Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> GoPro where to begin?

Message Subject: GoPro where to begin?
Pedro
Posted 11/27/2016 10:10 AM (#837440)
Subject: GoPro where to begin?

I've never owned one or used one. I would like to get one to mount on my windshield. I've done a lot of reading on-line and there seems to be pros and cons of all the models ranging from ease of use to price. Just looking for something that's easy to use.
What are your guys' experiences with what you use, what works great and what annoys you with your camera?

Thanks
Redlineracer12
Posted 11/30/2016 8:15 AM (#837710 - in reply to #837440)
Subject: Re: GoPro where to begin?

I've been shooting video of my fishing trips the last two years. I can tell you what I love most about my Gopro setup, I can put it on my head and start recording and literally go all day without taking it off or touching it (except to save videos if there was action). If you want to use it on your windshield you could look at something like this, and run it off the boat battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Switronix-GoPro-Hero4-4-Battery-Eliminator-...

When I started out I used the internal batteries (GoPro 3+ Black) and the battery life was about 2 hours tops when recording HD video. I have since gone to an external battery pack plugged in via the USB port, which can record for more than an entire day of fishing (external battery in my pants pocket). The nice thing is I can unplug the battery pack and still run off the internal battery for a bit or if I accidentally unplug it, it doesn't shut off like when you have no battery inside. I use 5 minute looping (5 one minute clips, deletes the oldest one after 5 minutes and starts a new one) which allows me to only save footage when something interesting happens. You just push the record button to start it, and the record button again when you want to stop and save the last 5 minutes.

I found when using the internal batteries I wouldn't want to stop fishing to change batteries so I would just take it off and of course the fish would cooperate after the camera was off and stowed away.

My setup:
GoPro 3+ black with headmount
Cheap Circular polarizer that screws on to the outside of the camera case (cuts down glare on surface of water)
Stock waterproof case with hole cut in the side to expose USB port, not waterproof anymore, but at least water resistant
USB cord that runs to 20k mah Anker battery
Glaucus_
Posted 11/30/2016 11:08 AM (#837727 - in reply to #837440)

I like the Hero4 Silver model, as the screen menus are better organized and easier to use than all the buttons on the Hero3. The rear display on the Hero4 is also very nice for getting it aimed properly. The Hero4 Session offers pretty much the same video performance at a much lower price if you're willing to go through the extra hassle of using WiFi to your phone to adjust most of the settings.
I haven't used the new Hero5, but the 4K video quality that the Hero4 Black and Hero5 offer is entirely unnecessary, imho. Human eyes can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K unless it's on an IMAX size screen. When making videos to watch on a computer or even big screen TV, that 1080p will as good as anyone can perceive.

Any of the Hero3 or newer models allow you to use the "looping" feature so that you can leave it running/recording all day without having to mess with deleting files, etc. when an SD card fills up. This dramatically reduces hassle, especially over the course of a week-long trip.
In the same way, charging as you go makes a big difference as mentioned above. I also drilled a hole in the side of the case to provide access to the charging port, than ran a USB cord to the cigarette lighter. My experience is that the tight fit of the case means it is still plenty water resistant even in strong rain or wave splash; I just wouldn't put it underwater.

I prefer a windshield mounting location as well, since I don't want anything on my head and I like the video to not jump around from when I move. I prefer a set mount over the clamps, so I combine the surf mount (strong, waterproof adhesive) and a gooseneck for flexibility in aiming. I install one surf mount on each side of the boat so I can cover either side that I'm fishing from, and run a USB charging cord from each side to the power plug.

GoPro Hero4 Silver
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHY-401-HERO4-Silver/dp/B00NIYJF6U/re...

Surf Mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-ASURF-001-Pro-Surf-Mounts/dp/B008FH58BQ...

Gooseneck:
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Gooseneck-Official-Mount/dp/B00J9RO2LS/...
Pedro
Posted 11/30/2016 5:32 PM (#837760 - in reply to #837440)

Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to using one next year.
stdevos
Posted 12/5/2016 12:45 PM (#838093 - in reply to #837440)

Good grief fellas, stop drilling holes in your waterproof housing! They sell "skeleton housing" for $5 on Amazon. It reduces the weight of the gropro on your head too.

