Red Hook Tip
Ranger
Posted 3/26/2003 12:03 PM (#64832)
Subject: Red Hook Tip

Last winter I saw a movement toward using red trebles on tip ups, both for walleye and pike. And they did work better for me, too, it seemed. But red hooks can be hard to find, right? Well, try this - take a small file and rough up your hook, then go over it with a permanent red marker. The hook is both red and "glinty" where the bare metal shines through. Also, the ink prevents corrosion.

I was already doing this for the tips of musky bait hooks, painting them red after sharpening, in order to retard corrosion. The ink lasts a long time on the hooks, it pretty works well.

And that's my tip of the week.
Mark H.
Posted 3/26/2003 12:31 PM (#64838 - in reply to #64832)
Subject: RE: Red Hook Tip

Good tip Ranger..

So what do the rest of you think; do red hooks catch more fish or fisherman..?

Reef Hawg
Posted 3/26/2003 12:44 PM (#64839 - in reply to #64838)

I do better with painted hooks than non for live baiting steelhead and smallies, never tried for muskies though and should.
MrBluegill
Posted 3/26/2003 5:46 PM (#64852 - in reply to #64832)

I have written an article regarding the use of red colored hooks. it is on the articles section of this site or you can click on it here. I have had more than excellent results with red bleeding bait hooks over black nickel or bronze hooks. In the article there is something explained as "gill flash" that triggers the fish's natural instinct. A good thing to try is next time you are by an aquarium with gamefish (bluegills, walleyes, bass, muskie,etc...) take a lazer pointer and shine it on the bottom or on a log...Watch the fish go crazy! Good luck!
Troy
http://icefishing.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/03.26.2003/171/Daiichi...
lobi
Posted 3/27/2003 11:27 AM (#64916 - in reply to #64832)

I have talked to several people about RED hooks and the claims seem to be strong. I love the idea of the red permanant marker. I was not sure if I was ready to buy a bunch of red hooks, but I will try the marker for sure. Anyone else out there have any testimonials? Even if it is only a confidence factor the fisherman has in his head, that isn't all bad either.

Posted 3/27/2003 12:20 PM (#64919 - in reply to #64832)
Subject: RE: Testing New Forum Format

Actually, red hooks were made available way back in the teens and 20's. Some of the old bait manufactures, i.e. Heddon, provided ceratin baits with red hooks. Being a long time antique lure collector I've come across many old baits that have the hooks painted red. Must be something to it!