Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ultrex

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ultrex
jboutdoorguy
Posted 8/20/2017 5:47 PM (#874975)
Subject: Ultrex

Looking for comments from those of you that have them or have used one. I have a Fortrex now and love it but the Ultrex looks like a great motor. How is the power steering? I was excited that this was a "cable steer" but it appears to be a hybrid and still uses an electric motor to steer at all times? How is that to get use to coming from cable steer? If you have the motor turned 45 degrees to the right for example and take your foot off the pedal will the pedal stay in that spot or self center? I like being able to know what direction I am going as soon as I put my foot on the pedal without having to watch an arrow on the steering head. Without using spot lock or other automatic features do you think there is noticeable battery drain because the electric motor is being used every time you turn?
Fishysam
Posted 8/20/2017 6:56 PM (#874977 - in reply to #874975)
Subject: Re: Ultrex

Will be just like your fortrex except you can steer with 2 finger if you were in your rod locker, but at that point why not just spot lock? Haha it steers with an electric motor so it won't give you feedback if your going in reverse on power 10... basically it will take .01-4 hours to get used to based on your learning speed. I don't have one but have read hundreds of posts on the interweb.
BBT
Posted 8/21/2017 11:42 AM (#875051 - in reply to #874975)

Best thing I've bought all year. Took me all of 10mins to get used to it. I know some it'll take a little longer but basically the same as your fortrex. Spot lock is incredible! It's worth the money and then some. The craziest part is the battery drain, when using normally it is very comparable to your fortrex, but if you fish offshore (using spotlock) the battery drain is far less than if you were trying to hold in one spot with your fortrex. Overall I'd say battery life is noticeably better.
mtcook16
Posted 8/21/2017 1:11 PM (#875064 - in reply to #874975)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6WZ8JB0j4I
Here is a video breakdown of the motor which answers FAQs.
Dirt Esox
Posted 8/21/2017 6:41 PM (#875110 - in reply to #874975)

Best trolling motor ever made. Love mine.
pklingen
Posted 8/21/2017 9:02 PM (#875128 - in reply to #874975)

been using mine since april and averaging 5 days / week on it. i just love it. used a cable steer mk forever and thats what i'm used to so no adjustment time here. i love the fact that the motor won't spin all the way around. i use the i pilot constantly and the directional lock is awesome. motor has a lift assist piston and makes pulling up the 60" shaft really easy even for this retired old guy.

the only negative thing is the size of the pedal, it does have its size issues unless you have a rig with a recessed floor for a pedal.
mtcook16
Posted 8/22/2017 1:39 PM (#875194 - in reply to #874975)

There are aftermarket options for recessed pedal wells out there. Here's an install video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejs5wMBaCRA

Edited by mtcook16 8/22/2017 1:40 PM
Pedro
Posted 8/22/2017 1:47 PM (#875195 - in reply to #874975)

Have had mine for a month. The motor is unreal. It's the best of all worlds. Yesterday though my foot pedal locked up, needs a new sensor put in it. My motor was one of the earlier models and they have lots of issues with them. Friend has had his replaced and I know of probably 10 or more others who have had the same issue. Covered under warranty but a little annoying. They seem to have the problem solved now though from what I hear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)