/8/2018 12:42 PM

raftman - 6/8/2018 12:34 PM

I saw something on one of the outdoors/fishing shows where they cleaned the boat with a steam cleaner, like power washer but a jet of steam to sterilize. Don't remember if it was a demo or an actual cleaning station. Obviously, would need a trained attendant.

They had one at the SE public launch on LVD in the past cleaning boats coming off the water...Don't know if it's still active (or maybe only on "big weekends?"), but was shut down by the time we got off the water. Was a big rig.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 6/8/2018 2:35 PM (#909482 - in reply to #909425)

Oh yes the state has spent big money on the hot water pressure washers. They are called decontamination stations. It's a free boat wash if you work it right. Also tell them your tires where in the lake and they should wash your truck also.
North of 8
Posted 6/8/2018 5:25 PM (#909493 - in reply to #909425)

Tonight on the Rhinelander TV station, one of the lead stories was how Vilas County has four high power, heated pressure washing stations that will be used at popular boat landings. Something I really don't much about but their conservation person said is a big issue is water fleas and this will deal with those as well.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 6/8/2018 5:28 PM (#909494 - in reply to #909425)

By setting the meeting at 4:30 you pretty well know what the city or county is thinking. At that time everyone is either on the parking lots know as highways or still at work. If they wanted to hear both sides they would have scheduled the meeting for 7:30 on a mid week night.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/8/2018 6:14 PM (#909504 - in reply to #909494)

I've had it done at LVD as well. If what they are trying to do is like the one at LVD I don't really have a problem with it. It was a simple spray down and check the live wells. It took no more than a couple minutes. If it is a more extensive cleaning than I think it would make more sense to put cleaning stations at lakes that are "infected" and just clean the boats when they come out rather than having someone at every lake, cleaning every boat before they launch. IMO that would make more sense.
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/8/2018 8:19 PM (#909509 - in reply to #909493)

North of 8 - 6/8/2018 5:25 PM

Tonight on the Rhinelander TV station, one of the lead stories was how Vilas County has four high power, heated pressure washing stations that will be used at popular boat landings. Something I really don't much about but their conservation person said is a big issue is water fleas and this will deal with those as well.

The units heat water in excess of 140 degrees F. 140 degrees will kill zm in 10 seconds. Contact time increases exponentially as temperature decreases. The heat is the key. The pressure just removes things stuck on, common misconception is that high pressure is doing the killing but most second can be done without it. Low flow, 140+ degree water works best. I have a fleet of 8 of them.

With spiny water flea, the threat isn't the swf's themselves, it's the resting eggs or females with eggs. The eggs can resist drying and freezing. Commonly transferred via mud, which is why it's crucial to inspect your anchor after using. It's rare I see clean anchors, though people seem to be doing better.

I can't/won't comment much on the original topic. I know all about it, but this is not an appropriate forum for me to discuss it.
raftman
Posted 6/8/2018 10:26 PM (#909519 - in reply to #909493)

North of 8 - 6/8/2018 5:25 PM

Oh good. 3 lakes getting mandatory inspections in Minnesota and 4 boat landings in Wisconsin with heated pressure washer. Great stories for local media to report on. Makes the general public feel all warm and good inside b/c we’re saving our lakes. Really it’s just burning cash and maybe slightly delaying AIS from spreading. I’m normally not a black and white person but with this issue I am. Either our freedoms with our waters must be severely limited or we learn to live with our ever changing waters. Really this issues needs to be first addressed much further upstream. The local efforts like these will not be effective.
danlaboucane
Posted 6/9/2018 7:34 AM (#909521 - in reply to #909519)

we already have this on at least 75% landings in quebec canada and the locked gates with $30 to $500 cost to put boat in sometimes for ONE day ,and some have 7 am to 9 pm restrictions, the federal government gave away all rights to landings to the municipalities a while ago to get rid of the spending and now they see they can restrict access so the resident pay a few percent and non resident full price + the washing that is non effective just a money grab .

Edited by danlaboucane 6/9/2018 7:35 AM
Softwater
Posted 6/11/2018 9:53 AM (#909618 - in reply to #909504)

Musky_Mo16 - 6/8/2018 6:14 PM

I've had it done at LVD as well. If what they are trying to do is like the one at LVD I don't really have a problem with it. It was a simple spray down and check the live wells. It took no more than a couple minutes. If it is a more extensive cleaning than I think it would make more sense to put cleaning stations at lakes that are "infected" and just clean the boats when they come out rather than having someone at every lake, cleaning every boat before they launch. IMO that would make more sense.

If they want to implement wash stations, this would make more sense to me too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)