Spreader Hooks on topwater lures
deantre
Posted 8/27/2014 4:42 PM (#727362)
Subject: Spreader Hooks on topwater lures

I am curious how you feel about spreader hooks on topwater lures. I fish the Chippewa Flowage mainly and have noticed a history of using spreader hooks there.
schleprock82
Posted 8/27/2014 6:00 PM (#727379 - in reply to #727362)
Subject: RE: Spreader Hooks on topwater lures

Hi Dean,
Getting ready for your trip? I bought some globes from Tim last year he made custom for me that I requested spreaders. Absolutely love them! Bought 4 of them, one has that special sound to it and gets used most. I think spreaders help your hooking percentage. You also catch a few more weeds though. Hope to stop over and see you guys the second week. Hit a snag on the resort and trying to work thru things to stay on course. Hope to see you and Baker soon.

Marv
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/28/2014 8:35 AM (#727446 - in reply to #727362)
Subject: RE: Spreader Hooks on topwater lures

I prefer spreaders on my big globes and larger creepers. I use slightly larger spreader hooks(often 2 & 3x 774) than most, but my hookups are definitely better on the lures mentioned above, especially the larger models. With creepers in particular, a spreader or dropper can and will save the day for you more than once, when the fish comes up from very close to eat the lure, and opens its mouth only to 'pop' the wing and subsequently the lure, out of the way. I've seen this happen numerous times, and really where the Joel Wick dropper becomes deadly, but the spreader pays dividends here too. Just remember to use heavy enough equipment. 15 years ago we were putting small spreader hooks on, only to lose big fish. You're better off not using them at all, if you run equipment that is too light. Fish hooked on a single spreader will be tossing the lure around so the hook, no matter the size, needs to be strong. Ryan Jinkerson makes all of my Globes, while he and Joel Wick make the creepers(anyone hear from Garrett Tesch or Ev Kolstedt lately?), and will/would set your lure up with proper hooks/spacing upon ordering.