Yamaha T8 question
4reukmuskies
Posted 8/24/2014 3:31 PM (#726863)
Subject: Yamaha T8 question

My dad has a buddy who has a Yamaha T8 that he took off his Lund proV this year because he just didn't use it. I have a chance to buy it for a decent price, but he has the remote throttle option instead of the tiller and I doubt that is something he wants to remove from his boat. Do any of you know if I can add a tiller handle to that motor and if so will it be worth the added cost and hassle?

Thanks,

Craig
warrens
Posted 8/25/2014 10:24 AM (#726941 - in reply to #726863)
Subject: RE: Yamaha T8 question

Sent you a PM.
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/26/2014 7:41 AM (#727044 - in reply to #726863)
Subject: RE: Yamaha T8 question

They can easily be converted, whether or not it's a good deal depends on the price, and how much you're willing to hassle with it.

You can even swap the components from a T-8 with a T 9.9; the 2007 T-8 that came with my boat (621) didn't push it along muskie enough so I traded a friend for his 2008 T-9.9 tiller he was getting ready to trade in. The shop I used for the conversion was able to swap out the components of my T-8 remote with the newer T-9.9 tiller.

I was honestly concerned that the throttle would be sloppy due to the swap, but it’s been the best remote so far… super smooth with no flat spots.

The obvious question; why not just pick up another remote?
4reukmuskies
Posted 8/26/2014 1:36 PM (#727114 - in reply to #726863)
Subject: Re: Yamaha T8 question

Thanks for the reply guys and Jerry good to know. Another remote isn't out of the question still trying to see what all my options are and what may be the most cost effective way to go. I don't have the motor yet, we have just had a light conversation about it but I'm fairly certain a fair deal for everyone could be reached. Another question is about mounting it. Do those get the mounting bolts drilled through the transom or do they mount clamp on style?

Craig
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/7/2014 7:48 PM (#729070 - in reply to #727114)
Subject: Re: Yamaha T8 question

4reukmuskies - 8/26/2014 1:36 PM

Thanks for the reply guys and Jerry good to know. Another remote isn't out of the question still trying to see what all my options are and what may be the most cost effective way to go. I don't have the motor yet, we have just had a light conversation about it but I'm fairly certain a fair deal for everyone could be reached. Another question is about mounting it. Do those get the mounting bolts drilled through the transom or do they mount clamp on style?

Craig

Clamp on style with 2 lag bolts on my rig.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(T-9.9.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments T-9.9.jpg (61KB - 187 downloads)