Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW-Full Moon July Morson Area

Message Subject: LOTW-Full Moon July Morson Area
CincySkeez
Posted 3/28/2019 9:09 AM (#933970)
Subject: LOTW-Full Moon July Morson Area

Going up to LOTW for the first time in July. Staying at Buena Vista the 12-20, will be in a 17 ft Lund Crossover.

Right now we are trying to figure out where our time would be best spent. Sab looks like you could spend a year fishing little sections. Are Miles and Obabikon a reasonable run from the Morson area, is the fishing any different than Sab as far as structure and clarity?

Don't need anything specific just want to hear some of your guys experiences in that part of the lake

Thanks
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/28/2019 9:17 AM (#933971 - in reply to #933970)
Subject: Re: LOTW-Full Moon July Morson Area

They are reasonable. The whole area accessible from Morson is relatively similar and you'll find fish on fishy looking spots throughout the area. I wouldn't over think it. There are a ton of fish in the Sab area close by so making runs up toward Miles is not necessary, but you certainly can do it if you feel like it.
VMS
Posted 3/28/2019 10:56 AM (#933984 - in reply to #933970)

Hiya,

Lots of good stuff close and the run up to Miles bay isn't bad...you can go any direction and find fish...

On the full moon week in July, though... I'd be looking for smaller, more overlooked areas rather than community spots... There will be a bunch of boats out there during that week which was very common when I planned my trips during that week.

Be sure to bring boat bumpers for the docks... If there is any wind from the west, it'll come in the channel, and any boats running north or south past the resort will send waves in...

Steve
NickD
Posted 3/28/2019 11:37 AM (#933987 - in reply to #933984)

A 2nd on the bumpers and I bring bungie ropes as well to BVR. Nice being so close to the main lake but it gets plenty rowdy at those docks.

You are on fish the moment you get in the boat there. Or you can basically drive as far as you would like in a day. I don't go to LOTW to fish within 2 miles of camp so we wander all over the place. One of the downsides of the Morson area is the "Canada" feel of the area is pretty low IMO. Big brown open water in most areas with lower islands and not particularly tall trees. But that big water is great for holding numbers of large fish.

The drive to Miles is super short and I encourage you to head up that way for a day and see what you think. It feels more like Canada towards the western end and I find that to be the most scenic water up there. But you will NOT be alone up that way during a July full.

There are differences in water clarity in the different areas that may be more or less to your liking. Have fun up there and explore. Mix up your baits and find the pattern for the day.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/29/2019 9:29 AM (#934070 - in reply to #933970)

Thanks for the replies. Figured we wouldn't be alone, but also figure it doesn't really matter on water that size.

We like fishing a little deeper clear water, just not gin clear. But have heard from multiple people that sand is key.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/29/2019 9:43 AM (#934074 - in reply to #934070)

CincySkeez - 3/29/2019 9:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. Figured we wouldn't be alone, but also figure it doesn't really matter on water that size.

We like fishing a little deeper clear water, just not gin clear. But have heard from multiple people that sand is key.

Deep and clear that area is not.

Hit multiple structures, once you find the fish just keep looking for similar spots. You wouldn’t think it would matter, but it may surprise you when you find a boat on every spot!

Great water there and you’ll find fish. Fish hard, fish fast. Don’t get discouraged. Miles bay is definitely worth the drive, and it isn’t that far. Enjoy and report back after your trip!
Propster
Posted 3/29/2019 4:56 PM (#934101 - in reply to #933970)

I disagree slightly with Pointer here. We run and gun a fair bit, especially when the fish are active. But many times, and this is what is so different about LOTW muskies, it may take several casts and fishing a spot thoroughly to get fish to show themselves. Different angles and cast backs, etc. There is a time to run and gun, but when the fish aren't "on", don't hesitate to slow way down and pick spots apart. You will catch more fish that way. And just bring lots of gas and don't be afraid to explore. We often run 20-25 miles to fish certain areas when conditions are right. And sometimes we have good action right near camp. Just don't limit yourself.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/29/2019 6:39 PM (#934104 - in reply to #934101)

Propster - 3/29/2019 4:56 PM

I disagree slightly with Pointer here. We run and gun a fair bit, especially when the fish are active. But many times, and this is what is so different about LOTW muskies, it may take several casts and fishing a spot thoroughly to get fish to show themselves. Different angles and cast backs, etc. There is a time to run and gun, but when the fish aren't "on", don't hesitate to slow way down and pick spots apart. You will catch more fish that way. And just bring lots of gas and don't be afraid to explore. We often run 20-25 miles to fish certain areas when conditions are right. And sometimes we have good action right near camp. Just don't limit yourself.

Once you’re dialed in to a pattern, I think this is likely a good approach. I have a tendency to fish too slow so I always tell myself to go faster and usually get to the in between stage you’re talking about here.

Like anywhere, let the fish tell you what they want.
Musky Brian
Posted 3/30/2019 8:41 AM (#934125 - in reply to #934104)

Miles Bay isn’t that great <shrugs>
CincySkeez
Posted 4/1/2019 8:52 AM (#934278 - in reply to #933970)

I'd say our group is more in the pick a spot apart camp. I also can't wait to explore water, trip is still several months away and I haven't stopped thinking about it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)