Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Cornbread Guide Service - "We comb the shorelines, not our hair!" mikie
- (Added by: ESOX Maniac)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> S Clevis

Message Subject: S Clevis
thescottith
Posted 3/19/2018 11:34 AM (#899326)
Subject: S Clevis

I mistakenly bought the S clevis that worth makes, It is the two in one kinda a clevis.
Should I use them or throw them out?

Thanks

SK
muskyroller
Posted 3/19/2018 12:47 PM (#899338 - in reply to #899326)
Subject: Re: S Clevis

Cool concept. Give it a try...or let me try em ;o)
ToddM
Posted 3/19/2018 3:41 PM (#899363 - in reply to #899326)

People use them. Since they stay separate i wonder if they would male a good clevise for different sized blades.
bigbite
Posted 3/19/2018 3:50 PM (#899368 - in reply to #899363)

That's a possibility Todd. I know I didn't care to run two dbl. 10s with them because of fouling issues.
thescottith
Posted 3/20/2018 8:50 AM (#899437 - in reply to #899326)

I'm not comfortable using these for my next build as they are for a customer.

Musky Roller you can have them, I live in Richfield MN. We could meet up sometime or something if you really want them.
ndsumiller
Posted 3/21/2018 12:40 PM (#899599 - in reply to #899326)

I have a Hypnotizer that uses those. It spins really easily, and I haven't had any issues with fouling. I also haven't thrown it all day either.
Landonfish
Posted 3/24/2018 4:12 PM (#899939 - in reply to #899326)

Junk soon as they get bent in the littlest they don’t work anymore
Sidejack
Posted 3/25/2018 12:18 AM (#899963 - in reply to #899326)

Had a few given to me, tried um, and not a big fan myself.
I ended up heating um near the center and bending them so they were a one piece opposing clevis.
Works well for 9's on up and slow rolls great.
FishReed
Posted 4/17/2018 11:41 PM (#903869 - in reply to #899326)
Subject: RE: S Clevis

Don't let anybody kid you...they work great and will keep any twin spinner bladed bait 180 degrees separate from each other....unlike 2 separate single clevises. I congratulate the guy who invented them. The only reason you don't see them at the stores on the mfg's baits is because of cost...2 single clevises are way cheaper than the new single S clevis. The big TV/Guide guys don't want to say anything because that would end their free bait sponsorship.

Edited by FishReed 4/17/2018 11:49 PM
Sidejack
Posted 4/18/2018 9:30 PM (#904020 - in reply to #899326)

They've been around for years and the feedback hasn't been good for several reasons, some of which you can read about here in a previous post from 2011 --> http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63...
If they worked as you describe, they'd have caught on by now as a few mfgr's have tried using them on their factory baits.
Spreading misinformation brings bad karma.
FishReed
Posted 4/19/2018 1:30 AM (#904042 - in reply to #904020)

Sidejack - 4/18/2018 10:30 AM

They've been around for years and the feedback hasn't been good for several reasons, some of which you can read about here in a previous post from 2011 --> http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63...
If they worked as you describe, they'd have caught on by now as a few mfgr's have tried using them on their factory baits.
Spreading misinformation brings bad karma.

Sorta like the Col-R-C-lector by Dr Loren Hill right?? LMAO....For a Manufacturer it is all about $$$,,,if you don't believe that why do these Cheap MFG's screw all the spinner-bait fisherman buyers when they use a cheap poorly spinning crane swivels on a 20 dollar spinner bait when they could have used a easy spinning ball bearing swivel?????????????? IT is all about maximizing the fish-bait dollars and 95% of fisherman buy into fiscal cash register rape job without a whimper. I just bought 288 #3 ball bearing swivels for $12.00 delivered to my door strictly for my custom 2 oz bucktail long arm spinner-baits and I need only 20. These ball bearing swivels will spin for 20 seconds, try to get that on a cheap crane swivel! Let's see...288/12.00 and that is about 4 cents a piece for a ball bearing swivel? ....How much would it cost a mfg for a ball bearing swivel on his 20 dollar spinner baits if he was buying by the 1000s??? It is the same with this S clevis debate. Also The same thing with a mfg not using a quick change clevis but a cheap metal folded clevis on crawler harnesses. How about those $20-25 Big Bondy baits with those cheap crane swivels that rotate 3 times as I just replaced them with ball bearing swivels that keep rotating for over 15 seconds?? ..... the list could go on and on on. Karma and misinformation is all about $$$ and how mfg's separate it from the fisherman and they wouldn't say crap if they had a mouthful....but's that Ok...I'm here to inform you what/why I do and then you do what your wallet dictates.

