Cisco Kid magnum lip
Old Guy
Posted 8/11/2014 12:40 PM (#724969)
Subject: Cisco Kid magnum lip

Looking for some info from the lure doctors here on replacing the metal lip on the large Cisco Kid with a magnum size lip for trolling.

I recall having read something about this at one time but there is not much info from searches.

Has anyone tried this and had any success?

My efforts have resulted with one that has an action I can best describe as a shallower, halting, forward motion with a small rise by having the lip near horizontal and bending it down slightly. It seems to actually lurch forward then almost stop and rise for a second or so then shoot forward again,  ...think jerkbait

For any wizards who actually have experimented, can you get some wiggle along with that lurching forward motion?   That's what I am looking for; I suspect it would be great but can't get it.

If you have any ideas beyond trial and error I'd like to hear them....or is this a dead end ? 

Any luck with this using the stock lip on the bait ? 

CiscoKid
Posted 8/12/2014 9:58 AM (#725099 - in reply to #724969)
Subject: RE: Cisco Kid magnum lip

I have no experience with trolling the Kids so bear that in mind. However, the lip I like to put on the Kids are the big lip from the Ojibwe divers. Problem is you need to get an Ojibwe diver for just the lip. I assume the lip you are trying is the one from like Rollie and Helens with the double line tie? Same lip that comes on most countdown sharks as well. The benefit of all these lips are they are stainless, and thus you can bend them to tweak them for how you want them to work. To a point at least. Try bending the lip to get it closer to your desired action. Usually bending down (away from nose) makes it run shallower, and adds more wiggle. Bending it up (near the nose) adds depth, but reduces the wiggle. Bend it far enough up and it starts getting you the lurching/choppy type of action.

Hope this helps.
mreiter
Posted 8/12/2014 1:56 PM (#725141 - in reply to #724969)
Subject: Re: Cisco Kid magnum lip

Also adding weight to the Kid will help get the desired action you are looking for. Playing with hook size and adding solder to the front or middle hook, along with bending the lip will give it different action. Each Cisco Kid is not the same so trial and error is best.

MR
Slamr
Posted 8/12/2014 5:16 PM (#725186 - in reply to #724969)
Subject: Re: Cisco Kid magnum lip

I would be willing to wager that the folks at suick would send you replacement lips.
Bill Schwartz
Posted 8/12/2014 6:50 PM (#725207 - in reply to #724969)

Years back I would put the large Ojibwa lip on the Big Cisco Kids. Worked great for trolling. I built the die's for Dick Gries for both of his deep divers and when I did the large one I made sure the hole pattern would fit the big Cisco Kid.
Russ Smith owns the company now so he might have some of the lips your looking for. I looked around and I don't have any left.
On the bottom lure I used a lip from Moores Lures ( I think)
I flattend out the cup on the lip and the 2 line ties then added a wire I bent up for the line tie. That worked good. It was the prototype for the large Ojibwa.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Cisco_kid.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cisco_kid.JPG (110KB - 254 downloads)
Old Guy
Posted 8/12/2014 7:35 PM (#725217 - in reply to #724969)

Thanks a million, for all the replies.

The tip about pounding the lip flat is outstanding, I never thought of it. 

If I learn anything, I'll post it here.  If I can get the 'lurch forward' and a stop/rise with any wiggle at all,  I think it will be a winner...after all, jerkbaits work well...this would be essentially a jerkbait that you don't have to 'work' when trolling  because that would be built in. 

Also....I would make one just for deep trolling with a normal crankbait action. 

CiscoKid
Posted 8/13/2014 6:56 AM (#725269 - in reply to #724969)

Dang it Bill I wish I knew that before you sold the company! I am going to have to get in touch with Russ I guess!
Bill Schwartz
Posted 8/13/2014 11:43 AM (#725324 - in reply to #725269)

CiscoKid,
I didn't sell the company, Dick did. I just built him the dies for the diving lips.
Smitty talked to me about the dies over the winter and he said he was not sure if he had all the tooling so who knows if he even has it. There was a big mix up with the Schwingle family (who bought it from Dick) and Russ when he got it.

CiscoKid
Posted 8/13/2014 12:13 PM (#725326 - in reply to #724969)

Dang I need some of those lips.