Footage from a set location is better than nothing, but you'll likely be missing the best action. I keep it on my head, swapping batteries takes 2 seconds and you can usually do it while driving spot to spot.
Glaucus_
Posted 12/5/2016 2:15 PM (#838105 - in reply to #837440)

Yes, you should do what works for you, Seth...this is just recommendations on technique. We are all just amateurs doing this for the added enjoyment it brings to the fishing experience, so whether someone does it the same or different is fine if it works for them. I don't think there's a "right" way, just ideas on what works for people.

I've watched your videos using it mounted on your head. You guys catch a lot of fish, and you get a lot of great video. At times your head movement is disorienting and you also miss some key moments when you're looking around - like filming the net instead of the muskie shaking off your brother's line. A static-mount camera on that side of the boat would have captured those cool head-shakes. I find that 2 cameras on the windshield will entirely cover one side of the boat: with one angled forward and one back, the wide-angle lenses overlap and are a long way better than nothing when it comes to capturing all the action. We just make it a point to net the fish on that side of the boat as well.

With 2 cameras running constantly for a 14-hour day, and assuming a 2-hour battery life, that's changing batteries 7 x day x 7 days x 2 cameras = ~100 battery changes in a weeklong trip! Not to mention charging 14 batteries every night. Getting rid of those inconveniences made me enjoy running video more, and that matters too.
Redlineracer12
Posted 12/5/2016 2:38 PM (#838109 - in reply to #838105)

stdevos - 12/5/2016 12:45 PM
Good grief fellas, stop drilling holes in your waterproof housing! They sell "skeleton housing" for $5 on Amazon. It reduces the weight of the gropro on your head too.

The skeleton though is not at all water resistant. At least the factory cases can still hold up to light spray from boating, fish splashing, and occasional rain drops here and there. Besides, you can get a factory case on ebay to modify for about as cheap as a skeleton anyways.

Glaucus_ - 12/5/2016 2:15 PM
With 2 cameras running constantly for a 14-hour day, and assuming a 2-hour battery life, that's changing batteries 7 x day x 7 days x 2 cameras = ~100 battery changes in a weeklong trip! Not to mention charging 14 batteries every night. Getting rid of those inconveniences made me enjoy running video more, and that matters too.

Agreed!!! Charging and changing batteries practically becomes a full time job. I'm already fishing long hours and trying to eat decent meals while I'm on "vacation" I don't need it to be any more work! With the battery pack I really only charge one battery once per day, and if we're sitting around we can watch some videos in the evening while winding down before bed.

stdevos
Posted 12/6/2016 2:48 PM (#838211 - in reply to #837440)

I didn't mean to say there was a right and wrong way to do it. I do both depending on the situation. I've got film of fish caught with it mounted on the windshield, back of the boat on a pole, and on my head. I prefer the footage with the cam on my head because it's an exact memory of the circumstances and you get the action that I'm most interested in seeing. You usually get the follow/strike/fight/fish that get off/fish swimming with it's head out of water in the distance, etc. Most people also don't have the luxury of 2 gopro's to shoot the front and the back.

I just didn't think it was a good idea to tell somebody who just got a gopro to start drilling holes in the waterproof housing when there are better options. The gopro itself is water resistant, it can get a little wet and be just fine. Just don't submerge it obviously. And if you drill a hole in it, then you definitely don't have something that's waterproof for when it's pouring out. Audio is much better with the skeleton case too.

Switching batteries is not a big deal. I can swap one out in 10 seconds and like I said, doesn't take away fishing time if you do it while motoring between spots. I agree, if you had 2 cameras swapping batteries would be annoying.

I actually just upgraded to the Hero5. Waterproof w/o a case, doesn't have that fish-eye look, wind cancelling audio, and image stabilization. Plus is has voice control, although I'm not sure how much I'll use that. If you plan on just always having it plugged in, maybe save some coin and just get a Session?
stdevos
Posted 12/6/2016 3:06 PM (#838217 - in reply to #837440)

Also need to mention, you don't need 14 batteries. You need 3 total batteries and a dual charger, will only set you back $20 for wasabi. One battery takes ~2.5 hours to recharge and ~2 hours to kill, so if you keep rotating you always have a fresh one.
muskyroller
Posted 12/6/2016 3:12 PM (#838219 - in reply to #838217)

I just got the GoPro Session (just looking to get into it, before investing a lot)...not quite sure how the internal battery work on this thing, but is this something I can get different batteries for and swap out?

Found my answer - nope, have to recharge whenever necessary. Bummer. Might have to go with the Hero 4 Silver...I guess they're close in price.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)