Edited by FishReed 4/19/2018 1:40 AM
Sidejack
Posted 4/19/2018 7:43 AM (#904058 - in reply to #904042)

Yer opinion is always allowed and welcome but you present in ranting fashion as if it's the only thing to consider/there's only one way, you've figured it out, and anything else is crazy to consider. Non-ball bearing swivels have their application, especially on spinnerbaits as they grind more and some folks believe that sonics/noise beneath the water result in more bites. Smooth operation is great when it comes to fishing reels but not always for baits.
Back to the "S" clevis debate - I really wanted to love them but they didn't work consistently for me, fouling with frequency when running double 10 blades and 10 blades typically open without issue and run consistently unless something is drastically wrong with the blades themselves or binding against the shaft. Also, as with the swivel some folks favor the sonics/noise (i.e. clanking, blades running into one another and stopping every so often, more grinding of the clevis against the beads, more vacuuming of the skirt towards the blades and even interrupting the spin, etc)
FishReed
Posted 4/19/2018 10:10 AM (#904075 - in reply to #904058)

Sidejack - 4/18/2018 8:43 PM

Yer opinion is always allowed and welcome but you present in ranting fashion as if it's the only thing to consider/there's only one way, you've figured it out, and anything else is crazy to consider. Non-ball bearing swivels have their application, especially on spinnerbaits as they grind more and some folks believe that sonics/noise beneath the water result in more bites. Smooth operation is great when it comes to fishing reels but not always for baits.
Back to the "S" clevis debate - I really wanted to love them but they didn't work consistently for me, fouling with frequency when running double 10 blades and 10 blades typically open without issue and run consistently unless something is drastically wrong with the blades themselves or binding against the shaft. Also, as with the swivel some folks favor the sonics/noise (i.e. clanking, blades running into one another and stopping every so often, more grinding of the clevis against the beads, more vacuuming of the skirt towards the blades and even interrupting the spin, etc)

Oh Pleeze...gimme a Great BIG break...sonic noises from the grinding of a cheap crane swivel??? ....YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! You expect me to believe that as an explanation of why a mfg uses a cheap crane swivel on a 20 dollar spinner-bait??..I thought I have heard everything! I agree ..some folks eat Tide Pods and snort condoms up their noses too right? LMFAO....Can you come up with a better believable explanation on why a mfg uses a cheap crane swivel instead of a ball bearing swivel that only Bigfoot would agree? It's all about $$$ Buddy and you are the kind that mfg's just love to fleece because you wouldn't say anything about being ripped off if it meant entrance into Heaven.....LMAO......Gawd, what an explanation! Sonic grinding of a cheap crane swivel....S Clevises work great and I prefer them 120% to 2 regular clevises....but you can use anything you want, but don't try to justify it because the mfg is doing everybody a favor!

Edited by FishReed 4/19/2018 10:10 AM
schro626
Posted 4/19/2018 11:00 AM (#904091 - in reply to #899326)
Subject: RE: S Clevis

I would hate to see what happens to the fishing buddy that misses a net job or burns the brats on the grill if we're gonna get this worked up over clevises.

They both work fine - I agree 100% that #10s have issues fowling, and they have very few drawbacks on standard clevises. Anything smaller, S-Clevises are just fine, although they will bind up and be useless as soon as the main wire gets a bend in it. Every bait I've built with s-clevises I have re-built with standard ones after a season.
Sidejack
Posted 4/19/2018 1:45 PM (#904111 - in reply to #899326)

Sheesh, they are pretty werked up eh?
~shrug~ guess i'll jest go on makin stuff up and trying to justify the greatness of major bait manufacturers.
ToddM
Posted 4/19/2018 6:45 PM (#904144 - in reply to #899326)

I always pay close attention to what i am putting on my corn flakes.

Edited by ToddM 4/19/2018 6:46 PM
Sidejack
Posted 4/19/2018 8:04 PM (#904154 - in reply to #904144)

ToddM - 4/19/2018 6:45 PM
I always pay close attention to what i am putting on my corn flakes.

Heh Heh,
Is it breast milk meant for an animals young?.. cuz, that's what dairy milk is FYI.
ToddM
Posted 4/20/2018 6:33 AM (#904174 - in reply to #904154)

I was thinking more like a funky warm lemonade or limeade if you ate asparagus.
14ledo81
Posted 4/20/2018 6:48 AM (#904177 - in reply to #899326)

And I thought life was hard for me...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)