Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Weed control

Message Subject: Weed control
Whopper Stopper
Posted 6/6/2018 1:37 PM (#909301)
Subject: Weed control

This year we have been doing quite a bit of fishing both in MN and WI. Most of it has been for bass but now with musky being open in both states, our attention has turned to them. A few of the lakes that we have been to have been poisoned for weed control. Does anyone else think that when they treat the lakes the fishing suffers?

We have noticed some pan fish floating and the musky action seems almost nonexistent. So my two questions are do you think the chemicals affect the bite? And if so, how do you approach fishing a body of water that has been treated? Maybe it’s just my imagination, curious to see what you people think.

WS

ToddM
Posted 6/6/2018 2:23 PM (#909305 - in reply to #909301)
Subject: Re: Weed control

Best thing to do is find out when they spray the lake and leave it alone until the weeded areas settle down. Indiana goes through this process as well.
Jeremy
Posted 6/6/2018 4:58 PM (#909326 - in reply to #909301)

WS,

Not musky-related but maybe a parallel?? On a fav. prairie lake where my two boys spent the summers, the DNR often put out plastic markers signifying some major "work" being done for weed control. This could be spraying, pellets or whatever else they try.

This is a fine pike lake with a great concentration of bass too. Whenever this weed-control work is done is REALLY messes with the pike catch and it "seems" the bass react poorly too altho obviously, we don't fish the same spots for bass.

I think it changes things a good bit!
supertrollr
Posted 6/6/2018 6:20 PM (#909333 - in reply to #909301)

one thing is sure if that junk can kill weed another organism will suffer for sure .what kind of weed is causing trouble milfoils i guess ?
Whopper Stopper
Posted 6/6/2018 6:23 PM (#909334 - in reply to #909301)

Thanks for the replies!

Jeremy your experiences very much mirror ours. We normally just go on to a different lake as the fishing is always poor for a period afterwards.

We also tried as Todd suggested to find out where and when WI was going to treat the different lakes. They responded saying they can't help us because they never know for sure which waters they will be at. They said we would be able to tell once on the lake...... OK

WS

Edited by Whopper Stopper 6/6/2018 6:30 PM
djwilliams
Posted 6/6/2018 8:59 PM (#909345 - in reply to #909301)

Herbicides in the H2O can't be good for the fish. I have seen small barges with a roller working the south side of Leech for what I think must be milfoil. I assume state DNRs must have rules for this.
Fishysam
Posted 6/6/2018 10:50 PM (#909350 - in reply to #909301)

When I see them spraying for water weeds I don't see fish activity, I move as far as I can
FlyPiker
Posted 6/7/2018 7:01 AM (#909355 - in reply to #909301)

If the lake is big enough, I fish the weed beds that have not been treated as many fish will move to these. On those like 200 acre lakes it does seem like the whole thing shuts off. Also, keep those lakes in your back pocket. Come September when those weeds have grown in thicker and greener than ever... Game on.
mtcook16
Posted 6/7/2018 8:19 AM (#909360 - in reply to #909301)

There is a local lake that just got a $200,000 grant to spray weeds for a second-consecutive year. It has crushed the fishing and put the fish into much different patterns, and scattered them all over. The lake is not overly weedy, but some of the lakeshore owners have a large weed mat between them and the main lake.....
Tackle Industries
Posted 6/19/2018 9:29 AM (#910345 - in reply to #909301)

In Florida its killing bass left and right and burning the skin off the live bass. NO its not good. Leave nature alone as much as you can. And all of this for ppl that want to jet ski on a shallow lake but screw the other tax payers who are fishermen? Just don't get it!
jonnysled
Posted 6/19/2018 9:36 AM (#910346 - in reply to #909301)

have seen it first-hand and my answer is a yes
Nershi
Posted 6/19/2018 12:42 PM (#910372 - in reply to #909301)

It definitely throws the fish in a funk for awhile.

I’ve never understood why the dnr allows this habitat destruction. It should only be legal if battling invasives.
jonnysled
Posted 6/19/2018 12:47 PM (#910374 - in reply to #910372)

on our chain it's all about the waterski club and lake association. they don't like weeds on their feet, so there is a summer job for kids that takes a pontoon out to take out the weeds. the problem is that the kids who do this are experts although experts in weed, just the wrong kind ... so, the raft gets filled while they enjoy theirs rolled and smoked. great job if you can get it. not sure how lake associations have jurisdiction over the DNR, but they do. i haven't seen them quite as active the past couple of years but for awhile there it was really penalizing to a few spots that are just goneski now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)