Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Leader questions

Message Subject: Leader questions
Bigbucks1985
Posted 1/23/2018 11:54 PM (#890410)
Subject: Leader questions

So I have some questions about leaders. I am a newbie at this Muskie fishing. This spring will be my second season fishing for tiger Muskie in Washington state. I have been making my own fluorocarbon leaders, I have been crimping the leader directly to each lure and crimping a small loop on the other end. I run a snap swivel on my main line and attach the leader loop to it. So each lure has an attached leader. My leaders are about 24". Do most guys just run a snap swivel at the end of the leader and attach each lure to the same leader? Also is there certain leader lengths that are better for certain types of baits?
VMS
Posted 1/24/2018 8:45 AM (#890421 - in reply to #890410)
Subject: Re: Leader questions

Hiya,

For many people, leader length is a preference. When I made my fluoro leaders, I’d make a loop on one end with a good barrel swivel, then on the other end I put a stainless ring with the loop. I’d attach my lures to the ring using a split ring.

Other people will do the same but use a snap instead to attach lure to leader.

For many as well they either use a steel leader or really heavy fluoro when throwing jerk baits and rubber baits. I make those leaders to be about 10” long but some will say make the leader the same length as the lure. Always have an in-line swivel of some sort and then use whatever you wish to attach lure to leader.

Steve
Brad P
Posted 1/24/2018 9:04 AM (#890423 - in reply to #890421)

Most will just use a snap and attach all lures to the same leader. As you get more advanced, you'll find that some baits do better with a welded ring/ split ring attachment (Gliders, WTD, and some Dive and Rise). This is the because the weight of the snap/swivel inhibits the action of the lure.

Just be aware that snaps will eventually fail, so keep an eye on them and change them as they lose their strength.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/27/2018 9:08 AM (#890674 - in reply to #890410)
Subject: RE: Leader questions

Bigbucks1985 - 1/23/2018 11:54 PM

So I have some questions about leaders. I am a newbie at this Muskie fishing. This spring will be my second season fishing for tiger Muskie in Washington state. I have been making my own fluorocarbon leaders, I have been crimping the leader directly to each lure and crimping a small loop on the other end. I run a snap swivel on my main line and attach the leader loop to it. So each lure has an attached leader. My leaders are about 24". Do most guys just run a snap swivel at the end of the leader and attach each lure to the same leader? Also is there certain leader lengths that are better for certain types of baits?

Beware of using loops at either end of a fluorocarbon leader: Your snap will wear through the fluorocarbon loops. Instead of a loop at the line end, tie on a small split ring or learn to tie your fluorocarbon leader directly to your super braid using back to back nail knots. I use the Tie-Fast Magnum Knot Tyer to tie + 80lb fluorocarbon leaders directly to my 65lb PowerPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyQDYxswDyo

Tie the super braid nail knot first then the fluorocarbon - 5 wraps on the super braid and 4 on the fluorocarbon. Tie your lure snap very tight, no loop. A drop of Lock-Tite Super Glue as extra insurance is a good thing.

Have fun!
Al

true tiger tamer
Posted 1/27/2018 5:32 PM (#890698 - in reply to #890410)

Most gliders work better with a straight, not braided steel leader as it cuts down on the bait fouling on the leader. Several of the old gliders came with a solid wire leader attached. Fluoro works fine for most baits but can be bitten off by big fish. Most of the people I fish with use 12" leaders for casting and longer leaders for trolling. I prefer 12" or smaller for casting and don't troll very often so I can't speak much on that subject. I tend to use titanium, or fluoro as I don't fish gliders too much, except during coldwater river fishing.
Bigbucks1985
Posted 1/28/2018 10:46 PM (#890769 - in reply to #890674)
Subject: RE: Leader questions

ESOX Maniac - 1/27/2018 7:08 AM

Bigbucks1985 - 1/23/2018 11:54 PM

Beware of using loops at either end of a fluorocarbon leader: Your snap will wear through the fluorocarbon loops. Instead of a loop at the line end, tie on a small split ring or learn to tie your fluorocarbon leader directly to your super braid using back to back nail knots. I use the Tie-Fast Magnum Knot Tyer to tie + 80lb fluorocarbon leaders directly to my 65lb PowerPro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyQDYxswDyo

Tie the super braid nail knot first then the fluorocarbon - 5 wraps on the super braid and 4 on the fluorocarbon. Tie your lure snap very tight, no loop. A drop of Lock-Tite Super Glue as extra insurance is a good thing.

Have fun!
Al

Good info thanks!
Wimuskyfisherman
Posted 1/29/2018 11:57 AM (#890795 - in reply to #890410)

Here is what I use:

Trolling: 3' of coated multistrand wire. The coating really helps for wear and tear. I use two double barrel crimps on each end.
Casting: 18" of multistrand non coated wire for most everything.
Casting jerks and walk the dog topwaters: about 12" solid wire leader(heavy but not too heavy. smaller than bucktail wire). No snaps or swivels on each end.
Casting clear/shallow: I purchase the heavy gauge fluoro leaders pre made. I think last ones I bought were Stealth tackle and about 18".

One more thing. Be careful with snaps... I only use high quality locking snaps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)