Trailering cover options for Lund Fisherman 1850 ?
lhousesoccer
Posted 4/1/2003 8:45 AM (#65433)
Subject: Trailering cover options for Lund Fisherman 1850 ?

I bought a Lund Fisherman 1850 last fall. It was a showroom demo and it came rigged with a minn kota trolling motor on the bow. At the time, Lund was running a promo where you got a free $600 mooring cover, some hats etc. if you bought a boat.

The mooring cover came during the winter, but when I took it to the warehouse where I was storing the boat to put it on, I realized that it was "form fitting" - meaning it would only go on the boat if I unbolted the trolling motor from the bow. This is ok I guess for long term storage, but impractical for everyday use during the season.

Questions :

1) Can this mooring cover be used for trailering ? If so, I might consider taking it and the boat to a custom canvas awning place nearby to have them modify the cover to fit with the trolling motor in place.

2) If the answer is no to the above, what do other people in similar situations do ? I'd like a trailering cover for when I take the boat long distances. It minimizes road grime from getting inside the boat and provides added security for gear inside the boat (out of sight, out of mind).

Looking in the Cabelas and Bass Pro catalogues at their trailering covers, I dont see any boats shown covered with extra space up front for trolling motors.

What kind of cost am I looking at for such a cover ? Do these also cover the motor cowling ?

Thanks to everyone who replies .....

Shawn
Shep
Posted 4/1/2003 9:05 AM (#65436 - in reply to #65433)
Subject: RE: Trailering cover options for Lund Fisherman 1850 ?

I've been told the Lund Mooring cover is not for trailering, it will eventually develop tears. If you want to try it as a trailering cover, you could get the Minn Kota bracket which allows you to remove the TM easily, and then the cover should fit fine.

I had Custom Faberkin in Fondy make my cover for my Lund last year. They do a really good job, it looks and fits really nice. About $400.
MuskyPippo
Posted 4/1/2003 11:43 AM (#65451 - in reply to #65436)
Subject: RE: Trailering cover options for Lund Fisherman 1850 ?

I had a custom cover put on my 620, it was around $600 and is absolutely beautiful.

I had it done at Action Marine in Burlington, WI near Kenosha. Their canvas guy did the cover for my SmokerCraft and so I had him do it on my new boat and I am very happy. It really takes a beating.

-Phil