Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Should've stuck to blugill fishing.
- (Added by: vegas492)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Solarez for clear coat

Message Subject: Solarez for clear coat
XCfranko
Posted 3/9/2018 9:27 PM (#895686)
Subject: Solarez for clear coat

Has anyone out there tried using Solarez products for the lure clear top coat? If so did you UV cure or us a catalyst?

Thanks in advance....
Gringo Loco
Posted 3/10/2018 11:42 AM (#895777 - in reply to #895686)
Subject: RE: Solarez for clear coat

I experimented with the UV cure some years back and felt it was a bit yellow for a topcoat and maybe somewhat brittle. I've also played with it as a wood sealer, especially for materials like balsa, and in that capacity it appears to work fine. I had trouble getting it to cure under various lights but found that sun exposure in the summer worked fine. There's a lot of data on Tackle Underground with people expressing both positive and negative views. This was a hot topic several years ago.
rocko
Posted 3/10/2018 10:17 PM (#895968 - in reply to #895686)
Subject: Re: Solarez for clear coat

I agree with Gringo. I have used it and while it gives a decent hard coating, it just doesn't have the luster of a good epoxy. 30 minute epoxy with a lure turner is a much better finished product, from my experience.
XCfranko
Posted 4/15/2018 4:18 PM (#903526 - in reply to #895686)
Subject: RE: Solarez for clear coat

I do a lot with UV set clear coats. I use the Solarez for setting my dive bills in the lure. I use a fine syringe and make a really clean looking bead around the bill.
I really like the Alumilite product. The worst part is the cost. You get .25 lb bottle (about 4 oz) for $20 plus shipping. You can get a complete hard set on the clear coat in 30 minutes and I mean hard. I have not seen a tendency to yellow. The finish is slightly matt, not high gloss, but, you can dip it in a automotive gloss clear and it looks great. I really like the thin coats you can apply, makes it look like factory made lure.
supertrollr
Posted 4/15/2018 5:58 PM (#903542 - in reply to #895686)
Subject: Re: Solarez for clear coat

you will find plenty of vids at youtube and info at lure making forum. ihave not covered a big piece of wood yet,but for now it's really good.most of the users at tu seems to also loving it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)